C5z for first car

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Look at the other threads this guy has started. "LOUD exhaust", several "what is the meanest sounding cam", etc.
Yeah, and none of the rest of us want that.

Just do a search and see how many threads are about the best exhaust and which exhaust will give me the muscle car sound.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Expect to spend another 10k on additional things when you buy a car this old.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Fed Up
"My Dad's a TV Repairman"

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 151 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattie Num Nums
Expect to spend another 10k on additional things when you buy a car this old.
Damn good point. The question of "can I afford a Corvette?" is far to seldomly accompanied by the question "can I afford to maintain, or am I at least willing to myself maintain a Corvette?"

The "mint" 2001 I just bought with 53000 miles has eaten about $3000 in the last week just to bring her back to full health again (new brakes, xsmn fluid, plugs, wires, rear gear fluid, induction service, new driver's door module, new drivers door window switch panel, new alternator, new pullys and idlers, belts, and the list goes on).

Picky I am, but all stuff to make her perfect.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Get that Z I say. It's clear fav of the young. Artic white FRC's look great too.

Scan first 3 pages for some good C5 Info
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1249213

Since you're so close in PA here's you're ticket to a good time and check out thousands of vettes -
www.carlisleevents.com
Also click Forums, Events & Regional, National, Official Carlisle thread

GL & arrive alive

Last edited by cor28vettes; 08-20-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Yeah.....just saw where you're from. Definitely go to Carlisle this weekend. It's well worth the trip, especially since you're less than 30 mins from the fairgrounds.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:46 PM
BRYM1010CID4T
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
Get that Z I say. It's clear fav of the young. Artic white FRC's look great too.

Scan first 3 pages for some good C5 Info
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1249213

Since you're so close in PA here's you're ticket to a good time and check out thousands of vettes -
www.carlisleevents.com
Also click Forums, Events & Regional, National, Official Carlisle thread

GL & arrive alive
Yeah I will definitely go Carlisle an check out what they there and will probably end up getting one there
Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Be prepared for higher prices perhaps. Do a nationwide search for what you want on autotrader to get an idea what people are asking nationwide.

You may find that private parties try to match dealer prices. Seems to be the trend these days.

Check both private party sales search and then run the dealer sales search for specifics like year, trans, mileage etc.
That way you can better compare comps at Carlisle. Expect higher prices day 1 but best selection as well on day 1.
Temp plates can be had via approved PA vendor on site that handles sales transactions (for a fee of course).

Let your bank know if that's where your money is to pay the seller. They can be prepared ahead of time for a wire transfer M-F or even Sat if they are open at bank or credit union, wherever. Wire transfer may need you to sign an authorization ahead of time. Deal with branch managers on that. Or hide cash on body but that's very risky. Did that once & it's very uncomfortable with thousands under your belt. Ended up not buying anyway.

Don't overlook the forum and do not buy on impulse. Just cause it may LOOK good does not translate to everything else being top notch. Recommended way is a mechanic looks things over for a fee.

And do your home work assignment by reading pages 1-3 of the best thread ever. C5 TECH Sticky.

Even if you don't buy at Carlisle you will see gobs & gobs of vettes of all years & colors. Good opportunity to narrow things down. Just like going to a huge car show. Well, you will see for yourself, Carlisle is the biggest Corvette event in the World. All the food and drink is on premises. Just bring good walking shoes and a friend.

Remember this, after Corvettes@Carlisle is over, summer is over and winter is tuning up in PA. Which means lower prices are enroute. They also have a gigantic ALL cars event in the fall. Tons of fun too. Every piece of real estate is taken for that one.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 08-21-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Fed Up
Here's an adult with questionable driving experience, driving a Z06 with... predictable results. Fast forward to the 12 minute mark or so if you're impatient.

Corvette Driver Can't Drive & Hits Tree - Full Version - YouTube

Just a bad idea. My first Corvette was an '86 (in 1994 at the age of 24) with a whopping 230HP. But that torque still got me in trouble with curbs, in the rain and with tickets. Not in that order.

If you must have a Corvette, buy a C4 in good condition and learn to maintain it yourself. It's a wonderful car, plenty quick and will make you appreciate your future C5, C6 and...
Do you reckon this guy had active handling turned off?

Quick Reply: C5z for first car