Sponsored by:

Squeaking noise???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
77Stingray99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking noise???

I have a 99 auto. And i have this annoying squeaking sound coming from around where the belts and pulley's are. I changed both belts thinking that it was coming from one of them. Well it did not fix the problem. Just wondering if anyone might have any helpful input as to what it might be. I was thinking that it might be one of the pulley's going bad I dont know?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 04:15 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you have the dreaded pulley problem. Apparently the AC pulley and tensioner pulley are prone to squeal like Ned Beatty in Deliverance and the only cure is replacement. I have to get mine done because the noise is driving me nuts.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM
77Stingray99
Advanced

allright cool. Thanks so much. I was thinking it was a pulley but I didnt know which one it might be. But I will have to some replacements and do that right away bc it is very annoying. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:23 PM
lear450
Cruising

I have a 99 coupe auto and have been trying to solve this too. Dealer replaced a pulley then had to have the harmonic balancer replaced and the belt and then finally the pulley for the power steering pump. Now the problem has finally gone away. good luck
Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Carl M. Stapp Jr.
Heel & Toe

Default Squeaking Pulley

Replace the AC drive belt with a 1/2 inch longer Goodyear Gatorback belt. No more noise.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:04 PM
0JPM@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Location: The AutoBuffs Army is unmatched in the Custom world! www.autobuffs.net
S. Jersey Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Mine was the Idler pulley...check that as it is the little pesky bugger that hides where the noise is comin g from!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:56 PM
capehorn3
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Why "1/2 inch longer Goodyear Gatorback belt"
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Jboger2K
Heel & Toe

AC tensioner pulleys and headlights,... things I know about. If it is a squeek, get the belts, if it is a god awful squeal that starts after the car has run a few minutes, it is a pulley. I had the squeal, and need the belts, different sounds. If it is loud and occurs when the engine is running about 1500 rpm or so, it is most likely ac tensioner.
If you are a DIY, get a cheap mechanics stethoscope ( I paid $6) and carfully set the tip on each pulley nut, you will hear the bad one. I changed the water pump, idler pulley, then bought the steth. $380 education, yours for free!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:00 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
Sounds like you have the dreaded pulley problem. Apparently the AC pulley and tensioner pulley are prone to squeal like Ned Beatty in Deliverance and the only cure is replacement. I have to get mine done because the noise is driving me nuts.
I had this same problem. Best bet is to replace both pulleys on the AC belt at the same time as they are a b**ch to get to. Plus, they aren't sold at the Auto Parts stores. You have to get them fromt he dealer.

But I would never advocate anything shady like getting the part number and ordering them from GMPartsdirect.com or anything like that.

You can also search previous threads. The part number is out there
Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

review this

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1835020

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ow+Idle+Speeds

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...dler+Pulley%29

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...g+Garage+Shift

For additional help

Last edited by Got uid0; 10-23-2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

good stuff, knowledgefreak.

OP, The part number you are looking for is 12564401. I believe it has been superceded by another number, but if you ask for this one, most systems will automatically cross reference you to the new one.

Also, if you can't get the part any time soon and need a quick TEMPORARY fix right now, you can pop the plastic covers off of the center of the bearings that covers the ***** inside and repack it with high temp grease. I had to do this for a trip from Jacksonville, FL to Augusta, GA. like I said, it's good for a TEMPORARY fix only.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaking noise???

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise???