Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes These Lambo Hinges??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 AM
whylee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a company bringing these in from tiwan, seeing that they look like they were in a plain brown box with no info on the box, I would say these are probably them.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by whylee
I just had the Verticle Door kit installed yesterday, and you can open them normal (at least enough to get in and out).
Those hinges in the pics above are not by verticle doors. The Verticle Door hinge is very heavy duty, and the hinge pictured above appears no where near as well built. I would only use Verticle Door or LSD hinges.
Thanks for the info. Glad to know I have an option of company's to choose from. Thought about getting them but it will be awhile.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

We are doing some work on a fellow member's C5 who had some lambo doors installed.

I can't speak for the verticle company (not vertical?) but LSD's are worth the extra money.

Here's a closeup pic. You can see the quality of the hinge.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM
depoautolights
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those are a replica of the jt autostyle c5 kit. they are made in china. i mean they will work good but be careful on them though. sometimes the o-beatings and bearings on those kits do break off and your door may fall. it just depends on what seller on ebay you are buying from. i don't know if you want to go a cheap route on an expensive car. go either vertical doors inc kit or lsd. both are great kits, i have never seen a car with an lsd kit before, but i have seen a vertical doors inc kit (sold a while back to garys05vette) and they are quality built.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:48 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Hey thanx... I'll pass on em!!!!

Tim
Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM
twlinks
Instructor

Originally Posted by kerryt1
Sorry to **** in your Cheerios, guy. Fortunately for you, other peoples' opinions don't seem to influence you.

I don't care for them, but I think the OP has the right idea: you get what you pay for. If your door is going to be dangling 3-4 ft in the air, you might want a quality piece holding it up.

/thread derailment
I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested knowing more about these hinges, so I'm reading everything here that I can.

My question to the above quote would be "Isn't your door 'dangling' 3-4 ft in the air when it is sticking straight out as it came from the factory?"

Seems to me there is probably as much force against the hinges on original set-ups as there would be on the verticle hinges. Maybe someone can chime in on that?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 PM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

Tim - which kit did ya get?
Old 09-07-2010, 11:19 PM
corvettedaddy11
Melting Slicks

Dennis has a nice set up !!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by corvettedaddy11
Dennis has a nice set up !!
Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tstar
Hey thanx... I'll pass on em!!!!

Tim
From the looks of the pics you posted,,I think that is a wise move,,,,,they look pretty flimsy!! I'll be watching for progress reports!! While I wouldn't DO a conversion,,there is room for variety in the Corvette world!! I agree with you,,never hurts to have the wife on your side with your hobbies!!! Waiting for before and after pics!!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:26 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

This was two years ago you guys!!!!!!!!!!

I did pick up a set for uber cheap from a forum member, tried to fit it once nad ran out of patience. I'll try again in winter when it's in storage and I have more time.

I thought they weren't making Dennis's kit anymore, GT Factory right? Nice photochop on the Best Buy sign Dennis!

Tim
Old 09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

Hey, its fun to revive old threads! (especially when ya don't leave us with any closure) HAHHA!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by twlinks
I know this is an old thread, but I'm interested knowing more about these hinges, so I'm reading everything here that I can.

My question to the above quote would be "Isn't your door 'dangling' 3-4 ft in the air when it is sticking straight out as it came from the factory?"

Seems to me there is probably as much force against the hinges on original set-ups as there would be on the verticle hinges. Maybe someone can chime in on that?

I could not agree with you more. If you look closely and examine your stock hinges and then compare them to any of the good or even junk hinges out there you will realize that the hinges themselves are all still pieces of steel. Shoot I bet if you research it, you will find out that the stock hinges on the vette were probably imported in from China. In any event the lambo hinges do get a bad rap on here from people that most of the time just jump on the band wagon saying yeh crap hinges etc etc. I for one have seen and heard both sides of this story and have seen up close the stock hinges, GT factory, LSD hinges, Vertical door hinges and a bunch of others out there on the market. Through all the stories and proof of posts on here I have yet to find a true honest post of someone saying there lambo hinges failed and the door fell off. If anything the only part I have seen and heard of failing were the gas struts which as we all know are a maintenance item with a use life that will need replacing no matter what version lambo door hinge you get.

Of all the hinges I have seen up close...the best that in my opinion that was out on the market was the GT Factory which is no longer available because of a big corporate takeover. Vertical doors filed a lawsuit with a cease and assist claiming GT Factory "copied" their design which actually was not the case at all for anybody that just has 2 eyes. I have read online and actually Vertical Doors is in lawsuit litigation's filing against other company's as well. Apparently they don't want anybody competing with them in the Vertical Door world. For this main reason plus a representative clearly lied to me over the phone on a group purchase price I was trying to organize for the forum, that I will not do business with them. Chaser who worked with them and was selling the kits at the time, I believe was also banned from the forum.

I have found a place right here in the states (out of Connecticut) who makes a kit for the C5 at about half the price you would expect to pay. I am leaning toward going with them but have no experience or heard any reviews of their hinges. If I had some extra cash I would easily guinea pig my car and winter this coming year to install them to test them out. If anybody needs any information PM me as they are not a forum vendor.

Thanks
Jeff

PS: Tim, don't be swayed by others man, it is your vette and you should do what makes you happy. Being you have the hinges I think...eh what the heck...good winter project to try. I think the whole "lambo doors played out thing" as others have said is getting old and tired. Many do it for logical reasons and is why Iam contemplating it. For me....to be able to lift the door up and not out would help out tremendously for the places I park. I show my car a lot and it is an attention getter and at the same time easy access to visually see inside the car. I think it really is something that is a matter of opinion and taste. I know many a nice car on here that have the hinges...Z06-JIM, C5Bears Fan, and Blue Dragon to name just a few.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 09-08-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RainJ
Hey, its fun to revive old threads! (especially when ya don't leave us with any closure) HAHHA!
Touch'e!!!!

Now go do something productive will ya?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Jeff,

Pretty good run down on the various hinges and info... Like you it seems, being able to move the doors straight up would be a blessing at times. And the car show attention getter is a factor as well...

You know me, I rarely go by other's opinions. Did you forget my Clear Halos?????

Hey! When are we starting my custom IPC faceplates, you're the man on em!!!!

Tim
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by stingraymyway
If, and when, I go for the vertical door hinges. I'll get the LSD's. They allow the door to be opened either vertical or standard.
That would make the difference for me if I went the Lambo route.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Thanks
Surprised nobody commented on the "Best Butt" in the background!

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes These Lambo Hinges??

Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
GB Vette
CF Over the Hill Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI-6 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In VII Veteran
CI-7 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-08-'09
NCM Ambassador

Speaking of threads here's one of mine from '06 about my LSD install - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-for-real.html

It might be helpful to someone.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kerryt1
I didn't want to, but you've left me no choice.

i get the point of the picture but it's kind of dumb..that's a gallardo, the cheaper of the lambos..the big dog still has the scissor style doors and probably will for some time
Old 09-09-2010, 01:01 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

'Joe's' Lambo R us!

Quick Reply: Who makes These Lambo Hinges??