C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 Corvette distributor timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:50 PM
jseer891
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Corvette distributor timing issues

I have a 1992 corvette. The car starting missing so I ran the codes. The computer said the distributor was bad. So I changed it. Now the car won't start. I have fuel and fire to the plugs. The car was running before I changed the distributor. So I figured I had gotten a bad part. So I have changed the distributor 3 times now and the car still won't start. I do get some back fire. I have checked the plug wire to make sure the firing order is correct. Several times
When I removed my distributor the cover had cracked. So I removed the cover and brought the car to TDC. The rotor should be pointing in the 6 o'clock postion. But its pointing at the 7:30 mark. I really think the car has jumped time. But I am not sure how that would happen just by replacing the distributor. I am in the process of pulling the timing cover off to check the timing gears and chain. But I seem to having problems getting the balancer hub off. I am open for anyone thoughts on how to get the balancer hub off or what else is going on here. The car has 135k on it and has always ran well Thanks
Old 05-16-2012, 06:27 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are talking about an LT1, right? What were the codes?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,067 Posts

You're installing the distributor wrong. No need to pull the timing cover or anything else. There is a tiny flat spot on the early Opti that gets aligned with the flat spot in the drive gear. It is VERY easy to force the Opti into place. The Opti should seat up using hand pressure only. If you have to seat it using bolts, it's in wrong. If you have to really force it by hand, it's in wrong.

This thread should help you. I know it says the Opti can't be installed wrong, but plenty have forced them into place incorrectly.

Opti Install

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Corvette distributor timing issues

Quick Reply: 1992 Corvette distributor timing issues