Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C5 Z06 thermostat help

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rt-number.html
Old 02-18-2016, 08:55 AM
tremor1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
There are either of two different water pump designs that could be installed on the car.

The original LS1 style pump had a thermostat that was an integral part of the cover for the T'stat such that you could nor just replace the T'stat itself. You replaced the cover which had the T'stat with it.

GM replaced that design with one from the LS2. That style pump could NOT use the thermostat or cover from the LS1 style as the T'stat was a different length and diameter. So when the LS2 style water pump became available you had to purchase the correct T'stat and T'stat cover. The LS1 style T'stat cover used an o'ring to seal and the new LS2 style T'stat has a specially designed rubber gasket that surrounds the flat surface of the T'stat that seals.

I suspect that the car has the LS2 style pump with the proper cover and T'stat and you purchased the cover and T'stat for the old, no longer available, LS1 water pump. I will look for some pictures that I had that showed the differences side by side.

Found one of the pics before I posted and I believe I have others. Just need to look a little harder....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...d-subject.html

You should be able to find a thermostat that has what ever temp you would like for the LS2 style setup. I have a 187 currently installed in my 04 and have previously had 160, 170 and 180.......
Thank you for the info. You are exactly right. I got the part # off the pump yesterday and did some research. It is the LS2 design. Members such as yourself make this forum a great source of information for all Corvette owners
Old 02-19-2016, 05:16 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tremor1
Thank you for the info. You are exactly right. I got the part # off the pump yesterday and did some research. It is the LS2 design. Members such as yourself make this forum a great source of information for all Corvette owners
8VETTE7 is one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum. Quite a few of those, Evil Twin, Bill Curlee, 73Corvette, akapounder, DISTURBD, the list goes on....
Old 02-19-2016, 07:45 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ06
8VETTE7 is one of the most knowledgeable guys on the forum. Quite a few of those, Evil Twin, Bill Curlee, 73Corvette, akapounder, DISTURBD, the list goes on....

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 thermostat help

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 thermostat help