C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

New Exhaust 94 C4

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM
billl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Exhaust 94 C4

I thought I would just make a new thread and ask my questions. I just bought a 94 C4 Convertible with 32k on the clock. Really nice car but it sounds way too mellow to me. I just got a rid of a 85 and it had way more aggressive sound, but it didn't drone. I don't want one that is going to drive me nuts just driving down the road either. I just want it to sound like the sports car it is.

So I'm looking for exhaust advice. I don't want it super loud but I would like it to be a lot more aggressive than it is now. I found a couple systems I like the looks of on Amazon I'll post the links below. I really like the looks of the Borla and the square tips. If anyone has any experience with any of these I'd like to hear about it good or bad. Also this is just what I found briefly searching I'm not in any way locked into these. I'm open to just about any suggestions. I listed them in my preferred order. Though I don't know that I need to do the entire exhaust system to do what I want? I was really thinking all I need is the axle back? The muffler on the drivers side has started leaking, I had a little puddle of rust on the garage floor the other day after a brief drive. It was leaking from the front of the muffler so I'm assuming it is starting to rust out anyway. I didn't crawl under the car to take a good look yet. I'm guessing though like most cars the stuff more forward is probably ok to keep as long as there aren't any holes started and it looks solid?

Thanks,

Bill

Borla 11471 Corvette Rear Section Exhaust System : Amazon.com : Automotive Borla 11471 Corvette Rear Section Exhaust System : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: Borla 14385 Corvette Cat-Back System Exhaust: Automotive Amazon.com: Borla 14385 Corvette Cat-Back System Exhaust: Automotive

Amazon.com: Magnaflow 15623 Stainless Steel 3" Dual Cat-Back Exhaust System: Automotive Amazon.com: Magnaflow 15623 Stainless Steel 3" Dual Cat-Back Exhaust System: Automotive

Flowmaster 9430512 50 Delta Flow Muffler - 3.00 Offset IN / 2.50 Dual OUT - Moderate Sound : Amazon.com : Automotive Flowmaster 9430512 50 Delta Flow Muffler - 3.00 Offset IN / 2.50 Dual OUT - Moderate Sound : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 06-16-2013, 04:32 PM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't have any experience with what you have listed, but CORSA will get you the sound you want. As far as the look the tips are round.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Racod
Instructor

here is what I did. The LT1s have a different rear set up but utilize same mufflers.. Real happy with magna flow. DEEP rumble.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...e-1st-mod.html
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Blue78
Advanced

I just had a Corsa cat-back system installed and I LOVE it. Great sound on acceleration but quiet at cruising speed, and NO DRONE, exactly as advertised. Got it from Autoplicity for just under $1200. Worth every dime.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Cheechsmith
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 96 I just recently purchased has the Borla system on it. It had so much drone it was almost unbearable. The best part is the system was no louder than the stock system. I had the resonator removed and replaced with a xpipe. Now it sounds great. Sorta deep and smooth with little to no drone.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 PM
dphilC4
Instructor

I have experience with magnaflow and Corsa only, but IMO Corsa is the way to go. Most have not been disappointed except with their bank account!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 PM
higgyburners
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy
St. Jude Donor '15,'19

Originally Posted by armysnipe
I don't have any experience with what you have listed, but CORSA will get you the sound you want. As far as the look the tips are round.
when I redo mine it will be headers and Corsa for sure.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM
speedycat3
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I did with mine, I wanted a bit more muscular sound but not overly loud. Now it is only loud when I want it to be.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...ered-type.html
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought my 92, a previous owner had replaced the mufflers with a pair of Borlas.
The drone in the 35 to 45 mph range was horrendous.

I replaced everything from the block to the tips with a Stainless Works system.
Long tube (JetHot coated) headers, no cats, x-pipe, SW chambered mufflers, and polished square tips.

Not too loud, but she definitely sounds healthy.
I'm happy.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
mgroshong
Pro

Corsa is by far the best functioning and sounding exhaust i have heard on a corvette personally. Now i haven't heard it on a c4 only c5's but it really is drone free.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 PM
billl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni
When I bought my 92, a previous owner had replaced the mufflers with a pair of Borlas.
The drone in the 35 to 45 mph range was horrendous.

I replaced everything from the block to the tips with a Stainless Works system.
Long tube (JetHot coated) headers, no cats, x-pipe, SW chambered mufflers, and polished square tips.

Not too loud, but she definitely sounds healthy.
I'm happy.
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yes I've not read much good about Borla's system. Many people have complained about the droning. Read a lot of good about Corsa, but they are even more expensive than Borla. I recently found this system NXT STEP PERFORMANCE Corvette C4 T304 Stainless Steel Axle Back System 1992 - 1996 they are going for $359 on Ebay. Wondering if anyone has any experience with them on a C4. The reviews for the C5 were good but the exhaust is a completely different configuration on the C5 so there is probably no correlation between the two in terms of sound or if they drone.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The (late) C4 uses the LT motor while the C5 uses the LS series.
Two completely different animals.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:38 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

I have a B&B catback on my 93. I love it but it is $200 more than the Corsa.

Enjoy.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM
billl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IAFF alumni
The (late) C4 uses the LT motor while the C5 uses the LS series.
Two completely different animals.
Yes I'm quite aware of this fact. What I was referring to though. Is that the layout of the rear mufflers is completely different also and hence it's impossible to compare sounds. Since the exhaust routing is so different.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 06-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Klyde
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You should check into the OBX CatBack System. The construction is very good and the price is the lowest of them all. I really like mine on my 96'. A small amount of drone while going slow under load but from 45mph on up there just right. I'm not even sure I would call it a drone. It is just a deep growl when going up hill slowly. The polished Stainless looks great and my kit only cost $440,00 shipped.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Still happy with the muffler eliminators on the stock pipes.
The LT-1 rumbles like the big blocks of yesteryear.

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 06-19-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 PM
billl
Intermediate

Default New thought

I want to thank everyone for their replies so far. I'm looking at going a different route now. I'd like some opinions. I don't want to spend the money at this time to do a full cat back system. All of the axle back systems cut the pipes right at the Y or just ahead of it and your left with the look of a steel system going into a stainless system. I dont' think that would look very good?

Buddy of mine runs his own garage and works on all kinds of cars. Anyway he suggested the cheapest thing to try first is remove the resonators and just replace it with straight pipe. He has all the stuff to do it right. But I'm wondering will this make the car sound more aggressive? And most importantly am I going to get that dreaded drone at speed that many of you have seen with different exhaust systems? Anyone with any experience please feel free to chime in here. He said we could cut the pipes long enough so we can put them back on if it makes matters worse. Since mine is a 94 I don't have to worry about the computer check for my state's inspection. I don't think they can get me for inadequate exhaust? Since I will be leaving the stock mufflers on. I'm wondering though will I end up with a check engine light on all the time if I do this? Not sure how this is going to effect back pressure?

Thanks,

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To New Exhaust 94 C4

Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Sargevette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the Magnaflow on my 93 when I had it. Yes had to cut the pipes.
Loved the price and sound.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:58 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by billl
I'm looking at going a different route now. I'd like some opinions. I don't want to spend the money at this time to do a full cat back system. Buddy of mine runs his own garage and works on all kinds of cars. Anyway he suggested the cheapest thing to try first is remove the resonators and just replace it with straight pipe. He has all the stuff to do it right. Bill
Replace the mufflers with straight pipes and leave the resonator on. It won't be as loud as you think.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by billl
I want to thank everyone for their replies so far. I'm looking at going a different route now. I'd like some opinions. I don't want to spend the money at this time to do a full cat back system. All of the axle back systems cut the pipes right at the Y or just ahead of it and your left with the look of a steel system going into a stainless system. I dont' think that would look very good?

Buddy of mine runs his own garage and works on all kinds of cars. Anyway he suggested the cheapest thing to try first is remove the resonators and just replace it with straight pipe. He has all the stuff to do it right. But I'm wondering will this make the car sound more aggressive? And most importantly am I going to get that dreaded drone at speed that many of you have seen with different exhaust systems? Anyone with any experience please feel free to chime in here. He said we could cut the pipes long enough so we can put them back on if it makes matters worse. Since mine is a 94 I don't have to worry about the computer check for my state's inspection. I don't think they can get me for inadequate exhaust? Since I will be leaving the stock mufflers on. I'm wondering though will I end up with a check engine light on all the time if I do this? Not sure how this is going to effect back pressure?

Thanks,

Bill
This is almost exactly what is on my 94 now. Factory mufflers, resonator removed and x pipe welded in. I can say from first hand experience that there is no drone at all. The exhaust is pretty quiet at idle and cruise. Rev it and the volume picks up and it has a growl to it that isn't there with the resonator. Hit full throttle and it screams.

I did the loud mufflers for a while. Eventually I didn't want to drive the car on long trips because it was just to loud and annoying. The setup I described above isn't for everyone but its a nice in between that I like. Basically loud when I want and almost factory silent the rest of the time.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust 94 C4