C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Emails with Tony Mamo at AFR

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:52 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Do yourself a favor and pull all of your invoices and check the part numbers that you used for all of the gaskets. Double check all of the parts numbers you've bought for correct applications and move on. Is there a spring in your lower hose?
No Spring In The Hose. I Used Fel-Pro 1205 Intake Gaskets, Fel-Pro Thermostat Gasket, And Chevrolet Performance #10105117 Head Gasket.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I thought you fixed it??

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...t=danielricany

I run AFR/TPIS heads......it's not the heads......

This may be the problem......

Last edited by 856SPEED; 04-21-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

While you won't hurt your engine by turning 4000rpm under no load, doing that has no basis in the real world. There is no logical reason that I can think of to do it.

Cruising at 4000rpm?? You'd have to be cruising at well over 100mph AND/OR be in a low gear to be turning that much. Both situations are as unusual as holding 4000rpm for an extended period of time under no load.

Does your car overheat under NORMAL circumstances??

I would NOT install a 160 degree T-stat. I wouldn't even install a 180 degree T-stat. Your car's engine controls system was designed to run at higher temps and will run best at design temps on the street.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Or this thread was equally concerning.........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...questions.html
Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
I thought you fixed it??

I run AFR/TPIS heads......it's not the heads......

This may be the problem......

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Or this thread was equally concerning.........

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...questions.html
I fixed the leak by using a different gasket. I also believe I may have used thread locker instead of thread sealer on the head bolts the first time around. Also, I fixed the other overheating problem, where it would overheat just driving around normally around town or on the highway.

Originally Posted by rocco16
While you won't hurt your engine by turning 4000rpm under no load, doing that has no basis in the real world. There is no logical reason that I can think of to do it.

Cruising at 4000rpm?? You'd have to be cruising at well over 100mph AND/OR be in a low gear to be turning that much. Both situations are as unusual as holding 4000rpm for an extended period of time under no load.

Does your car overheat under NORMAL circumstances??

I would NOT install a 160 degree T-stat. I wouldn't even install a 180 degree T-stat. Your car's engine controls system was designed to run at higher temps and will run best at design temps on the street.
Well they technically are normal conditions for me. I have 3.75:1 in the rear. 70 mph in 4th gear is around 3,000 RPMs.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:18 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I had a friend who had problem with his pump impeller spinning, but only when it got nice and hot. It would expand just enough too slip, he even pulled and checked it, cold it was nice and tight. Wasn't until he boiled it in a big pot and checked it he found the flaw. Your pump could have been flawed but still cooled enough before the upgrades. Sometimes you just gotta keep trying till you find it and it could be something you'd never thought of causing the problem. GL hope it's the pump.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:24 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Running that high RPM while the car is sitting still is asking for high temps. Even with the fans running, there is very little airflow going thru the radiator. Low airflow=overheating.

You are now saying you installed an "old" water pump. How old? One year? Two? 10 years?

Not having a spring in the lower hose should not be an issue assuming the hose is new. If you can find a hose with a spring, then I would suggest you buy one and keep for a spare or install it and keep the other hose as the spare.

Again, pull the current water pump off and inspect the impeller. Look for correct rotation and/or any wear on the blades or if the impeller is not moving water in the right direction.

I watched the video you shot of the serp belt tensioner and yes, they will jump around when the throttle is opened quickly. But if that spring is weak, the jump will still happen and once RPM stabilizes, there is a chance the belt will slip on the W/P pulley. W/P pulley slipping=overheating.

Do this check and if you still have concerns, install the correct water pump before diving into the heads. I don't think you have any issues at all with the heads.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Running that high RPM while the car is sitting still is asking for high temps. Even with the fans running, there is very little airflow going thru the radiator. Low airflow=overheating.

You are now saying you installed an "old" water pump. How old? One year? Two? 10 years?

Not having a spring in the lower hose should not be an issue assuming the hose is new. If you can find a hose with a spring, then I would suggest you buy one and keep for a spare or install it and keep the other hose as the spare.

Again, pull the current water pump off and inspect the impeller. Look for correct rotation and/or any wear on the blades or if the impeller is not moving water in the right direction.

I watched the video you shot of the serp belt tensioner and yes, they will jump around when the throttle is opened quickly. But if that spring is weak, the jump will still happen and once RPM stabilizes, there is a chance the belt will slip on the W/P pulley. W/P pulley slipping=overheating.

Do this check and if you still have concerns, install the correct water pump before diving into the heads. I don't think you have any issues at all with the heads.
If I'm not mistaken, the previous owner may have replaced the water pump less than two years ago. Also I replaced the tensioner about 8 months also.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Is your deflector under the car in good shape not all worn down that will make a difference

Hot Wired Auxiliary Fan
Get it wired right
If its running non stop esp on the fwy although it may not be THE problem it can heat things up
The incoming air needs somewhere to go if the speed is greater than the fans. If the fans are always on hello heat.
X2 on ckg the water pump impeller. Its something simple that youre missing just gotta dig into it. Bet the heads are just fine.

Maybe you could ask Tony about what we think.

Second thought scratch that

Last edited by cv67; 04-21-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:03 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Is your deflector under the car in good shape not all worn down that will make a difference

Get it wired right
If its running non stop esp on the fwy although it may not be THE problem it can heat things up
The incoming air needs somewhere to go if the speed is greater than the fans. If the fans are always on hello heat. The C4 cooling system is a joke when everythign is right imo. one things off you got issues.

X2 on ckg the water pump impeller. Its something simple that youre missing just gotta dig into it. Bet the heads are just fine.

Maybe you could ask Tony about what we think.

Second thought scratch that
I hot wired the fan previously when I had the other overheating problem, which proved the point of it not being insufficient air flow through the radiator. And yes my air dams are in place.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

When the lower hose sucks shut you may not see it happen from just revving it up may need to be held there for some time, happened to me. Had the wrong type of radiator cap on it.
You can buy springs on ebay they are stainless

are you still running the stock fan(s)?

Last edited by cv67; 04-21-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:07 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,

A forum member alerted me about this thread.

Long story short I have been speaking with this customer since March and have had many emails with him.....a few of them responding on weekends, evenings etc. I have invested a good deal of time trying to help Daniel sort through all of this and never gave him the impression that AFR would not stand behind the product in the event he had an issue related to our heads which is certainly a possibility. During that time I received a few emails from Dan stating he resolved the problem or found a situation that might have.

This one from 3/28

Hey Tony, the thermostat was the problem. I used an AC Delco 195 thermostat this time and it wouldn't overheat. I guess I won't be purchasing thermostats from the local parts store next time. Tomorrow I'm going to put a 180 in it because I'd like it to run a little cooler.

Thanks for all your help man it was a pleasure working with you
This one on 3/31

I am investigating that now. I used a voltmeter and measured voltage at the wire where I wired in an inline fuse for the cooling fan relay, I jiggled the fuse and the connection cut in and out. I'm waiting on a proper inline fuse connector from the parts store now. I also had my tuner make me a rich tune to try out
I wont lie, it got to the point I was more questioning the install and/or some of the components than the actual heads but during this time I clearly conveyed to Daniel that we (AFR) will gladly look over the heads and evaluate them for proper water flow. While extremely rare, occasionally there is an issue at the foundry where part of the water jacket can be blocked off due to issues with the water jacket mold when they poured the casting. Its rare but it happens and visually you cant see anything wrong unless you literally cut the head in half so you can examine all the water jacket passages.

Ultimately when dealing with a situation like this its always best to cross all your T's and dot your I's prior to removing the cylinder heads to avoid alot of extra work in the event it was something silly (a kinked rad hose, bad water pump impeller, faulty thermostat, issues with electric fans or the radiator itself.....etc. etc. It would be a crime to have removed the heads without being confident all the other components in the system were functioning properly. Also, a cooling system that might have been on the ragged edge at 300 RWHP might not be up to the task of cooling an engine making 100 HP more.....power is heat and it needs to be shed.

My goal was to help figure out if he had other issues potentially causing this and Daniel himself admitted he didnt want to pull the trigger too quickly on labeling the heads as the problem.

Also guys.....nothing wrong with running a performance engine at cooler water temps. Hot oil and 160-180 degree water temps make power.....less underhood heat baking all the induction components for a denser air charge.....motor less prone to detonation etc. Running an engine close to 200 degrees reduces emissions ever so slightly....no performance benefits whatsoever.

Daniel.....if your confident you have exhausted all the effort you want checking other potential problem scenarios by all means lets pull the heads and have you send them in for evaluation. If there is a water flow issue with the heads we will either fix or replace them, cover all your freight, and send you new head gaskets as well. You would need to contact me prior to sending them in so I could assign you an RMA number.

You know how to get in touch with me

Thanks,
Tony
Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Daniel, My suggestion is to replace the waterpump,( it's ordered already, might as well put it in) put a spring in the hose, to stop any collapsing problem you may have, and see what happens....That may be all you need....WW
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Guys,

A forum member alerted me about this thread.

Long story short I have been speaking with this customer since March and have had many emails with him.....a few of them responding on weekends, evenings etc. I have invested a good deal of time trying to help Daniel sort through all of this and never gave him the impression that AFR would not stand behind the product in the event he had an issue related to our heads which is certainly a possibility. During that time I received a few emails from Dan stating he resolved the problem or found a situation that might have.

This one from 3/28

This one on 3/31

I wont lie, it got to the point I was more questioning the install and/or some of the components than the actual heads but during this time I clearly conveyed to Daniel that we (AFR) will gladly look over the heads and evaluate them for proper water flow. While extremely rare, occasionally there is an issue at the foundry where part of the water jacket can be blocked off due to issues with the water jacket mold when they poured the casting. Its rare but it happens and visually you cant see anything wrong unless you literally cut the head in half so you can examine all the water jacket passages.

Ultimately when dealing with a situation like this its always best to cross all your T's and dot your I's prior to removing the cylinder heads to avoid alot of extra work in the event it was something silly (a kinked rad hose, bad water pump impeller, faulty thermostat, issues with electric fans or the radiator itself.....etc. etc. It would be a crime to have removed the heads without being confident all the other components in the system were functioning properly. Also, a cooling system that might have been on the ragged edge at 300 RWHP might not be up to the task of cooling an engine making 100 HP more.....power is heat and it needs to be shed.

My goal was to help figure out if he had other issues potentially causing this and Daniel himself admitted he didnt want to pull the trigger too quickly on labeling the heads as the problem.

Also guys.....nothing wrong with running a performance engine at cooler water temps. Hot oil and 160-180 degree water temps make power.....less underhood heat baking all the induction components for a denser air charge.....motor less prone to detonation etc. Running an engine close to 200 degrees reduces emissions ever so slightly....no performance benefits whatsoever.

Daniel.....if your confident you have exhausted all the effort you want checking other potential problem scenarios by all means lets pull the heads and have you send them in for evaluation. If there is a water flow issue with the heads we will either fix or replace them, cover all your freight, and send you new head gaskets as well. You would need to contact me prior to sending them in so I could assign you an RMA number.

You know how to get in touch with me

Thanks,
Tony
Thanks for the response, Tony. Rest assured I am not upset with you about anything, and I am thankful for your time and advice helping me through this!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
ynot d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen overheating caused by setting the timing too far advanced. (initial)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

daniel

Is there any chance that you are pressurizing your coolant? By getting exhaust bubbles into your water jacket from bolts or head gasket that is not sealing?

Its easy to check, just look for bubbles in the radiator Fluid while you are idling it (cap off). Might want to try a range of rpms.

Is the car using/losing coolant?

I was told a zillion times to be sure to run thread chasers, brake cleaner thru the head bolt holes (must pull out the knock sensors to drain all of that nasty solvent mess out) and then use thread sealer on the head bolts.

I havent had any over heat issues on my afr 195 for ltx and i also happily run the 160 tstat. That, with reprogrammed fans, makes the car run 175f or less.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 04-21-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

If your crusing at 4k in 6th or with an auto going to jail is going to cost you more then getting your motor cool. If your not in 6th i have to ask why you would cruise in a lower gear?
Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Well That Isn't Even The Point. If I Cruise Over 4k RPMs It Overheats, If I Go WOT Passed 4k RPMs Through A 1/4 Mile, It Overheats.

Get notified of new replies

To Emails with Tony Mamo at AFR

Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
If your crusing at 4k in 6th or with an auto going to jail is going to cost you more then getting your motor cool. If your not in 6th i have to ask why you would cruise in a lower gear?
Uhh...he is attempting to diagnose a problem where rpm may be a factor.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:24 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

His symptoms relate to a combustion leak into the coolant. Someone with an emissions wand needs to take a sniff at the cap. Napa also sells a chem test.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
daniel

Is there any chance that you are pressurizing your coolant? By getting exhaust bubbles into your water jacket from bolts or head gasket that is not sealing?
If the water pump turns out to be a non problem, I would lean toward the head gasket. The fact that the problem only occurs at high RPMs lends some credence to a leak that only shows when cylinder pressures are at the highest.

Quick Reply: Emails with Tony Mamo at AFR