C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird clutch noise from monster stage3??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 PM
avenger88
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird clutch noise from monster stage3??

Just wanted to know if any1 knows what would cause a pretty loud like skreaching / squeling noise when you start going from nuetral to 1st?my buddies monster stage 3 clutch just started making this noise tonight when taking off. He doesnt know what to make of it... neither do i lol
Old 05-07-2011, 01:16 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

The disc is glazed as is the flyweel surface and pressure plate. You can de glaze it by doing some aggressive starts. Let the clutch out fast at around 3000 rpm. It will make the noise stop temporarily....It seems to come back after some normal city driving though.

I had the same troubles with my Level 3 and I wound up switching to a Level 2.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 AM
SMOKIN91RS
Advanced

Default jk

im not sure if its the glazing or the throw out bearing but mine sqeauls often also, i drive my car mostly on the street and some times it requires you to ride the cltuch a little , doesnt help with a big cam the car doesnt want to roll through a parking lot at 5mph with out bucking. i see this causing the glaze
Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 AM
AntonioZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I get it now and then after city driving, or when the car sits in the garage for a few days not being driving. Warm it up with some driving, and noise goes away. No big deal
Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

You can pop the clutch on the highway(ie 3rd gear@70) to deglaze it. Around town try to adjust your release to slip it as little as possible. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss further in detail.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
marvinseah
Instructor

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
You can pop the clutch on the highway(ie 3rd gear@70) to deglaze it. Around town try to adjust your release to slip it as little as possible. Feel free to call me if you want to discuss further in detail.
What do you mean "pop" the clutch? Are you saying to maintain a speed of 70 in 3rd and depress the clutch?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:15 AM
01_torch_red_vette
Pro

Originally Posted by marvinseah
What do you mean "pop" the clutch? Are you saying to maintain a speed of 70 in 3rd and depress the clutch?
i would say while coasting at 70 in neutral put it in 3rd and let the clutch out and give it plenty of throttle. should mimic taking a hard launch in first.

my level 3 likes to make a little noise on the first take off after sitting for a while. looks like i need to go have some fun. I've also noticed when shifting gears there is a bit of momentary resistance going into gear. notice it at lower rpm shifting really, and when going in to 1st or reverse while sitting still. sometimes I have to let the car roll an inch or two before i feel the shifter go fully in to reverse. its not a huge problem, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. not sure if i should be concerned though
Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 AM
C5blownz06
Advanced

He means get up to 70 mph push and push clutch in, rev it to 5K and let it out fast.

Monster clutches are famous for creeping with clutch in trying to get it into gear as clutch isnt fully disengaging. Big problem when WOT shifting if its doing that. Its a well known problem of Monster clutches on our cars doing this. They recommend using an adjustable clutch master cylinder when it does that or a shim behind the slave both of which should not have to be done in my opinion with a single disc clutch that is suppose to be a stock replacement type.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:45 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Monster stage 3 here and mine sqwaks as well. ive had my cluctch over year and its done the same thing each time. I finally did a burnout the other day and it dissappeared temporarily. Its not a huge concern of mine as long as it functions.

Originally Posted by 01_torch_red_vette
. I've also noticed when shifting gears there is a bit of momentary resistance going into gear. notice it at lower rpm shifting really, and when going in to 1st or reverse while sitting still. sometimes I have to let the car roll an inch or two before i feel the shifter go fully in to reverse. its not a huge problem, and doesn't seem to be getting any worse. not sure if i should be concerned though
^^^^My shifts became like this at WOT. Not sure it our symptoms are related
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

you guys that are having problems shifting, when is the last time you flushed out the clutch fluid?

Dirty fluid will cause that. Dirt brings air with it. Air will not allow tthe fluid to move the slave cylinder and therefore the clutch will not release properly.

As far as noise, I havent heard anythiing bothersome from my stage 3 yet. I do drive it pretty aggressively though.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 AM
01_torch_red_vette
Pro

I keep up on the clutch fluid, but last time i just used a syringe instead of the remote bleeder. I don't think mine is fluid related though. I've had a Tick Master and hated how stiff the pedal got. I've had ACL surgery on my left knee a few years back and it was too much for my comfort with the tick. If I end up having to drop the clutch to shim it I won't be staying with a monster. Probably go for a RPS and be done with it. Between the occasional chatter, the creep getting in to gear, and now the noise I am not that impressed.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5blownz06
He means get up to 70 mph push and push clutch in, rev it to 5K and let it out fast.

Monster clutches are famous for creeping with clutch in trying to get it into gear as clutch isnt fully disengaging. Big problem when WOT shifting if its doing that. Its a well known problem of Monster clutches on our cars doing this. They recommend using an adjustable clutch master cylinder when it does that or a shim behind the slave both of which should not have to be done in my opinion with a single disc clutch that is suppose to be a stock replacement type.
Your're correct on the first statement, but not on the second. Most vehicles do not require a shim or adjustable master cylinder, but sometimes all the tolerances from the back of the crank, bellhousing, and face of the transmission are all slightly off making it necessary. I'm not sure if you're speaking from experience as you're pretty new, but noticed you posted in a thread with a video of one of our clutches in action and can clearly see it's not creeping. As stated the fluid needs to be maintained as it's not an air tight system and the fluid absorbs water/contaminants, so it needs to be flushed periodically. The Level 3 is a street/strip clutch that has been proven numerous times to hold 700rwhp and is in over a thousand daily driven LS vehicles.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 05-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Same problem with my Monster Stage 3, I'll have to try the clutch "pop" method.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
C5blownz06
Advanced

I'll start a poll thread on creeping issues here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...sengaging.html
Old 05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
just inc
Instructor

Originally Posted by avenger88
Just wanted to know if any1 knows what would cause a pretty loud like skreaching / squeling noise when you start going from nuetral to 1st?my buddies monster stage 3 clutch just started making this noise tonight when taking off. He doesnt know what to make of it... neither do i lol
Same noise when taking off in first with my stage 3 and tick master.

How much power are you guys making that are running the stage 3?
Does it squeal at your power level?

I have 428rwhp and have noticed that the squeal is worse if I have a passenger and the ac is on. I bought my clutch planning on having a sc in the futher. The stage 3 is built to hold 700hp and I'm thinking the closer I get to 700hp the less squeal there will be. What do you guys think? I'm sure chris "PRE-ZO6" might have the answer!

I might be trying to find an excuse to buy a sc!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by just inc

I have 428rwhp and have noticed that the squeal is worse if I have a passenger and the ac is on. I bought my clutch planning on having a sc in the futher. The stage 3 is built to hold 700hp and I'm thinking the closer I get to 700hp the less squeal there will be. What do you guys think? I'm sure chris "PRE-ZO6" might have the answer!

i make 412/380 and i squeal. Hehe with my recent cam install tho its kinda hard to hear
Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by just inc

I think a supercharger would give the clutch more of a work out, as it's not even breaking a sweat at your current power level...now my answers are not to be used as a persuasion tactic to convince the girlfriend/wife why you need more power

Get notified of new replies

To Weird clutch noise from monster stage3??

Quick Reply: Weird clutch noise from monster stage3??