C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sender relocate

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
VGramps
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Put me on the cut the hole in the top team. My #2 grandson helped me. About one hour,Oreilly brass part. I got a lifetime warrenty. This is my first vet, 01 coupe, I got it 2 months ago.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VGramps
Well, Put me on the cut the hole in the top team. My #2 grandson helped me. About one hour,Oreilly brass part. I got a lifetime warrenty. This is my first vet, 01 coupe, I got it 2 months ago.
My grandson was 1200 miles away and not able to help. Congrats glad it worked.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Did you seal up the hole in the cowl that you cut??

BC
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM
VGramps
Navigator

Yes, Made a cover that can be removed if it s needed.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:50 PM
MikeV
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, after 41 pages, what is the best "orginal location" sending unit to get?

Mike V
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeV

Mike V
I bought napa brass. The PSI was off by about 5 psi and it failed after 1200 miles of operation. I bought OEM GM part it is dead on the psi and after 2 yrs still going.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike V
I bought the Autozone lifetime one 2 years ago... still working!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
fishbust
Racer

Mike V
After 41 pages and likely on page 1, the problem is not the sender, the problem is the high heat location of the sender. That is why people relocate it, done deal.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Originally Posted by fishbust
After 41 pages and likely on page 1, the problem is not the sender, the problem is the high heat location of the sender. That is why people relocate it, done deal.
That wasn't why mine failed. The wiring harness was very short putting a slight pressure/tension on the plastic top. This basically caused the 1st one to fail. The second actually broke the plastic top out. I cut the harness and did an F15 aircraft splice with stress relief loop of wire. No tension and no more failures.

I suspect others failed for the tension issue also. Heat is in my view a contributor but was not the basic cause of my failure.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 PM
fishbust
Racer

99 out of a hundred. You got the 1.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM
gary-
Intermediate

Default successful oil pressure sending unit replacement

Thankx to all the helpful info on how to replace the sending unit, I just replaced mine with a brass one from O'reilys ($41 lifetime warranty). I bought the socket at AutoZone ($10). I cut a hole in the cowl. Vert has 71,842 miles. The old one was brass (very tarnished) and had oil on the electrical connection, but hadn't started dripping. I bought the Vert in Sept. 2012 and it had 80# then (so it was bad when I bought the Vert).
Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
SugarDemon
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Ditto on what Gary said. This thread made the job easy. I too bought the brass unit from O'Reillys. It is slightly taller than the brass one that it replaced. Used the hole cutting method, also. Also took the opportunity to clean out the three rubber bladders on the drivers side.

I think this unit is more accurate than my old one. The old one idled at 30psi but never got above 45psi, regardless of WOT or whatever. This one idles at 35psi (oil warmed) and increases linearly as the rpms increase. 65psi at highway speed. We'll see how long it lasts!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not read threw all the posts only 1st couple pages, so it may ahve been brought up later in the post... it mentioned that the sending unit is one for a 00-05 bonneville.. Lol the bonneville guys have a "common issues post" and one of them is the oil pressure sending unit failing, causing a 120psi or 0psi reading on the dash caused by bad oil sending unit.. got a chuckle when i read that it was being put on in this case.

On a good note, i replaced my bonneville sender and has been fine sence.

S
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 PM
UncleFodder
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Nothing more fun than updating an old, ongoing thread! So about a year ago, my oil pressure pegged to max. I immediately knew from past reading of the forum that my oil pressure sender was kaput.

Even so, I didn't sweat it too much as I'd never seen a pressure issue. However, about 6 months ago I began seeing a few drops of oil on the garage floor even with the back of the engine. It was also blowing back when driving and covering the cats, making a big stink. To be honest, I didn't put two and two together until I reread some of the older threads that also detailed how the failed sender can also leak.

Took a look and sure enough, the area was oily. I was really on the fence about which way I would go with the replacement - pull the intake (which I have never done) or cut a hole above. I was leaning toward the manifold pull, but I changed my mind...here's why - my vert is a DD and has just over 100k miles on it. I was concerned that pulling the intake was going to have a domino effect and cause additional issues (gaskets, vacuum hoses etc.). So a repair that allowed the intake remaining in place was appealing. Nothing worse than breaking additional things during a fix for something else!

So, here's a few additional thoughts from my 'cut a hole' process - first, when cutting the hole, bigger is definitely better. For having sight and tool access, this is a must. I ended up making two cuts to enlarge the hole. Also in my case on my '02, the PCV hose was a real blocker. I disconnnected the PCV from the rear of the driver side valve cover, but that gave just minimal wiggle room.

To lift the bottom of the retaining clip to remove the sensor wire, I never could get the wire hanger to grab just right. I ended up going at an angle with a flat head screw driver to push the clip away at the bottom, as I used a long nosed vice-grip to pull it off. For the sender, I had to go to Autozone to get a special-purpose 1 1/16" long thin walled socket for $10. The larger hold cut helps here too to get the socket down straight on the sensor. Also, I wrapped the socket to the extension with electrical take to ensure the sides of the hole wouldn't catch the socket and pull it off.

To put the new sensor in, I used a single strip of electrical take to hold the new sensor in the socket. I then lowered the new sender straight down and it began threading no problem. Torqued to 15 ft/lbs. Another hint here - before you torque it down, notice which way the sensor wire points naturally. If you can line up the with the clip on the wire, it will make reattaching the wire alot easier.

Finally, nothing better than hearing the clip click into place! Fire up the car and check for any leaks.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:09 PM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

To Cruismon & White90conv. As far as leaking and loss of the OPS, my understanding is that it is caused by high rpm with out sufficient oil warm-up. Second reason was over fill of the oil pan. White90conv you can get oil pressure at the oil filter base. There was a company that supplied a complete kit to relocate the oil pick -up at the oil filter base. Total Performance Engineering, in Las Vegas offered a complete refit kit to relocate the OPS at the oil filter base. It cost $189.00. Fortunately I have a unit on hand just in case it is needed. When needed you removed the intake, plugged the opening and replaced the sensor at the oil filter location. The supplied aluminum block has 2 threaded openings for the oil temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor. Neat as you can imagine. All the necessary parts were included such as wiring for the relocation,plug for the old location and complete directions. Needless to say it is neat and extra easy to replace when necessary. Unfortunately I believe they are no longer in business.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

My 03 LS1 equipped Silverado's Oil Pressure Sw kicked the bucket. You guys think getting it out of a C5 is tough ? Here I thought, It's a truck, LOTS OF ROOM ! YEAH RIGHT I do not have the luxury of drilling an access hole and it's almost impossible to try and do it with the manifold on. Dreading the thought but sooner or later I'm gonna have to pull the manifold to replace it. Knock on wood the 04's is still in good shape and working. ( Now watch, I said this and that too will crap out ! )
Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So here we are in 2014. What is the current relocation method? Skimming through this thread I saw a few braided line setups that looked nice but not for a couple hundred!
Although if there is a parts list to order the fittings and lines....
Will have my intake off soon so want to do it now. Anyone?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure sender relocate

Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
So here we are in 2014. What is the current relocation method? Skimming through this thread I saw a few braided line setups that looked nice but not for a couple hundred!
Although if there is a parts list to order the fittings and lines....
Will have my intake off soon so want to do it now. Anyone?
Ecklers has them for our Vettes:
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1997-2004.html

Make your own:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-for-50-a.html

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Now that is awesome!

Thank you for taking the time to make the list and post it!

Thanks,Matt

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sender relocate