C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

directional flasher location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default directional flasher location?

I just recently upgraded my bulbs with LED ones and now when I use my directionals they flash twice as fast as they used to. I want to replace the stock flasher with a HD type I just need to know where this is located. Did anyone else change to LEDs and have this problem?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:20 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What timing. I installed clear lens' and Red LEDs and now only the hazards and brake lights work. My dash won't won't light and the tail lights and indicator lights are non-functioning. I have done some research and it requires LOAD EQUALIZERS on the wires to correct for the low current draw. I'm going to call Jamstrait(manufact. of my LED tail light bulbs) and find out how many and where they should be located. I'll post back if I can find an answer. I believe the load equalizers maybe cheaper than a flasher unit, ~$8 each.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:25 PM
White00LS1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just need to know where this is located
Mine is located under the panel just above your feet on the drivers side. I removed four screws and the flasher was arranged close to the rear of the radio and was held in place with a spring clip. Unplug and replace...

hope this helps
Old 07-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Threed
Burning Brakes

You also might need the resistor kit added to your lamps. Most of the LED vendors sell that kit.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 AM
NV MY C5
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I believe the flasher is the hazard switch located in the center of the dash.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:59 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NV MY C5
I believe the flasher is the hazard switch located in the center of the dash.
I did a write-up on how I replaced mine a few weeks ago, but I can't find the thread about it.

So, here's some pics:

The emergency flash button -- guess what, the flasher unit is immediately behind it!

Here's the sucker once it's out. The black push button on the front just pulls off away from the dashboard.

The real GM manual instructions have you pull your whole dash off to remove this relay. I did mine with a brute force alternative. Take off the trim panel that goes around your radio and A/C and take off the knee panel above the pedals (see these directions -- http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html).

You'll also need to pull the radio. To do this, remove the two hex-head screws shown in the following picture, located in the light metal colored tabs extending left and right from the radio. Then pull the radio toward you.

Next, you'll need to unplug the connectors from the back of the radio. They have a button to push with your thumb, which is demonstrated in the following picture, but of course you'll be doing this when the plug is still in the back of the radio.

Here’s the other connectors, which also have the same type of push button, as shown in this picture after they have been disconnected from the rear of the radio.

Once you have the trim pieces off and the radio out, you'll see the underside of the unit which has a tab that you can push upward -- there's also such a tab on top, but you can't get to it unless you pull the dash. In the second picture above, you can see the top tab. Push on the bottom one of those tabs with a screwdriver, and at the same time give the front of the unit a whack (note -- this picture was taken only to demonstrate the technique, and actually is the new relay after I had put the radio back in). Use a punch or chisel, and keep it to the right so it is not pushing against the push-button mechanism.

If you hit it correctly, it'll slide toward the front of the car. Snake it down and here's what it'll look like:

A new one is about $40 from a dealer. Plug it in, snake it back up and clip it place, reverse your steps and you're done.

disclaimer: I have no clue whether that will fix your issue with the speed of the flashers.

Last edited by SteveL2; 10-06-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

So switching the relay sounds like a problem.....I did e-mail the vendor I got the LED bulbs from and he says that there is not a problem with the bulbs themselves so.....anything else that would help would be appreciated.....THANKS
Old 07-12-2004, 08:29 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff99C5hardtop
So switching the relay sounds like a problem.....I did e-mail the vendor I got the LED bulbs from and he says that there is not a problem with the bulbs themselves so.....anything else that would help would be appreciated.....THANKS
http://www.jamstrait.com/loadeq.html

"LEDs are so economical and pull so little current that the computers in some vehicles are tricked into believing that there is no bulb there at all. Thus, the computer causes the bulb to flash too quickly or irregularly to warn the driver that a bulb needs to be replaced. Jam Strait Load Equalizers correct this problem, and also any other electrical knot which might be caused by replacing standard bulbs with LEDs. It is strongly recommmended that you test the bulbs to see if you require load equalizers before purchasing them. All Load Equalizers come with wires and squeeze connectors, and no wire cutting is necessary to install them. "
Old 07-12-2004, 08:49 PM
Cliff99C5hardtop
Burning Brakes

Thanks alot.......Now I just have to test the bulbs and order those load equalizers.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:14 AM
majbillgsd
Instructor

Default directional flasher location

to drcoffee- di d the load equalizers resolve the problem? I would rather do something like this so my right turn signal will work like it should without having to replace the emergency flasher switch.
Thanks,Bill
Old 11-22-2004, 02:56 PM
majbillgsd
Instructor

Default directional flasher location

Gald my philosophy is try the least expensive and simplest solution first. Rechecked the turn signal and found it was loose. Ensured it was tight and reinstalled...works light a champ!
Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 01:29 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Found this thread by doing a search...

Replaced the tail lights on my 1992 C4 with LED units from CorvetteHID.com
Looking for the location of the flasher so I can replace it with the electronic one that I bought with my lights.

4-ways and brake lights work fine, but the turn signals don't work, which is why I'm trying to locate the flasher to replace it with the electronic one.
I can hear it, but cannot seem to locate it.

FSM has not been of much help.
Figure 21 shows it as being below the LH side of the instrument panel near 3 other relays.
With the 4-ways activated, it sounds like it is in the passengers footwell area, but I have yet to locate it.

Any ideas?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM
ensteele
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Yes, this is a common problem when you put LEDs in the system. You can buy a Hyperflash Harness at JW Motoring which will solve your problems. This link will take you to the product. I had the 2X flash rate and after buying this, it fixed it completely. Some owners have had problems with their emergency flashers and the harness fixed that too.

Good luck and I hope this fixes your problem.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had an LED equipped vehicle hyper flash on me before (like a bulb was burned out), but this is different. The directional signals don't flash at all.

I do have an electronic LED flasher in hand to replace the OEM unit.
My problem is I can hear the relay clicking when the 4-ways are on, I just cannot locate the OEM flasher to swap it out.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:21 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni

Looking for the location of the flasher so I can replace it with the electronic one that I bought with my lights.

4-ways and brake lights work fine, but the turn signals don't work, which is why I'm trying to locate the flasher to replace it with the electronic one.

Figure 21 shows it as being below the LH side of the instrument panel near 3 other relays.
With the 4-ways activated, it sounds like it is in the passengers footwell area, but I have yet to locate it.

Any ideas?
You found a seven year old C5 and posted a question about a 92. Search failure.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Jeff in Den
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IM QUIKR
http://www.jamstrait.com/loadeq.html

"LEDs are so economical and pull so little current that the computers in some vehicles are tricked into believing that there is no bulb there at all. Thus, the computer causes the bulb to flash too quickly or irregularly to warn the driver that a bulb needs to be replaced. Jam Strait Load Equalizers correct this problem, and also any other electrical knot which might be caused by replacing standard bulbs with LEDs. It is strongly recommmended that you test the bulbs to see if you require load equalizers before purchasing them. All Load Equalizers come with wires and squeeze connectors, and no wire cutting is necessary to install them. "
Jam Strait is slightly confused....there is no computer that sets the flashing speed....and "load equalizers" are nothing more then a simple resistor. Google how a flasher works....pretty simple stuff.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni

Any ideas?
Yes.

1. Post in the C4 forum.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...discussion-34/

2. Don't retrieve old threads.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Get notified of new replies

To directional flasher location?

Quick Reply: directional flasher location?