Sponsored by:

Looking for a good C5, however

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:23 PM
scrufy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a good C5, however

I guess it's always been a dream of mine to one day owen a "Vette" however after viewing this fine forum you guy's have created it kind of scares me about the problems I read about. I am selling my Honda S 2000 roadster to buy this most wanted car. The electrical problems seem the most prevelent. Also the Chevrolet dealers have a mask and a gun when it comes to repairs. I can't believe that all these cars have big problems. However one post by a member listed several pages of things that have gone wrong with these cars. Help me have some confidence in buying a C5. Thank you in advance for your help. Also maybe someone you know wants to sell a good vert with low miles.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Ok, let me set you straight.

First, consider where you are. This is a Corvette Forum. There are two types of people here:

1) Corvette enthusiasts
2) Corvette enthusiasts with a problem.

In either case, you have people who pay WAY more attention to their car than the average joe does. As such, we are the ones who are going to make mountains out of molehills, and question things that most people would not.

This does not indicate that Corvettes are problematic... only that us owners REALLY care about our cars and hold them to a higher standard.

The second type I mentioned, are people who want to fix something wrong with their car. They are going to come here because this is where the knowledge is. With that being said, you're going to get a disproportionate impression on how "poorly" built these cars are; for those who aren't having problems are not going to post about it. Think of it like the nightly news. They always report when a plane crashes but no one ever says "and in other news, Flight 815 made it safely!" What you are seeing and reading here, is all good advice but does not accurately represent the average corvette experience across every car and every owner. Here, you are surrounded by the picky, the concerned, the obsessed.

My advice? Buy yourself a good Vette and enjoy the heck out of it! Don't let this resource scare you... remember it's purpose and don't think that these cars are mechanically unsound based on that. Just because somebody listed a page of all things that *could* or *have* happened to any given vette... doesn't mean you'll get all of them; or even one of them. Just remember that this is a collection of information from a bunch of picky owners, and to be comprehensive it does help to have these problems discussed.

Now, every brand of car is going to have its own quirks and chronic issues... that is not unique to Corvettes. Many members here have taken their Vettes to well beyond 200,000 miles!

Last edited by Alaskanpilot; 03-16-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
belmor
Safety Car

Don't worry about it, make sure you have the car you pick inspected by a good mechanic and enjoy it. Anything that you drive can have issues, and there are some common ones to the Vette, none of which are a "huge deal" with regular maint. these cars will run for a long time. Mine has 115k on it, there is a member on this forum with over 300K on his ride.

~B~
Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot
Ok, let me set you straight.

First, consider where you are. This is a Corvette Forum. There are two types of people here:

1) Corvette enthusiasts
2) Corvette enthusiasts with a problem.

In either case, you have people who pay WAY more attention to their car than the average joe does. As such, we are the ones who are going to make mountains out of molehills, and question things that most people would not.

This does not indicate that Corvettes are problematic... only that us owners REALLY care about our cars and hold them to a higher standard.

The second type I mentioned, are people who want to fix something wrong with their car. They are going to come here because this is where the knowledge is. With that being said, you're going to get a disproportionate impression on how "poorly" built these cars are; for those who aren't having problems are not going to post about it. Think of it like the nightly news. They always report when a plane crashes but no one ever says "and in other news, Flight 815 made it safely!" What you are seeing and reading here, is all good advice but does not accurately represent the average corvette experience across every car and every owner. Here, you are surrounded by the picky, the concerned, the obsessed.

My advice? Buy yourself a good Vette and enjoy the heck out of it! Don't let this resource scare you... remember it's purpose and don't think that these cars are mechanically unsound based on that. Just because somebody listed a page of all things that *could* or *have* happened to any given vette... doesn't mean you'll get all of them; or even one of them. Just remember that this is a collection of information from a bunch of picky owners, and to be comprehensive it does help to have these problems discussed.

Now, every brand of car is going to have its own quirks and chronic issues... that is not unique to Corvettes. Many members here have taken their Vettes to well beyond 200,000 miles!
Well stated. But at the same time it's wise to remember when you buy a C5 you ARE buying a used car. I for one enjoy the time spent with the Vette whether it's driving in an event or turning a wrench. I have found however (thanks to the many knowledgeable folks here) the fun in maintaining the C5 generation car that seems to be made to take apart and put back together, nothing very tough, just time consuming. No need to be afraid of this car, but keep Corvetteforum.com in your bookmarks.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

I have fixed many things on my car thanks to this community. As long as you don't mind getting in the trenches with some tools, chances are if you do have a problem, someone here can help you out. There is definitely a brotherhood in this Forum and it definitely adds to the quality of ownership of the car.

If you decide to move forward, as an additional layer of security beyond a good mechanic's inspection, I'd do the following which you can do yourself:

1. Door Locks: Do the BOTH close (lock) and open (unlock) from the all door controls and remote. (Checks known problem with door lock from bad relay in door control module)
2. Windows: Do windows go up and down from all door controls.
3. HVAC: Test A/C does it blow cold from all vents? Test Heater, does it blow hot from all vents? Test Driver side/Passenger side split temperature ****... can driver and passenger side produce different temp's.
4. Ask seller if gas gauge gives accurate readings. (Checks gas gauge issues assuming you have an honest seller)
5. Get on the ground and look at differential... is it squeaky clean down there, or are there signs of oil leak (Checks the known leaky butt issue)

I am probably leaving out one or two additional items that I am sure someone else will chime in on...
Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM
e6bailey
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always get a warranty if you are so worried about it. Every car has its problems no matter what it is.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a vette you will not regret it i wish i bought one sooner great people here any problems just ask you wont lack for help or friendship
Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 931 Likes on 469 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

2000 C5 convertible - 27,000 miles - no problems, no issues.

As stated earlier, what you are reading here is a small percentage of Corvette owners who have a problem with their car. I think what you were reading was the sticky at the top in which the writer listed all the things that have been known to happen. That is not to say every Corvette owner will experience all those things.

And yes, I do know someone who has an outstanding `98 Pewter convertible for sale, but since we don't know where you are..............
Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Good advice stated above. Rule number one: take your time and buy the 'right' car for you. Leave your emotions at home. Do you homework on pirces and get a well-documented vehicle. I took over four months looking, spending 10-15 hours a week sometimes until I found the 'perfect' car just 150 miles from me. Rule number two: see rule number one.
Good luck.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
coxjajb
Advanced

I came from an S2000 not too long ago. If one reads their forum long you'll think they are not reliable and have a lot of problems too.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Plasticfan
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I felt exactly the same way after reading this forum before I bought my C5. It was just one horror story after another.
I finally figured out what Alaskanpilot so eloquently stated in his post. No one who drives their car that day w/o problems bothers to post about it.
I have now enjoyed my C5 for 9 trouble free months. Try it. I think you'll like it.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
CircledWagons
Racer

I have undoubtedly one of the best Vettes on this forum, but sadly for you it is not for sale - Well, maybe for hmmmm, how about an island in the Pacific? No not good enough - I'm getting ripped.

Let's see, how about a trip to the Space Station for a week. Nope, not that either.

Sorry, mine is not for sale.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Scruf,

Look at all the great tips and advice you have received in 5 hours (o.k. 4 hours, not including my .02). Set your goals as far as $$ budget, colors, and options, ie 6 speed or AT. Shoot for a newer C4 Vert with reasonably low miles. This is realistic, since so many CF Members only use their Verts part time.

Get it checked out by someone, preferably a mechanic or knowledgeable CF Member before your purchase. I have been very happy w my 01 TR Z51 Vert. You will be happy w yours also.

Oh, and fill out your profile, especially as to which part of the US you are in.

Rickman
Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
scrufy
4th Gear

Thanks for your response. I live in Boise, Idaho. Auto shift if possible. Let me know because I am going to buy one ASAP.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a good C5, however

Quick Reply: Looking for a good C5, however