C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Choice Michelin Pilots Sport A/S Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Smooth9883
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Tire Choice Michelin Pilots Sport A/S Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

The tread on the goodyears is almost completely gone. It is time for a new tire and it has come down to two choices. I wanted to stay with the extended mobility tire but I also wanted to cut down on noise from the goodyears.

From what I've read the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 are the ones to be looking at.

I'm really trying to reduce unsprung weight so if anyone knows the difference in weight for either tire that would be appreciated. I haven't tracked my car but I do drive aggressively on occasions. I also don't have a fear of driving in the rain. I want at least the performance and the stiffness of the goodyear.

So which one would you choose?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

PS2 are a good tire as long as your HP isn't crazy. The ride much nicer than the runflats
Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
adrian951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike04
PS2 are a good tire as long as your HP isn't crazy. The ride much nicer than the runflats
Why do you say that?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:04 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS2 but I'm biased.

Never had any issue with them in the rain or dry. One of the best tires I've used, a little pricey but they work

I've used Kuhmo's, Pirelli, Goodyear, Firestone, Yoko's and the Michelin's are the best I've had.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Eric Weige
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly I got rid of the run flats as soon as I got my car, got rid of the wheels too… put zo6 18-19's on it and am running BFG G2's on the front and Nitto Invo's on the back… I ran the 555's and the NT05's, but IMO the invo is a great all around tire.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

PS2's here on my C5Z. I highly recommend them if you don't have an issue with the price.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 AM
pcbunn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PS2's on my '01.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 AM
500hp
Burning Brakes

Location: It's more of a 'town'. Iowa (we make E85 here--Oh yes, you are welcome!)

Michelin PS2s are among the lightest weight tires you can get in the larger/wider 'sportscar sizes'. They will perform noticeably better than any runflat/ZP, and make you wonder why these cars came with Goodyears. PS2s are a perfect match for a street driven C5.
They may only last you a couple years, but you will be able to drive your car the way you want to.
I buy mine used, off of flea-bay, usually OEMs taken off of Porsches and such.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM
JohnnyQ's Z06
Racer

PS2's all the way. Never had any issue with them. Great grip.

I ride in the hills, I take the corners fast and never lost traction once.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

03 z/06 bought new,goodyear supercars came w/car lasted 'bout 20k asked many c5 owners what they recommend 90% said michelin pilot sport loved them in every way EXCEPT straight line acceleration these tires amplified a existing wheel hop problem got 40k plus miles from them time to retire.Heard about Vredestein Ultrac sessanta the more research I did the more I liked them went on other hi po forums all without exception loved them plusw about 30-40% less equal or better than mich.ps perf. wise plus they are a quiet tire tires on car only couple days so a honest evaul. not possible.If time is not an issue as I get more miles I'll post how they work out so far they have lived up to their hype...stay tuned
Old 12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Kevin G
Instructor

Pilot Sport PS2. I am running them on my Y2k. Essentially stock motor w/ RPM trans & 3.42 gears, good hook up in a straight line and like glue on corners. Decent in rain. And with a little bit of looking you can find good deals on takeoffs as was already stated.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had both and can say they are both excellent tires. The biggest difference IMO is the treadwear rating. If you're looking for something to last a long long time then get the A/S. If you want the ultimate in performance then get the PS2.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:45 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
On the noise issue either one will be a huge improvement over the Good Years.

On the weight issure the non runflat PS2 is about 5 pounds per tire lighter than the Zero Pressure runflat. As far as side wall stiffness the non runflat will have a lot more flex than the ZP runflat and that only makes sense since the sidewall is what holds up the weight of the car when the air pressure is gone on the ZP runflat. I personally like the non runflat handling better but I wouldn't put on Michelin's. Too much money for what you are getting. Lots of great tires that are a lot less expensive than Michelin IMHO....
Well, the All-Season ZP Michelins (original, not plus) were about $500 cheaper than the stock Goodyears when I replaced mine the year before last. If you desire a runflat (in 4 years, I had 2 stock Gys repaired for leaks, so I like the run-flat feature,) the Michelins are the way to go. Just decide whether you are going to need an all weather tire or not. The PS2s are pretty worthless when the temperature is cold, i.e. near freezing.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:05 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I personally like the non runflat handling better but I wouldn't put on Michelin's. Too much money for what you are getting. Lots of great tires that are a lot less expensive than Michelin IMHO....
100%

You said extended mobility which implies run-flat?? If so, the PS2 is not a run-flat.

Here's a good tire thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...re-to-buy.html

Peter
Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
100%

You said extended mobility which implies run-flat?? If so, the PS2 is not a run-flat.

Here's a good tire thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...re-to-buy.html

Peter
Not so fast my slightly out of date compadre. ZP PS2s are now standard equipment on the ZR1 and available in C5 sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

The thread you referenced even mentions PS2 ZPs several times.

Last edited by fdxpilot; 12-07-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Choice Michelin Pilots Sport A/S Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Quick Reply: Tire Choice Michelin Pilots Sport A/S Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport PS2