C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

WUHUU! New cam is installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Bulldog Steve
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it
Old 02-15-2009, 01:25 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Lars87
There is slight vibration at some rpms, but right now I have misfire problems,so not sure what its really like yet.
Unless you burned a plug wire or didn't seat one all the way, it's not really a misfire. It's the PCM interpreting the lope from the cam as misfire. Hence the reason you need a tune
Old 02-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Unless you burned a plug wire or didn't seat one all the way, it's not really a misfire. It's the PCM interpreting the lope from the cam as misfire. Hence the reason you need a tune
The car really has missfire, especiacially at low speed in higher gears. This might be my opti crapping out, see the thread with pictures of my opti

How does a dying optispark feel?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...park-dead.html
Old 02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,067 Posts

The car really has missfire, especiacially at low speed in higher gears. This might be my opti crapping out, see the thread with pictures of my opti

How does a dying optispark feel?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...park-dead.html
The Opti has seen better days. If you had misfires and surging before the cam swap, then to me that is akin to a smoking gun.

However...It's not unusual for there to be cam surge with the HOT Cam and the stock tune. You'll feel the surge at low rpms in the higher gears as you've described.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
The Opti has seen better days. If you had misfires and surging before the cam swap, then to me that is akin to a smoking gun.

However...It's not unusual for there to be cam surge with the HOT Cam and the stock tune. You'll feel the surge at low rpms in the higher gears as you've described.
Thanks.

As I thought it looks like I am looking at a PCM tune and a new optispark.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:04 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Hmm it might be a tad louder, it seems more PUNCHY! with the cam..

And YES, I have a gnarling sounds with the Fidanza, dont mind it though, it racey

It not so much a "rocks in can" sound more as a bad throw out bearing or similar. Its not THAT badm but differently noticeable
I couldn't help but notice a missing ?? pilot bearing in the end of your crank.....might produce some noises all its own
Old 02-15-2009, 05:22 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Hmm it might be a tad louder, it seems more PUNCHY! with the cam..
If you mean responsive to rev -- especially off-idle, your alum flywheel is supposed to help with that too. Lots of weight removed from rotational mass.... but you probably already knew that before selecting the aluminum FW.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds great
Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 AM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C409
I couldn't help but notice a missing ?? pilot bearing in the end of your crank.....might produce some noises all its own
You think...

The stock bushing was replaced with the updated needle bearing before assenbly of the clutch/press. plate offcause
Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Good job Lars!

What made you decide on the hotcam?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Master__Shake_
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam sounds nice, not too smooth but not radical either. With the difference in cam sizes, you should pick up 8-10rwhp, but the main concern is to get rid of the surging/misfiring.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Thanks.

As I thought it looks like I am looking at a PCM tune and a new optispark.
Just had the Hotcam installed as well. Got the "random misfire code" all over the place. When I got her home, I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes. Hooked it back up. The SES light came on again but I just drove it, and sure enough, about a day later the went out and haven't seen it since. It's a little rough at idle but get it above 2000 and it starts to sing a beautiful song. Still, want to get a dyno tune this spring. I had the cap and rotor replaced while in there, seems fine.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Nice!

Some 4.10 gears would really compliment that Hotcam...definitely woke mine up even more.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JEFNLSA
Nice!

Some 4.10 gears would really compliment that Hotcam...definitely woke mine up even more.
have you ever dynoed yours?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

have you ever dynoed yours?
A couple of years ago I went to a Corvette Dyno Day @ a local performance shop...got 2 shots at it, w/ a best of 335rwhp. Surprisingly, that won me 2nd place in the naturally aspirated class.

FWIW..This was pre...LT headers, full 3" Exhaust w/ x-pipe (believe it or not, HUGE difference w/ this mod), EWP, Gears, new Opti & Re-tune.

*Car runs much stronger now...definitely time for a re-dyno.

Last edited by JEFNLSA; 02-17-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple of years ago I went to a Corvette Dyno Day @ a local performance shop...got 2 shots at it, w/ a best of 335rwhp. Surprisingly, that won me 2nd place in the naturally aspirated class.

FWIW..This was pre...LT headers, full 3" Exhaust w/ x-pipe (believe it or not, HUGE difference w/ this mod), EWP, Gears, new Opti & Re-tune.

*Car runs much stronger now...definitely time for a re-dyno.
Headers made the biggest seat of the pants difference in my car after the hot cam. We put the exact same headers on another 92 that was completely stock and it didn't do squat.

I do not have a lightweight flywheel yet, but I will whenever I go through my current clutch. You mentioned you like how it seems to rev better now. Put an electric water pump on it, underdrive pulleys and headers and you'll be stunned at the difference still.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons;1568983218I
do not have a lightweight flywheel yet, but I will whenever I go through my current clutch.
Yeah, that's one mod I've been kicking around for too long but can't seem to pull the trigger on.

Have a Centerforce Dual Friction w/stock Dual Mass now and the clutch feels/performs better than it ever has. Regardless, I owe it to myself and the car to at least give the aluminum flywheel a shot. Considering my current exhaust setup (& add no-cats to that), noise from the flywheel will NOT be an issue. ...and, from a performance standpoint, I consistently hear good things about the AF.

Jeff

What's your take on the new Fidanza Lars?...considering you were running the dual mass before.

Get notified of new replies

To WUHUU! New cam is installed!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
underdrive pulleys
I'm doing my cam swap this weekend. I was wanting to add some smaller pullyeys but the only one that seems to be a decent make is the ATI at $400.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Yeah, that's one mod I've been kicking around for too long but can't seem to pull the trigger on.

Have a Centerforce Dual Friction w/stock Dual Mass now and the clutch feels/performs better than it ever has. Regardless, I owe it to myself and the car to at least give the aluminum flywheel a shot. Considering my current exhaust setup (& add no-cats to that), noise from the flywheel will NOT be an issue. ...and, from a performance standpoint, I consistently hear good things about the AF.

Jeff

What's your take on the new Fidanza Lars?...considering you were running the dual mass before.
I havent had to much seat time with the Fidanza yet. BUT it revs faster for sure.
I stalled it the first time i drove out of the shop, but I dont think it will be hard to get use to using a little more revīs when setting off.

The gearbox is pretty noisy at idle (I have a soild clutch w.no springs), and there is added gearnoise when driving around, especially in 1,2 and 3 gear.

Rev matching when down shifting has now become an option

So there really are some gain and some drawback you have to consider. For noise is not that important, as i want a faster car around the track as the main priority.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:56 PM
JEFNLSA
Melting Slicks

I havent had to much seat time with the Fidanza yet. BUT it revs faster for sure.
I stalled it the first time i drove out of the shop, but I dont think it will be hard to get use to using a little more revīs when setting off.

The gearbox is pretty noisy at idle (I have a soild clutch w.no springs), and there is added gearnoise when driving around, especially in 1,2 and 3 gear.

Rev matching when down shifting has now become an option

So there really are some gain and some drawback you have to consider. For noise is not that important, as i want a faster car around the track as the main priority.
Thx for sharing your experience w/ the Fidanza...pls continue to post your thoughts as you get more time in w/ it.

Quick Reply: WUHUU! New cam is installed!