Notices
C5 Corvettes for Sale Classifieds: Used C5 Corvettes for sale as well as modified or stock Corvettes

what IS high milage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:44 PM
retired08
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default what IS high milage?

Hello Vetteforum people, I'm new to the Forum however, I've owned three Vette's, an '86, '96 and an '04 and now I'm going to buy another C-5. I'm well aware of potential problems with high milage (80k +) cars and trucks regardless of the year but I'd like to know if there is a particular year and/or problems I should watch out for in the C-5's. My next question is...when do these cars start to produce "problems" like "don't buy one that has over 75K regardless of the overall condition...any help, suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Tyler Dirden
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
I've seen a C5 w/300K FS on here and it looked good. It was maintained by an aircraft mechanic. So it all depends on the owner (s).

This may be of some help
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1249213

I would entertain all years for C5

The good thing about a high mileage car that has been well maintained is that the most if not all the gremlins have been dealt with. I bought a modded (heads, cam, intake, headers) Z06 w/ 92k miles and have had very little trouble with it. There are some real bargains out there. I've also seen some w/ 30-40k miles on them with webs hanging off of them & mice poop under the engine covers!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 AM
carfeller
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things to consider, IMO...

If you want to retain any hope of resell value than the lower the mileage the better, plus being completely stock helps.

However if you want the best car for you then you can find high mileage cars which are done up just the way you want at a very cheap price point. A lot of 500+ hp C5s with superchargers and other bells and whistles have been selling around here for less than 15 grand. That is a lot of car for the money.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
retired08
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Good comments

Thanks for the input...Are there any "particular" issues that I need to watch out for like: "don't buy an '03 automatic because of transmission problems" or "stay away from cars with over 135,000 miles" ...This will be my forth Vette and I've been dealing with cars and trucks for quite some time so I'm prety well "up" on most of the potential problems arising from high milage vehicles. I just wanted to ask you guy's who are much more knowledgeable about Vette particular's...

Get notified of new replies

To what IS high milage?

Quick Reply: what IS high milage?