C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller rockers on Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 AM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Roller rockers on Ls1

I want a set of roller rockers! I'm asking for advise on which set to get. I don't really know what cam is in the motor other than its a comp. and I don't want to get into machining or spaced valve covers. I can do what is necessary concerning push rods though. Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by bracketshark; 04-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I have been happy with my Yella Terra rockers. Only warning though, to correctly shim and set up you may need to clearance the valve covers of any rockers you buy. Also, LS1howto is wrong on setting these up so don't follow it. You need to shim for wipe first, then measure for pushrod length. These rockers can be set up with a very narrow centered pattern if you take the time to do it correctly. That is their main advantage over stock, not a hp gain. If you are buying for a hp gain, you are wasting money.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:11 PM
SweetS10v8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best rockers out there are the stockers. Simply upgrade the trunion and you have the best rockers for $135.

"Roller rockers" put weight right where you dont want it, over the tip of the valve.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:59 PM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed a set of Yella Terra Ultra Lts on my Z06 recently. I had to remove the baffle on the d/s valve cover as they were hitting it. Using the provided shim on my oem 243 heads & the wipe pattern was good to go but that doesn't necessarily mean all are the same.

In all honesty, my car has had a .600+ lift cam in it for 50K miles on the stockers and I didn't see any unusual wear on the rockers or valves. But if you want full rollers, the YT Ultras are a solid choice.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

SLP 1.85 rockers are the stock rockers set up to 1.85 and then trunion modified by Comp. Only problem is that they're way overpriced at about $600 a set. One set that I find interesting (I've been researching rockers also) is the Comp Ultra Gold 1.82 aluminum rockers. They seem to be the only ones, in my searching anyway, that haven't had any issues like cracking, spitting bearings, etc. However, as mentioned you will not get big power from rockers, though, in my searching, those in the 1.8-1.85 area appear to boost the top end by 12-15hp but are most advantageous in boosting power "under the curve". In other words, power and torque seem to improve all the way through, but not tremendously. In addition, you better find out what cam you have so you're not busting springs or bouncing a valve off a piston. I do not claim to know a whole lot here as I'm still in the investigative phase, and it seems very difficult to find someone who dynoed before and after a rocker installation and tune. Everyone seems to have added other components, also. Very difficult to quantify effect of a single component that way.
Ed
Old 04-17-2011, 08:12 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

I saw one dyno of a set of Yella Terra on a built motor, with rockers being the only change. HP increase was 5 hp.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I saw one dyno of a set of Yella Terra on a built motor, with rockers being the only change. HP increase was 5 hp.
Do you happen to know if they were the stock ratio or not? I've heard of about 5hp increases with going to rollers from stock rockers, both being the same ratio. Also, do you happen to remember what the two graphs looked like throughout the total power and torque band? Thanks!
Ed

Last edited by C5XTASY; 04-17-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 PM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

How about the Scorpions advertised on the forum? They advertise no machining, lifetime warranty, using the stock push rods, with the stock valve covers. I'm also having trouble convincing myself that push rod length doesn't affect roller position on the valve stem. I'm not calling BS I just can't get it straight in my head. Check these out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...3-and-ls9.html

Last edited by bracketshark; 04-17-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I ran Yella Terra 1.8s on my stock LS6 and picked up 8 to 12 hp under the curve, no additional total RWHP. I'm now running 1.7s YTs on my head and cammed Lingenfelter LS6. Both sets fit without any problems and both work/worked great.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

5 HP increase? are you serious? no way would I go through all that trouble for 5 hp. sorry

only time you need roller rockers is when your cam lift is over .600
Old 04-18-2011, 04:54 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
5 HP increase? are you serious? no way would I go through all that trouble for 5 hp. sorry

only time you need roller rockers is when your cam lift is over .600
I wouldn't run the stockers on bronze bushings, saw too much guide wear when I last did this.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bracketshark
How about the Scorpions advertised on the forum? They advertise no machining, lifetime warranty, using the stock push rods, with the stock valve covers. I'm also having trouble convincing myself that push rod length doesn't affect roller position on the valve stem. I'm not calling BS I just can't get it straight in my head. Check these out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...3-and-ls9.html
Myself and some friends had bad luck with Scorpion Rockers about 2yrs ago. Some rockers were breaking in half! They were cracking because the material was to thin and soft (casting). I did hear from a scorpion rep that they addressed the problem and redesigned them now but IDK. I went to Harland Sharps after that.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
bracketshark
Burning Brakes

I'm not looking for HP gains, I'll never use what its got anyway. The cam in the car IS supposed to be over .600 lift so I'm sure the valves would welcome the reduced friction of the rockers sliding across their stem. I guess I'm leaning towards the Yellow Terras after the above comments, but I hate to buy what everyone else already has, unless they are just the obvious choice. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I installed the Yella Terras as part of my valve train upgrade during my SC build...
Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I was given a free set of Harland Sharp RRs when I had to send my TF heads back for a free rebuild several years ago. They've run great, with no issues, and fit under the stock covers. Not a racer, or a hard runner, so I couldn't tell you about their toughness.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
TLKSCHP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried to install the Yella Terra on my 98 and don't even come close to fitting under the valve covers. I'm not happy at the moment and searching for answers with no luck
Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TLKSCHP
I just tried to install the Yella Terra on my 98 and don't even come close to fitting under the valve covers. I'm not happy at the moment and searching for answers with no luck
Are they hitting the baffles or the heads? My valve covers have no baffles or bosses for the coil pack bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To Roller rockers on Ls1

Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 PM
HiVoltge
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TLKSCHP
I had no clearance issues with the YT's with the valve covers....
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 PM
TLKSCHP
Burning Brakes

I have no baffles or anything. I even took the shims out and pushrods. still held my covers up by .250 to .375. They also had no clearance on the pushrod side, rockers were rubbing the heads. The only thing different is I have Patriot Performance Heads with larger springs and valves.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 PM
TLKSCHP
Burning Brakes

Maybe this also has a difference. I bought them through a vendor on here and they sent me granatelli 510001 and said they were the same thing, maybe they are not because i found this saying you might have to double up the gaskets. http://old.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=114

Quick Reply: Roller rockers on Ls1