Air duct options for CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Mr Russ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air duct options for CAI

Hey CF,

Looking for options to open the duct where the fog lamps are to allow more air flow to my Blackwing.

I don't think I want the wire mesh inserts. Can I modify the current plastic block out? Why is it blocked anyway? I would think it should have been designed to duct air to the intake.

Thx
Old 06-17-2014, 04:48 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 408 Posts

Drilled three holes in mine with a holesaw.Not exactly sure what size they are but I did this so I wouldn't have to remove anything to do it.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 PM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do this instead. It is called the "zip tie" or "flip tie" mod. You will have a lot less dirt and sand all over the engine compartment and I mean a lot. I know what it is like in Arizona and your engine will have pounds of dirt under the hood if you drill those holes. The zip or flip tie mod will give you the coolest air you can get into the intake.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...m-diy-yes.html
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,451 Likes on 14,054 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by onlyavette
Do this instead. It is called the "zip tie" or "flip tie" mod. You will have a lot less dirt and sand all over the engine compartment and I mean a lot. I know what it is like in Arizona and your engine will have pounds of dirt under the hood if you drill those holes. The zip or flip tie mod will give you the coolest air you can get into the intake.
If I read his post right, he already has a Blackwing on the car so no way he can do a zip tie mod unless he puts the stock air intake back on the car.

For the OP - you can either buy new fog light surrounds that have holes already cut in them (can get them from most major vendors - Mid-America, Ecklers, etc.), or you can simply drill a series of holes in the stock plastic surrounds.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 AM
onlyavette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If I read his post right, he already has a Blackwing on the car so no way he can do a zip tie mod unless he puts the stock air intake back on the car.

For the OP - you can either buy new fog light surrounds that have holes already cut in them (can get them from most major vendors - Mid-America, Ecklers, etc.), or you can simply drill a series of holes in the stock plastic surrounds.
You are right. I started to respond and got pulled away and I should have reviewed his post before I went on. I think that the point about dirt and dust in the engine compartment is still valid. I have had it both ways and there was no measurable difference in performance with holes and without. Not enough to make up for the time spent keeping the engine clean. There is a lot of dirt and dust on the roads in town and out on the highway where I live and I got tired of trying to keep mine clean. I have spent a lot of time in Arizona the dirt on the road is way worse than where I live.

I could be mistaken but don't they make a cover for the Blackwing that gets air from in front of the radiator? The filter is going to get very dirty either way.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:25 AM
GenerationX1
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can always do the front license plate cover screen mod. Just keep scrolling through this DIY thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...cover-mod.html

Get notified of new replies

To Air duct options for CAI

Quick Reply: Air duct options for CAI