Sponsored by:

c5 noise on turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

Default c5 noise on turning

i wondered if anyone knows if the differential fluid for the c6 can be used in the c5 and if it will stop grinding noise when taking a slow corner ? i was told it solved problem on the c6 but not sure if it is applicable to c5 . many thanks ......peace.........HEY!!!!!!! what happened to car care [the section about waxes and washing] ? i just looked under general corvette and it's gone .

Last edited by bigcypress; 03-18-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

found the ''car care'', now about the diff fluid .
Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

All I can tell you is that I dont think I have ever heard that noise (at any speed) (2001 A4 73k), might want to have that checked. Might be something that can be fixed before it becomes "more than a noise", or worse, when it stops. Good luck
Old 03-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Janster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a while since I've been on here....

My husband and I put Amsoil Severe Gear diff fluid in our C5. It's a rear differential fluid that has the friction modifier already in it. Works great.

Take the vette to an open/empty parking lot and make a bunch of really tight (lock to lock) '8' turns in both directions. See if the noise gets worse or better. When we changed the rear diff fluid, we did this several times to get the oil into the clutch paks/LSD and things smoothed out. Not sure if that'll help or hinder or give you a better idea if the problem is in the diff or somewhere else.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 AM
sweet97c5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

call local chevy dealer they have a rear diff fluid that has additive already in it.it is used for rear end chatter during parking lot manuevers.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

thanks to all for your thoughts . . .peace now i'm out to try and get rear plate off as i forget year to year , i'm old but unfortunately i don't think that's the problem .
Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

got the fluid changed and was told it would take several hundred miles [or a lot of turns ] to be effective . but sounds better already [i think] and several hundred miles might take me a couple years to reach .
Old 04-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's about all you can do about that noise. Fresh fluid will quiet it but as time goes on it will come back. You mostly get it from tight slow turns. It's a binding that is occurring. Do the same thing in a C6 they are even worst sounding.

There is also another noise that will come from corrosion buildup on the spindles. It will make a click or clunking sound mostly from the right side but both are affected. Do a search there was just recently a discussion about this and posted a link to the procedure to fix. It basically involves removing the spindle nut, pushing the spindle back a fraction of an inch or so and cleaning them up with PS Blaster or similar then lubricating the contact points on the inboard side with a motorcycle chain lub and then retorque the nuts. Specs and notes and pictures are in that post. Takes about a hour to fix.

Here's the link: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...e-turning.html

Get notified of new replies

To c5 noise on turning

Quick Reply: c5 noise on turning