C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattlesnake-like sound from a C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 AM
vvv
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattlesnake-like sound from a C5

2000 C5 Coupe - 70,000 miles

Just started happening. When I turn the car on I hear what sounds like
this pinging sound or rattlesnake like sound coming from the front of the car. And it gets louder if I turn on the AC.

I popped the hood with the engine running and the sound appeared to be coming from around the serpentine belt area, so I replaced it because I recently found out it was cracking and was meaning to replace it anyway... But the sound still persists.

The sound has a higher frequency as I accelerate, and it's much more prominent when I'm driving next to a curb (sound bouncing off the curb) So is it coming from near the wheels?

The sound seems to go away if I have been driving for a while or if I come back to the car after it having been parked for a few hours. But when I leave it parked overnight, the sound is back strong in the morning.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First check to see if there is anything stuck in your fans.

If not, then trying starting the car without the accessories belt. If the noise stops it is one of your accessories.

If you said it gets worse with the A/C running, have you checked the A/C belt too?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:29 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

It sounds to me like one of the idler pullies or the water pump. With the engine running, take a long screwdriver and touch it to the components in the belt system (fixed portions). It will amplify the noise when you find the source of the problem. The sound will resonate through the screwdriver and yous hould also be able to feel what's causing the noise.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 AM
FireLieutenantPhilly
Instructor

Default Kinda the same noise under mild acceleration 99 6spd.

Yep, I;m investigating the same type of noise more like a scissors blades coming together.. will keep ya posted

Just started happening. When I turn the car on I hear what sounds like
this pinging sound or rattlesnake like sound coming from the front of the car. And it gets louder if I turn on the AC.

I popped the hood with the engine running and the sound appeared to be coming from around the serpentine belt area, so I replaced it because I recently found out it was cracking and was meaning to replace it anyway... But the sound still persists.

The sound has a higher frequency as I accelerate, and it's much more prominent when I'm driving next to a curb (sound bouncing off the curb) So is it coming from near the wheels?

The sound seems to go away if I have been driving for a while or if I come back to the car after it having been parked for a few hours. But when I leave it parked overnight, the sound is back strong in the morning.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Old 10-11-2007, 08:57 AM
02gt350
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could it be the lifters? has it had head or cam work done? cuz thats what mine and every other C5 sounds like..a sewing machine
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had this happen before on a 99 coupe. Turned out to be the idler pulley....kind of makes a chirping sound
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Y2KVert
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor 06

Belt tensioner / idler pulley.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:25 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You all are describing one of these:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ow+Idle+Speeds
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...dler+Pulley%29
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...g+Garage+Shift
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 PM
gpracer1
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Sadly, I just started getting the same noise. It starts about 1 minute after a cold start or after you let the car cool down for a few hours and then goes away after it gets hot or a few miles of driving. Its like a chirp chirp mixed with a hiss, scissors sound like it too.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Showdown
Pro

I'd like to know the answer when you guys figure it out. GOOD LUCK to you
Old 10-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Showdown
Pro

When I had a sound like what you guys are describing, It turned out to be the harmonic balancer.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
schmaltzr
Instructor

My idler pully makes a squeek when it's cold. It does go away when it gets warm. If you want to find out if it is the idler pully, simply get a squirt bottle and set the squirt on 'Stream'. Start the car and pump a few squirts on the pully center. If the bearing is the problem, the water will slightly lubricate it and the sound will go away for a while. If the sound doesn't go away then it's something else in your serpentine belt area. Make sure your power steering fluid is at the correct level too.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:59 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
It sounds to me like one of the idler pullies or the water pump. With the engine running, take a long screwdriver and touch it to the components in the belt system (fixed portions). It will amplify the noise when you find the source of the problem. The sound will resonate through the screwdriver and yous hould also be able to feel what's causing the noise.
You can also use a length of garden hose. Move one end to the different pulleys/accessories, etc., (using extreme caution to not get your hand or the hose wrapped up in something), while holding the other end to your ear. And ye shall hear the offender.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 AM
vvv
5th Gear

Originally Posted by gpracer1
Sadly, I just started getting the same noise. It starts about 1 minute after a cold start or after you let the car cool down for a few hours and then goes away after it gets hot or a few miles of driving. Its like a chirp chirp mixed with a hiss, scissors sound like it too.
Yes, same here. It appears to happen more often when the car is cold.

Did you ever find out the cause BTW?

-vvv
Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM
vvv
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 02gt350
could it be the lifters? has it had head or cam work done? cuz thats what mine and every other C5 sounds like..a sewing machine
No, it hasn't had any head or cam work done. But I think 'sewing machine' would more accurately describe the sound its making. Scissor-like even, and chirpy

To summarize, folks on this forum have suggested it could be,

A/C belt
lifters
water pump
belt tensioner
idler pulley
harmonic balancer

With most folks leaning towards idler pulley probs.

As an aside - if I could only find a decent corvette mechanic in the Northern Virginia area. Dealerships are such a ripoff!

-vvv
Old 10-15-2007, 08:16 AM
b18c1950
Instructor

i have the same exact problem the squeak of the belt when its cold. I only have 33k in the car. but its a 99 so i went ahead a replaced the serpentine belt anyway it had very minor cracks.
either way i ve noticed it now i don't remember noticing it before (ive only had the car 9 days).

its so annoying .

the noise does go away after couple mins but i know for sure i cant hear the noise at idle. Only at 1100-2500 rpm

Get notified of new replies

To rattlesnake-like sound from a C5

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
b18c1950
Instructor

As an aside - if I could only find a decent corvette mechanic in the Northern Virginia area. Dealerships are such a ripoff!

I can do general stuff but i haven't found a mechanic yet. Let me know if you do??

i heard of some guy name tony or tonys shop heard hes really good. not really sure on contact info
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PierEagle
You can also use a length of garden hose. Move one end to the different pulleys/accessories, etc., (using extreme caution to not get your hand or the hose wrapped up in something), while holding the other end to your ear. And ye shall hear the offender.

Cheers
I have a mechanic's stethoscope that I use to isolate the source of noises such as these. You can purchase one at most auto parts stores, and they work really great.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:05 PM
gg91c4
Instructor

I too am very interested in what it turns out to be. Mine turned out to be the h2o pump. All sorts of of diagnostic listening lead me to give that a 50% prob. When I took the belt off the pulley was quite wobbly. With the belt on it tracked true. I took the frisbee off and now I wonder what sort of demons that move has uncorked, but that might be a subject for another thread.

Quick Reply: rattlesnake-like sound from a C5