C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need to vent

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 09:37 PM
406 vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need to vent

I just need to say how happy I am with Corvette Forum and the good people I have had the pleasure of dealing with. On the other hand how wound-up I am about e-bay. The 23rd of June I sent off a Postal M/O for a bid I won on a couple of pieces I really need. The communication was daily untill after I sent the money. Now nothing, even after I have e-mailed three times. Oh well, I have been warned by forum members on other threads, but didn't listen. Wise words to others DON'T get burnt like I (think) I just did. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations. I am still hopefull and maybe something has happened beyond their control.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:42 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

What city does the seller live in? Maybe a Forum member could give him a call or pay him a friendly visit.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:46 PM
PsychoNumber1
Race Director

Well, it's happened to me before, guy actually had to go to a funeral. It's only been a few days, nothing to worry about yet. I use paypal when I can with the guarentee. wait until your 30 days are up and then complain to ebay, I beleive they reimburse (minus $50). Give it a while, I've taken off for a week and left a seller high and dry before (even though I had already sent payment) he left an e-mail saying respond or else, blah blah blah
Old 07-11-2004, 02:15 PM
406 vette
Instructor

Default need to vent

Thanks for the replys, yeah, you are right I should be patient for a little while longer. perhaps something unforseen has happened, but as they are just over in Rancho Santa Margarita, California, and e-mail is instant, I am just being impatiant, It's that waiting thing.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

I got ripped-off when I bought an '88 Corvette owners manual, from an Ebay seller.

I complianed everywhere on earth, about 5 complaints in all [To Ebay, Paypal,Gov't Commissions], I go nuts when I get ripped off.

I finally got my money back--Here's how:
I paid thru Paypal, thru my credit card. That is; paypal bills your credit card instead of taking it directly from your bank account [they don't like that method, but its an option they reluctantly offer].

My credit card company researched the compliant and sided with me. They took the money from PayPal, and PayPal will have to deal with the Ebay seller [rip-off jerk] to get their money back.

Conclusion, pay thru Paypal, but use your credit card, not your bank account.

All my complaints fell on deaf ears, the CC company got my money back
Old 07-11-2004, 06:55 PM
406 vette
Instructor

Thanks Wayne, but I sent a Postal M/O. Screwed myself. I will do the Paypal thing the next time, if there is a next time. But like I said b4 I am still holding out hope they had something come up, and all will be well in our perfect world, (delusional uh.)
Old 07-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

What was the seller's feedback? Did you check it? I've been really succesful on eBay but only because I try to check the seller as best I can. You might want to list his seller name so others can avoid him too. Don't do this until you know for sure you got ripped off.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:50 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
I finally got my money back--Here's how:
I paid thru Paypal, thru my credit card. That is; paypal bills your credit card instead of taking it directly from your bank account [they don't like that method, but its an option they reluctantly offer].

Conclusion, pay thru Paypal, but use your credit card, not your bank account.
Yep - this is about the only way I'll eBay. Unfortunately, there is an option (on the seller's part) to *only* accept PP transactions drawn from a bank (i.e., reject CC payments). Usually, it's the sellers that have the shtuff I *really* want that have that option, too... Go figure. Up til now, I haven't been screwed (knock knock) on those transactions. In all other cases, though, the CC is the way to go.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:09 PM
91vetteman
Advanced

Originally Posted by 406 vette
I just need to say how happy I am with Corvette Forum and the good people I have had the pleasure of dealing with. On the other hand how wound-up I am about e-bay. The 23rd of June I sent off a Postal M/O for a bid I won on a couple of pieces I really need. The communication was daily untill after I sent the money. Now nothing, even after I have e-mailed three times. Oh well, I have been warned by forum members on other threads, but didn't listen. Wise words to others DON'T get burnt like I (think) I just did. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations. I am still hopefull and maybe something has happened beyond their control.
Dont feel bad, I won & paid for an 91 Manual from some A_s on Ebay he even had a good rating. The only problem was he just joined in June guess he made a few $ & ran. I won the manual June 20th & still nothing, he responded to me saying he had sun poisoning & the manual was in the mail. Needless to say its now July 11 & nothing yet.
I been emailing him & others but getting nowhere fast.
I did use Paypal with my CC so hopefully will get my $ back.
My CC company said they will investigate & proably will reimburse the loss of funds. This guy supposedly lives in Indiana, god I wish I could obtain his full address....
Old 07-12-2004, 12:41 AM
406 vette
Instructor

Default need to vent

91vetteman hope things work out for you to get your manual, we bid on these items because either we want them or need them. Then these jerks do this.
midnight 85, yes I think I would like everyone to know the names, but I will give them a few more days, just in case. I did check the feed back and they were at 98.something, I thought that was pretty good.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hey Bruce,whats goin on.What is it you need?E-mail me and ill see what I can find.My computer crashed big and my internet service got all screwed up and im just now getting everything fixed.Let me know what you need and I can most likely find it.Jeff
Old 07-12-2004, 02:29 AM
PsychoNumber1
Race Director

also... INSURE,INSURE,INSURE! Insure through paypal, insure through the PO, whatever it takes!
Old 07-12-2004, 05:46 PM
406 vette
Instructor

Default need to vent

Hey Jeff: good to hear from you, sent you an e-mail with the parts I won the bid on. Psycho, totally agree!!!!! next time.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:56 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
What was the seller's feedback? Did you check it? I've been really succesful on eBay but only because I try to check the seller as best I can. You might want to list his seller name so others can avoid him too. Don't do this until you know for sure you got ripped off.
looking at feedback sometimes does not work. One bidder purchased a small item from me and paid with cash. My transaction with him was fine. Weeks later I get a call from the US marshall asking for information on him. Apparently he was making small purchases, paying with cash just to elevate his Ebay feedback rating. He scammed someone for over 20 grand.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:18 AM
406 vette
Instructor

Everyone this is something I really hate to do, but I have been left with no alternitive. You all have asked for the name and address of the person on e-bay that as yet, has not sent me the parts I had the winning bid for on the 22nd of June. There has not been any replys to four e-mails, if fact no communication since the 23rd. I am an eternal optimist, so I hope the parts still arrive. But I would not recommend doing business with rachelmaradesign@hotmail.com Rachel is located in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA.
I might take my brother up on his offer though, he is a police officer up in Tempe, he said we need a road trip to the coast!!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:19 AM
GreyHawk
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always used PO Money Orders, except when I am close enough to pick it up in person. I also send it certified mail. Have you contacted the PO about it yet? I think it may fall under mail fraud.

I bought a 91 Taurus with 94K, for my son on e-bay. I picked up and drove home $350. All it needed some sensors, cat due to running rich, 2 brake drums, had new tires on the rear so I put 2 new ones on the front less than 1k total and the car runs/looks/drives great.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:13 AM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

check the persons FEEDBACK and amounts spent and type of items dealt with!!! If they have alot of sales and no negatives it's likely a shipping or other issue. I always investigate feedback and usually only buy from power sellers or people with hundreds of positives on sales not buys and no negs. A month does seem a bit long. .we feel your pain!

Last edited by skateparkdave; 07-23-2004 at 02:18 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to vent

Old 07-23-2004, 09:54 AM
tobijohn
Safety Car

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

FYI,
I don't know how many members are aware of them but there are escrow services that can be used to prevent this kind of thing from happening. I posted on this in C4 Parts For Sale/Wanted:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=868404
Old 07-23-2004, 01:05 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I hear ya 406 Vette; that sucks but there are people like that out there.

I too have been very careful on e-bay and use pay-pal with credit card.

Good luck with the situation.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:03 AM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks Wayne, but I sent a Postal M/O. Screwed myself. I will do the Paypal thing the next time, if there is a next time. But like I said b4 I am still holding out hope they had something come up, and all will be well in our perfect world, (delusional uh.)

Yeah: Makes you wonder about those sellers who state " sorry I don`t accept Pay Pal"

Quick Reply: Need to vent