C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with blinkers. Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:06 PM
DanielW
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Default Problem with blinkers. Please Help!!!

When I press the hazard switch, all the blinkers work. When I turn my left blinkers both front and rear works. When I turn my right blinkers on, the front blinks really fast and the rear doesn't work at all, and the blinker indicator light bliks real fast too. All light bulbs have been relaced, along with the hazard switch. What else can I try????
Old 07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
wt2ga
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Turn-signal Multifunction Switch
Old 07-24-2005, 07:33 AM
supersport57
1st Gear

I have 2000 vette with same problem. I put it in shop (Local dealer) turns out to be the emergency flasher switch went bad. Everything working now. good luck.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:47 AM
DanielW
Race Director

Originally Posted by supersport57
I have 2000 vette with same problem. I put it in shop (Local dealer) turns out to be the emergency flasher switch went bad. Everything working now. good luck.
Replaced the hazard switch already. I'm hoping that the stalk switch will fix the issue cause merging, and switching lanes on the highway sucks without the turn signal.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:43 AM
catfish2
Heel & Toe

I have blinker issues also on my 2000. I know it is the hazard switch. I just can't stomach the $$$ yet for a simple switch swap!!
Old 07-24-2005, 06:05 PM
DanielW
Race Director

Originally Posted by catfish2
I have blinker issues also on my 2000. I know it is the hazard switch. I just can't stomach the $$$ yet for a simple switch swap!!
Switch is $40 dollars at the dealer, and it can be switched out without removing the dash in about 15-20 minutes. I did mine in about 10 since I've taken my conole out about a dozen times now.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:39 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Quick question...all of your bulbs still good? Sometimes when a bulb burns out the blinker will do this. Just an idea/question. Bulbs are a lot cheaper than the hazard switch.

Just my .02.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:47 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

DanielW-How do you replace it w/o removal of dash? Need to do mine too and did not want to remove dash again after HUD install.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:19 AM
DanielW
Race Director

Originally Posted by ICaughtVetteFeaver
DanielW-How do you replace it w/o removal of dash? Need to do mine too and did not want to remove dash again after HUD install.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=860333
Old 07-25-2005, 01:21 AM
DanielW
Race Director

Originally Posted by mph1972
Quick question...all of your bulbs still good? Sometimes when a bulb burns out the blinker will do this. Just an idea/question. Bulbs are a lot cheaper than the hazard switch.

Just my .02.
Yep. Keep in mind that all the turn signals work when I put the hazards on. ONly the rear right hand side blinkers don't work, and the front one blinks really fast.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:08 PM
tonyswc
Intermediate

I had the identical problem with the passenger side rear turn signal not working and blink very fast on the indicator on the instrument panel. (Yes, it was very dangerous on the road). Thanks to the advance from all on the forum, I ordered the mulitfunctional switch (turn signal/headlight/cruise control switch) from GM Parts Direct for about 140 bucks. I just put it in today and it fixed the problem. It took me about 1.5 hour due to lack of experience of taking apart the knee pad under the steering wheel. Here is some instruction to save you some pain:

1. remove the two screw on the knee pad under (Torx head screw).
2. use a thin screw driver to lift the small panel out around the trunk release switch and disconnect the switch connector..remove the screw behind the trunk release switch panel.
3. lift the small (vent looking) panel next to the ignition switch and remove the screw behind it.
4. Pull the knee pad panel out...there is a couple of spring load clips (friction fastener) holding the panel in on the left side of the panel.

5. Remove the two torx head screw under the the cover for the steering column just below the steering wheel.

6. Split the top and bottom section of this cover and remove the bottom cover. (Top and bottom covers at jointed at the base with small hooks on each side). The top cover would not be removable yet.

7. Remove the two Torx screws (silver in color...this is extended out verse the indentation you have on normal screw head...if you don't have a socket for torx, try using a small hex socket) from underneath...they hold the top half of the cover. Then remove the top cover.

8. Remove one top screw on the top part of the steering holding the turn signal switch. The second one faces you on your lower left when you are sitting in the car...try turning the steering wheel to the left so the flat part of the airbag is on the left for easier access. THIS SCREW IS KIND OF TRICKY...DON't STRIP THE TORX HEAD!!! I didn't have the right tool so I use a Torx head socket and use a slip joint plier to turn it slowly....I think it is best if you have a torx head that is the right size (25) that fits into one of those multifunction screw driver head is best then you can use an rachett box wrench or an open wrench to turn it. Loosing this is remove all the way by fingers (this is the most time consuming part). Replace switch by attaching the two screws back then swap the two connectors with the old/bad switch....

9. Reinstall the rest in reverse order....If you have the right tool for the last torx screw...you should be able to do this in less than 30 minutes.

I hope this helps., Good Luck!....This forum sure helped me in replacing this part and fixing the annoying and dangerous problem. Thanks all..

Cheers, Tonyswc

"Serving our Nation with Pride!!! Hooah!!!"
Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 AM
wt2ga
Burning Brakes

Default Try it B4 you buy it

The Multifunction Switch looses electrical contact (the contacts get dirty). I have removed the unit and cleaned it with "Contact Cleaner" from Radio Shack and blew it out with compressed air and it was fixed.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
tonyswc
Intermediate

Cleaning it? Why didn't I think of that! Great idea, unfortunately mine is in the dumpster already after I replaced it. This is good advice to clean it since it can't be rocket science for a switch. I think I was just so frustrated and want to get the problem fix and replacing sounded like a good idea at the time.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:53 PM
DanielW
Race Director

Originally Posted by tonyswc
Cleaning it? Why didn't I think of that! Great idea, unfortunately mine is in the dumpster already after I replaced it. This is good advice to clean it since it can't be rocket science for a switch. I think I was just so frustrated and want to get the problem fix and replacing sounded like a good idea at the time.
My switch came today too. I should've thought about cleaning it as well.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:32 PM
DocAcumen
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flasher switch, headlight motor, back up switch, both window motors, all replaced today!! (2000 FRC!)

Grand total for me was $380!! (Parts & Labor)

Got to LOVE it!

And the daughter and her boyfriend, that has a cousin, that is a GM certified mechanic! (The Route 66 warranty helped a bit too!)

Did I get a good deal?

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with blinkers. Please Help!!!

Quick Reply: Problem with blinkers. Please Help!!!