Car Won't Always Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:08 PM
SVTBAIT
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Car Won't Always Start

I'm trying to figure out exactly what's up with my car.

The car will not even turn on when I turn the key - nothing happens. After doing this 3-4 times the car usually starts just perfectly.

I've been reading about the Column Lock Bypass, but this doesn't seem to be a symptom.

The car is a 2002 Z06 (6-speed).

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Not the CLB but maybe the clutch is not depressed fully or the starter lockout on the clutch is faulty.... hopefully someone else has had this issue and can help you more. Good luck and if you find the issue pls share the solution. Rob
Old 05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
C5GEES
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem on my 2002 convertible (auto.)
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Major Dump
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check for codes? Mine did this too but it was because the contacts in side the ignition switch had corrosion.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 PM
dba4life
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds similar to when my starter was going. It got worse and I ended up keeping a broom handle in the car to knock the starter to get it going before getting it replaced. That did work every time.

There are some nice threads on troubleshooting this issue. Look in the tech section as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Zr-1Mike00
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dba4life
Sounds similar to when my starter was going. It got worse and I ended up keeping a broom handle in the car to knock the starter to get it going before getting it replaced. That did work every time.

There are some nice threads on troubleshooting this issue. Look in the tech section as well.
Exactly! I did the same thing. I posted about it about a month ago:

Originally Posted by Zr-1Mike00
I had the same exact issue with my car earlier this year. ('02 MN6 Coupe) I did a lot of trouble shooting and it wound up being the starter. Forum Member Bill Curlee is the guy to talk to for sure, he helped me with trouble shooting and I ended up ordering the starter from Gene at GM PartsHouse...

This is what I tried:

Opening the hood and having someone use a broom handle and bang the starter from the passengers side and then try and crank it..

Use your spare key if you have it. Sometimes the pellet (resistor) is bad on the key and you might need a new one.

Also under the passenger side foot well IN the car:

1: Car in Neutral
2. E-Brake up and chock the wheels
3. Key in the on position
4: Then go under the passenger side foot well and remove the carpet and access panel. The fuse box is on the right and then there is a series of wires on the left going into a box. If you use a paper clip and insert one side in where the red wire is and the other where the purple wire is and try to jump the two.

If it starts up Then I believe it is a bad relay/wires to the starter....

Hope this helps! If worse comes to worse I would definitely reach out to Bill Curlee for troubleshooting tips!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 AM
bpenn8966
Advanced

Mine did this a while back too, it would start fine most of the time but once in a while nothing.

Through process of elimination found that the wire connections on the starter had worked themselves loose just a bit, enough to stop it from turning over every once in a while. Check them out to make sure they're tight, it's worth a shot anyway.

Last edited by bpenn8966; 05-06-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Checking and cleaning of terminals is rarely done. It is the simplest and cheapest method before really ripping into things. A little sand paper, and dieelectric grease go a long way
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM
bpenn8966
Advanced

That is exactly what I did.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Won't Always Start

Quick Reply: Car Won't Always Start