C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove/install steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
jtkeller
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default How to remove/install steering wheel?

I've searched and no luck. Anybody give me a quick run down? Specifically removing the airbag and not screwing anything up.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Check your PM's!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 AM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Disabling the SIR System

Important
Refer to SIR Service Precautions .

Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Remove the key from the ignition switch.
Remove the front floor kick-up panel. Refer to Kick-Up Panel Replacement - Front Floor in Interior Trim.

Important
With the SDM Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG indicator illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

Remove the SDM Fuse from the IP fuse block.

Remove the left sound insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil connector located at the base of the steering column.

Disconnect the steering wheel module coil connector located at the base of the steering column.

Remove the CPA from the inflatable restraint IP module connector located near the base of the steering column.
Disconnect the IP module connector located near the base of the steering column.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steering Wheel Replacement
Tools Required
J 42120 Steering Wheel Puller Legs
J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller
J 42640 Steering Column Lock Pin
Removal Procedure

Remove the steering wheel inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement in SIR.
Remove the horn electrical connector.
Install J 42640 to the steering column.
Remove the steering wheel set nut.
Discard the steering wheel set nut.
Install J 42120 and J 1859-A to the steering wheel.
Tighten the puller center screw against steering column shaft until the steering wheel slides off the steering column shaft.
Remove J 42120 and J 1859-A from the steering wheel.
Installation Procedure

Install the steering wheel to the steering column, observing the alignment marks (splines).

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install a new steering wheel set nut. Tighten
Tighten the new steering wheel set nut to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

Remove J 42640 from the steering column.
Connect the horn electrical connector.
Install the steering wheel inflator module. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement in SIR.
Perform a SIR Diagnostic System Check. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - SIR in SIR.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it a couple weeks ago and it wasn't that bad to do. The only thing that scared me was when I was using the puller the wheel just popped off........thought I broke it at first.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
ZenovatiFRC
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone put on a aftermarket wheel? like a momo? i dont care about the air bag. i have the wheel and the hub but didnt know if it could be done...
Old 07-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to necro post. But does anyone have a blown up picture or mechanical drawing of what is what in the steering column?

Reason I ask, is my steering column lock has been giving me intermittent grief for the past year or 2. But it usually freed up with some wiggling or hard tugs on the steering wheel. Earlier this week, after a fustrating day at work, when I went to leave, it was locked... but no matter what I did it wasn't freeing up this time.. so I pulled it a lot harder... pop... no more locking - it was permanently unlocked now. Problem was, the sensor still thought it was locked, so it would cut the fuel over 2mph. So I ordered a bypass, just got it today. Popped it in, and it worked great.

Now I want to take it all apart, to remove the pin, or whatever might have broke. Prior to me actually breaking it, it was making some clicking noises when turning, and it still does. So I'd like to fix whatever is causing that too. But it would be nice to know what everything is, and does in the steering column. (I saw some little yellow plastic part.. it looked to be spring loaded, pressing against the plate on the steering column. I'm not sure what it is, or does, but it looks to be the source of my clicking noices.)

So if anyone knows of any pictures, or documents on the web that show what everything is and does, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou99Vette
I don't mean to necro post. But does anyone have a blown up picture or mechanical drawing of what is what in the steering column?
........................................ ..........

Now I want to take it all apart, ............................ But it would be nice to know what everything is, and does in the steering column.................................. ...

So if anyone knows of any pictures, or documents on the web that show what everything is and does, it would be greatly appreciated.
First you MUST get the complete service manual on DVD. (Or the 3-volume set for your year) DVD is far superior and easily searchable.

Really - get the DVD, install it on Windows XP or Vista, (with Internet Explorer a must).

You will love it and it is a must when servicing your Corvette. The DVD covers ALL C5's plus the 2005, C6.

PM me if you have installation issues.

Get it here - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...al-on-dvd.html

- Jim

Last edited by timemender; 07-03-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ing-wheel.html

I would replace the locking ring with the smaller one for the automatics, or grind yours down like in the above pictures.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 07-03-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Lou99Vette
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks a lot guys! This should help me out a lot
Old 07-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Local GM dealership only charged me $35.00 to remove original steering and install my Vette Essentials steering wheel.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 PM
sbadd99
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

of course it can be done, not a mod that is liked here tho, you have to disable the air bag easy job also, but legally I can't tell you how to do that, a few guys have done the wheel change, hate the original one myself, dont see guys posting the mods because they cop flack, shame tho

Originally Posted by ZenovatiFRC
has anyone put on a aftermarket wheel? like a momo? i dont care about the air bag. i have the wheel and the hub but didnt know if it could be done...

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove/install steering wheel?

Quick Reply: How to remove/install steering wheel?