Sponsored by:

Clicking while turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
SeanME
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking while turning

Ive been racking my brain and I need some inputs. When at a dead stop, if i fully turn my wheels in either direction and start moving I get a clunking. It is the same sound I had on my truck when i turned the wheel all the way but that was the oversized tires rubbing against the bumper. Ive checked every which way from sunday if that was the case on my c5 but there is no rubbing at all. Any guesses on what might be making this noise? Accompanied by the noise is a small shaking as if something is catching and letting go. Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
jraschke11
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I have that same problem, and have never remembered to post and ask.

I have stock wheels and tires on my 2002 Z06. It really sounds like I am rubbing with oversize tires or something, but I can't ever figure it out.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:41 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you checked all of your suspension components? i have creaking sounds when going into drive ways or steep turning. but my suspention is just worn out
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
SeanME
Intermediate

Originally Posted by memphis_vette
have you checked all of your suspension components? i have creaking sounds when going into drive ways or steep turning. but my suspention is just worn out
That is the next step. I am going to throw it on a lift and check it out. Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Cirrus8
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

If you have not changed your diff fluid in the last 20k miles, it may be your limited slip system complaining. Changing the fluid with limited slip additive will fix the problem.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:39 PM
SeanME
Intermediate

the clunking is in the front end. I havent changed my diff fluid in about 23k miles but i dont see how that would effect a noise in the front end (unless my ears are deceiving me). I thought only a locked axle clunks like that (unloads) as well. Every 20k seems a bit too frequent to change diff fluid
Old 03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
webelo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have the same thing going on that you are describing, although mine only seems to happen when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. It sounds and feels like a combination between a clunk and a click. The frequency of the noise and the speed of the car are in correlation.

Any thoughts?

I have an 2000 A4 Coupe with 82,000 if it helps.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Well this is a good thread! I have the same problem and also have never posted the problem. Also it only happens when I turn left and have the wheel well over to the left. So that doesn't happen very often so I haven't paid much attention to it. So if someone comes up with the answer that would be great. I was wondering if the tire is contacting the harness to my shocks. The noise is coming from the passenger's side front on my car. I was lucky enough to have someone on the street help me out in locating the area. I have the adjustable suspension.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I get noises sometimes too....................

-
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Stomp'N'Go
Burning Brakes

Here is part of a private message from forum member JetJock. I've had the same issue and have yet to check it out but this was his problem and how it got fixed..

Well here's what the problem was, corrosion inside the wheel to the hub had caused the wheel not to mount correctly. They removed and cleaned both the posts and the wheel up, test drive problem solved. And the clicking was loud the mechanic took it for a few circles a couple hundred feet away in their parking area and you could hear it. He went ahead and pulled the other wheel and cleaned it up too, and retorqued the wheels.

They have a corvette specialized area only assigned well experience vette guys work in that shop it is located from the general bays. Pretty cool that they treat the vette so special. They invited me back to talk to the chief mechanic, he showed on the lift everything was tight and solid so there wasn't a mechanical problem. Did a test on the steering rack it was good. So he then pull the wheels to check and found it.

So how unusual. Anyway they didn't charge me and he had it for about 2 hrs. Pretty cool.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 PM
dlivewyer
Pro

Interesting.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
webelo
Racer

Originally Posted by Stomp'N'Go
Here is part of a private message from forum member JetJock. I've had the same issue and have yet to check it out but this was his problem and how it got fixed..

Well here's what the problem was, corrosion inside the wheel to the hub had caused the wheel not to mount correctly. They removed and cleaned both the posts and the wheel up, test drive problem solved. And the clicking was loud the mechanic took it for a few circles a couple hundred feet away in their parking area and you could hear it. He went ahead and pulled the other wheel and cleaned it up too, and retorqued the wheels.

They have a corvette specialized area only assigned well experience vette guys work in that shop it is located from the general bays. Pretty cool that they treat the vette so special. They invited me back to talk to the chief mechanic, he showed on the lift everything was tight and solid so there wasn't a mechanical problem. Did a test on the steering rack it was good. So he then pull the wheels to check and found it.

So how unusual. Anyway they didn't charge me and he had it for about 2 hrs. Pretty cool.
Is this the final solution?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:59 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Take off the bushings holding the front sway bar and 'lube' them with anti seize compound. I had the same noise on my '99 coupe.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stomp'N'Go

Thanks for digging this one up.

Yep I thought I had major problems, I couldn't believe it was so simple. Now I plan to pull the wheels myself every 6 months and just clean them up, re-install and re-torque them.

Also for those who develop the clunking or ticking sound coming from the rear. Many suspect it is the CV joints or worst, not so, most of the time you just need to remove the spindle nut, bump the shaft in slightly clean up the corrosion and add a motorcycle chain lubricant. Re-assemble and re-torque and presto your noise is gone.

Here's a good post with pictures and procedures to correct the rear spindle clunking. (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-bearings.html)
(Some folks say you need to install a new spindle nut, but the FSM does not say this. The nut is made with interference and trust me it isn't moving once torqued.)

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 03-10-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by webelo
Is this the final solution?
Absolutely.

I was skeptical myself, but it's been at least six months now and has not returned.

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking while turning

Quick Reply: Clicking while turning