Sponsored by:

glass roop panel scratches

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 PM
reebeno
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glass roop panel scratches

does anyone have any suggestion on how to remove scratches from a glass roof panel. I picked up a transparant targa top from a 2002 c5 but it has light scratches all over it, they actually look like swirl marks like someone used a buffer on it and scratched it.they are not really noticable from the outside, but from the inside it looks like spider webs. I waxed it and and I thought it got rid off them but *** soon as it rained they came back. Any thought or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by reebeno
does anyone have any suggestion on how to remove scratches from a glass roof panel. I picked up a transparant targa top from a 2002 c5 but it has light scratches all over it, they actually look like swirl marks like someone used a buffer on it and scratched it.they are not really noticable from the outside, but from the inside it looks like spider webs. I waxed it and and I thought it got rid off them but *** soon as it rained they came back. Any thought or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
You know I posted a reply, don't know where it went.well here goes again.I have buffed light scratches out with jewelers rough and a rag wheel,but for scratches you can feel with your fingernail take to a glass dealer.I have been looking for a fiberglass lid ,any color.Did you get a deal on your top?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:55 PM
JUS 1 MO
Instructor

Buff with paste silver polish. The kind that jewelers sell. I have had good results with all types of clear plastic/lexan. Good luck....
Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I sold my top and bought a perfect condition never used one from an 04 to fix that problem.
If it bothers you enough you can do the same. I paid 600 for one and sold mine for 300.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:49 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Go the Car Care section of the forum. There are some similar questions now. Lot of detailers hang out there and you can usually get pretty good advice. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 AM
reebeno
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by rrichar2591
Go the Car Care section of the forum. There are some similar questions now. Lot of detailers hang out there and you can usually get pretty good advice. Good luck.
Thanks alot rrichar2591, there is a company called Janvil products that have a plastic restore kit for $20.00. I called and they said it would work. thanks again, I will post the results.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reebeno
Thanks alot rrichar2591, there is a company called Janvil products that have a plastic restore kit for $20.00. I called and they said it would work. thanks again, I will post the results.

The top is not "plastic" it's made out of Lexon. The tint is applied to the outside of the top. If you try buffing it out, it removes the tint. Ask me how I know.....
Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1708092

This may help. I would stay away from any advice that uses something abrasive. Read your owners mannual section where it talks about the Lexan roof and you'll get a feel for how touchy it is. You may have some luck with the products that Killerwheels discusses. Again, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:19 PM
V-man
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Not sure if this will help but it's a cheap way out. I used Novus plastic polish on a 67 convertible rear window and it took out all of the fine scratches. Granted it wasn't lexan but it did take out all the fine scratches. Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To glass roop panel scratches

Quick Reply: glass roop panel scratches