Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone losing confidence in C5 ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 PM
PGann
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone losing confidence in C5 ownership?

Or is it just "me"? Or have all the "others" like me already moved on? Serious questions, looking for serious answers.

I bought a '98 A4 Coup with 37,000 mi. a little over 2.5 years ago. Have put another 15,000 mi. on it. Always wanted a Vette, decided to get a "newer" model that I could "drive anywhere" rather than an older car that I'd be working on all the time and never have confidence to travel anywhere in.

The only issues I've had are 1) "reduced engine power" on two separate occasions when I've been far from home. In both cases, clearing the codes got me home without anymore trouble. After the 2nd time I went thru all the grounds from the "A" pillars forward as well as putting corrosion inhibitor on all electrical connectors in the engine bay - thanks Bill Curlee. Problem never happened again since. 2) "pull key and wait" several times. Everytime this has happened, it's been when I've killed the car, pulled the key out and put it right back in too quick to restart. 3) "a really, really slow leak" in a rear tire that I finally found a tiny finishing nail in and got repaired. 4) Most recently, "low fuel" gas gage idiocy that I'm still waiting to see if gobs of Techron will cure without untold $ or headaches. Other than that, I installed a CLB per all the warnings here right after I bought the car without ever having any problems at all with the column lock.

I had about decided most of the problems I initially read about here were mainly with cars that had been heavily modified. I still think that causes some of the problems, but it is clear that there are still plenty of potential problems with these cars that have nothing to do with mods, some I've already mentioned. Others: oil pressure sender, expensive tire pressure sensors that can crap out at anytime, a multitude of electrical and computer(s) mishaps, burps and farts that can make you dead in the water, stranded far from home and facing expensive towing/trailering.

This only scratches the surface. I know I'm forgetting to mention others that have been documented here. Bottom line, even though my ownership experience has been fairly uneventful so far, everytime I read the stuff on this Forum I get sick at my stomach. I've always worked on my own cars, and I have no doubt that the wealth of information "here" might be able in the future to guide me to "truth and light" in doing my own repairs; but my question is "at what cost" because everything about these cars is so expensive even when you do the work yourself. God forbid anything major would happen that you have to take it somewhere (no, not the dealer, please...) to get it "fixed". My worst fear is a steadily depreciating (expensive) car that I have to keep dumping more and more money + time and effort into just to keep it functioning, and the hole just gets deeper and deeper. I cannot find any fun in that. I have not mentioned mine is getting close to needing tires too ($1000-$1500 down the tube, keeps it running but adds no value to it at all).

I think the thrill is gone for me, I wish that was not true, but it is. I've lost confidence in being able to get in this car and go out of town without worrying if it will get me back home. I just don't have confidence in the C5 anymore based on the things I routinely read here. My other vehicles are a 2000 GMC pickup and an '04 Trailblazer that I never, ever even think twice about and have had no problems with. Why is owing Chevy's flagship performance dream vehicle such a potential PITA?

Is it just me?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:15 PM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The styling of the C6 just does nothing for me at all. I keep trying and trying to find angles I like but nothing.

I still love the C5 for what a great performance bargain it currently is. It's a great starting platform for mod crazy guys like me.

Andy
Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

Your car was almost like an exotic when it came out in 1997 and now it's more of a 'normal car.' We'd all love a shiny new C6, but I bet that will be just as boring and bothersome in 2018. It's all relative I guess.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't want to jinx myself, but I have had NO problems so far and I have put 20K on my 2000! Sorry you are feeling the way you do!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 PM
fr0stb1t3
Racer

Originally Posted by PGann
Or is it just "me"? Or have all the "others" like me already moved on? Serious questions, looking for serious answers.

I bought a '98 A4 Coup with 37,000 mi. a little over 2.5 years ago. Have put another 15,000 mi. on it. Always wanted a Vette, decided to get a "newer" model that I could "drive anywhere" rather than an older car that I'd be working on all the time and never have confidence to travel anywhere in.

The only issues I've had are 1) "reduced engine power" on two separate occasions when I've been far from home. In both cases, clearing the codes got me home without anymore trouble. After the 2nd time I went thru all the grounds from the "A" pillars forward as well as putting corrosion inhibitor on all electrical connectors in the engine bay - thanks Bill Curlee. Problem never happened again since. 2) "pull key and wait" several times. Everytime this has happened, it's been when I've killed the car, pulled the key out and put it right back in too quick to restart. 3) "a really, really slow leak" in a rear tire that I finally found a tiny finishing nail in and got repaired. 4) Most recently, "low fuel" gas gage idiocy that I'm still waiting to see if gobs of Techron will cure without untold $ or headaches. Other than that, I installed a CLB per all the warnings here right after I bought the car without ever having any problems at all with the column lock.

I had about decided most of the problems I initially read about here were mainly with cars that had been heavily modified. I still think that causes some of the problems, but it is clear that there are still plenty of potential problems with these cars that have nothing to do with mods, some I've already mentioned. Others: oil pressure sender, expensive tire pressure sensors that can crap out at anytime, a multitude of electrical and computer(s) mishaps, burps and farts that can make you dead in the water, stranded far from home and facing expensive towing/trailering.

This only scratches the surface. I know I'm forgetting to mention others that have been documented here. Bottom line, even though my ownership experience has been fairly uneventful so far, everytime I read the stuff on this Forum I get sick at my stomach. I've always worked on my own cars, and I have no doubt that the wealth of information "here" might be able in the future to guide me to "truth and light" in doing my own repairs; but my question is "at what cost" because everything about these cars is so expensive even when you do the work yourself. God forbid anything major would happen that you have to take it somewhere (no, not the dealer, please...) to get it "fixed". My worst fear is a steadily depreciating (expensive) car that I have to keep dumping more and more money + time and effort into just to keep it functioning, and the hole just gets deeper and deeper. I cannot find any fun in that. I have not mentioned mine is getting close to needing tires too ($1000-$1500 down the tube, keeps it running but adds no value to it at all).

I think the thrill is gone for me, I wish that was not true, but it is. I've lost confidence in being able to get in this car and go out of town without worrying if it will get me back home. I just don't have confidence in the C5 anymore based on the things I routinely read here. My other vehicles are a 2000 GMC pickup and an '04 Trailblazer that I never, ever even think twice about and have had no problems with. Why is owing Chevy's flagship performance dream vehicle such a potential PITA?

Is it just me?
I was, then I spent an entire day just working on it. Focused on just the car and nothing else. Knocked out my problems in no time flat and renewed my love for the car.

Yes, I envy the C6's a bit, I personally really like their styling. But for the $$$ it doesn't get much better than this.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 PM
leadfoot_mf
Advanced

stop reading all those posts then seriously. try watching some of the shows on the discovery health channel then you can worry about yourself instead of the car.

mine is about to turn 100k i would still jump in it and head out across the country with out hesitation.

It is also far from stock.

To each his own. Good luck on your next ride.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Bottom line, even though my ownership experience has been fairly uneventful so far, everytime I read the stuff on this Forum I get sick at my stomach.
I think you should move on. Good thing you don't read forums for your other vehicles, you'd be sick all the time. It's a car, a machine that's going to have problems. Some have more than others. If I thought about what might go wrong every time I did something I wouldn't leave the house. BTW I drive a supercharged 2002 coupe.

Rick

Last edited by Whiteonrice; 06-11-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just love my c5 its just the best no matter what the general comes out with just my feeling
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 PM
WildTurkey
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

C5
Old 06-11-2008, 11:44 PM
leadfoot_mf
Advanced

I bought mine with 82k on it in 4/2005 now it has 99885 on it most of those miles have been in the mountains beating on it.

the only thing i have had to do to it was replace the valve springs (wear) and o2 sensor header burned the plug.

now the power steering pump is going out well its been going out for a while.

The biggest problem i have on working on the car is being able to reach what ever it is that needs fixin. lol

list of things that dont work is getting bigger than the things that do.

1.heads up display slipped out of view.
2.tire pressure senors sucked/leaked pia replaced with
regular valve stems.
3.key fobs ooc
4.turn signal switch intermittent have to push hazards
5.low washer fluid sensor.
6.cd player skips
7.recline lever on drivers seat broke off.
8.window trim leaks both sides.
9. needs computer retune
10.steering column lock warning on dic lol installed the bypass but never cleared the warning.
11. drivers seat rocks ever so slightly.

i think that is it i am sure there is a bunch more
but i dont care. no of those things matter when i turn the key and hear it come to life.

standard starting procedure in my car is to hit the reset button on the dic 3 times. tire sensors, washer fluid, steering column lol
Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

PGann,

I'm going to repost something I typed up in response to another thread about four months ago, posted by someone who feels disillusioned about the reliability of Corvettes. I think much of it might apply to your feelings. I hope it helps!

(original thread here!)

Originally Posted by alaskanpilot
First, consider where you are. This is a Corvette Forum. There are two types of people here:

1) Corvette enthusiasts
2) Corvette enthusiasts with a problem.

In either case, you have people who pay WAY more attention to their car than the average joe does. As such, we are the ones who are going to make mountains out of molehills, and question things that most people would not.

This does not indicate that Corvettes are problematic... only that us owners REALLY care about our cars and hold them to a higher standard.

The second type I mentioned, are people who want to fix something wrong with their car. They are going to come here because this is where the knowledge is. With that being said, you're going to get a disproportionate impression on how "poorly" built these cars are; for those who aren't having problems are not going to post about it. Think of it like the nightly news. They always report when a plane crashes but no one ever says "and in other news, Flight 815 made it safely!" What you are seeing and reading here, is all good advice but does not accurately represent the average corvette experience across every car and every owner. Here, you are surrounded by the picky, the concerned, the obsessed.

My advice? Buy yourself a good Vette and enjoy the heck out of it! Don't let this resource scare you... remember it's purpose and don't think that these cars are mechanically unsound based on that. Just because somebody listed a page of all things that *could* or *have* happened to any given vette... doesn't mean you'll get all of them; or even one of them. Just remember that this is a collection of information from a bunch of picky owners, and to be comprehensive it does help to have these problems discussed.

Now, every brand of car is going to have its own quirks and chronic issues... that is not unique to Corvettes. Many members here have taken their Vettes to well beyond 200,000 miles!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:58 PM
AU Eagle
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11, '14

I think life is too short to fixate on "loosing confidence in a car."
Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 AM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

It's a 10 year old car. It sounds like most of the stuff is the typical early C5 issues. I think that we tend to forget the age of these cars instead of the mileage. It seems that a lot of these problems turn up when the car reaches a certain age regardless of high or low mileage. I have observed that cars that get driven regularly (10K+ per year) don't seem to have many other issues than ones driven less (except items like tires, belts, etc.).
I love my '99. I have repeatedly considered going to a C6, but then I drive the C5, and the desire leaves. I can afford to "trade up", but just do not want to at this point.
Drive your car & enjoy it. Don't focus on the negatives unless they overpower the positives. If they do, get rid of it...it's just a car, right?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:08 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by PGann
Anyone losing confidence in C5 ownership?
Nope,the thought never crossed my mind.I love Corvettes too much
to ever think that.I think you've got a lemon,and if it's your first 'Vette
it's understandable the way you think.

Get out of it,find one that has been trouble free,and enjoy the hobby.Unfortunately,Corvettes are just like any other car mass
produced,there's gonna be a few that don't perform well.

Good luck
Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting observation. Have you spent as much time with the GMC pickup and Trailblazer forums as you have with this one? If you did, you'd be riding a Schwinn. I read and contribute to CF to exchange information with others of similar interests. Should a problem ever come up, I have confidence in being able to recognize what it is and probable solution. All of your current vehicles can have mechanical problems -- they are conveyances, not an appliances. Sports cars are a special subset of conveyances that offer performance, handling, and style. Should you wish a conveyance of the appliance vein, you already have two -- but, DON'T read about them in their respective forums -- or it's back to the Schwinn!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:13 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If its not too late for you I'd say don't worry.

This is a board where a lot of people come to find fixes rather than say what's right with the car. The upside is just about every problem is documented here somewhere.

Looking at your experiences, there's nothing there that's a major surprise. The problems you've had are posted here every day. Every car design has problem areas and this one is no exception. You could put a positive spin on it and say by being here you fixed those problems without needing to go to a dealer. With a car that didn't attract such a following you'd have been paying for those fixes.

In my case I had a few of the routing problems fixed under warranty. I've had sticky door relays, bad AC Delco battery, leaky diff and a bad EBCM. Apart from the diff, I could have done any of those myself with discounted parts from a Forum vendor. Many of the other problems I've been able to fix myself. But I have to say, recently, my Vert has been very reliable.

I've always been one for holding onto a car for as long as I enjoy driving it. In the case of this one, I never lose the buzz. Its just the best car I've ever owned.

I hope its not too late but why not forget what might happen an just enjoy the car until it lets you down. That may be a very long time.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, No I am not.
Almost 2 yrs for me and its just as fun as it was the first day.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone losing confidence in C5 ownership?

Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 AM
CamachoSF
Racer

Im not losing confidence as much as im getting scared. The newer sports cars coming out are starting to run low 13s right off the assembly line...the camaro, the challanger. I take a lot of pride in my car, knowing that its bone stock, will beat most* cars you see driving around. I mean look at the Mustang GT of all cars, rated at 13.8. Thats getting dangerously close to my 13.2 second car. THE MUSTANG GT! Our vettes used to eat those things for breakfast! Now dont get me wrong, none of these cars will ever have what the corvette has, the styling, the passion and the incredible history. We've had a 1 year gap but these others have had a lot longer. And technically there is 1 83' vette. Sorry to take this off into left field but your title brought up some thoughts.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 AM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the thrill is gone, get rid of it. Someone will be happy to take it off your hands. If you've going to constantly worry about it braking down (weather warranted or not) you won't be able to enjoy it. Find something you will enjoy.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I might worry about "if its gonna rain" but . . .no, Im not worried about this car leaving me stranded.
We are thinking about driving down to see our friends in New Orleans (from NY), only thing about the trip that pops into the back of my mind is....late afternoon.....rapid thunderstorms......a foot of standing water on the roadway I commuted a lot in many different cars and you generaly can slowly make it through if you have to, in the vette that . . .would have me puckered.
Aside from the water excursions, I love driving this car on long trips (so far we've managed to keep it down to two or three states at a time ).

Quick Reply: Anyone losing confidence in C5 ownership?