C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Corvette Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Tvspi
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Corvette Owner

Hello everyone, I'm 66 years old and bought my first Corvette this past Friday. It is a black 1984 coupe with 83,000 miles. I believe I got a great deal ,however, time will tell. I paid $3000 for the car. The PO had the car for 28 years. The car runs and drives beautifully. The only problems I could find were an inoperative rear hatch defogger and no sound from the left channel of the Bose sound system. It has a good interior; needing only new door panel carpets and a general clean up. The car has 90% rubber and had a new exhaust system installed in December 2013. That's the good. Now the bad. About 25 years ago the PO opted for a color change (original color was white) when the clamshell hood needed replacement as a result of a tree limb falling on it(he had pictures). The paint on the front of the car is great because it was refinished over the factory coating that is applied to the SMP panels. However, the finish on the rear of the car is coming off in sheets. I believe this is because the finish was applied over the "known to fail" 1984 GM clear coat. The PO became terrified when he priced a new paint job as no local shop would even quote the job and the only shop that would is 100miles away in a large metro area. Hence the sale.I was the only one who looked at the car. The PO was very honest in his add! Now a couple of questions for the forum. First is this car worth a repaint? I'm a competent amateur painter so the only cost would be materials. Should I just enjoy the car as a bone stock, great running,albeit stylish "beater"? If a repaint is warranted should I repaint in the original color? Also, any suggestions on the repaint would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Last edited by Tvspi; 04-28-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: To add information
Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 PM
aussie_g
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if your like me, you will really enjoy the car & it will be worth the effort to paint it.

You said "I'm a competent amateur painter" so go for it. there are plenty of video's and tips on the internet regarding painting corvette's.

And believe me, If I thought I had any chance, I would paint mine. but im most definitely not a 'competent' painter.

Im a new corvette owner too, and my 88 needs a paint job.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Tvspi
Hello everyone, I'm 66 years old and bought my first Corvette this past Friday. It is a black 1984 coupe with 83,000 miles. I believe I got a great deal ,however, time will tell. I paid $3000 for the car. The PO had the car for 28 years. The car runs and drives beautifully. The only problems I could find were an inoperative rear hatch defogger and no sound from the left channel of the Bose sound system. It has a good interior; needing only new door panel carpets and a general clean up. The car has 90% rubber and had a new exhaust system installed in December 2013. That's the good. Now the bad. About 25 years ago the PO opted for a color change (original color was white) when the clamshell hood needed replacement as a result of a tree limb falling on it(he had pictures). The paint on the front of the car is great because it was refinished over the factory coating that is applied to the SMP panels. However, the finish on the rear of the car is coming off in sheets. I believe this is because the finish was applied over the "known to fail" 1984 GM clear coat. The PO became terrified when he priced a new paint job as no local shop would even quote the job and the only shop that would is 100miles away in a large metro area. Hence the sale.I was the only one who looked at the car. The PO was very honest in his add! Now a couple of questions for the forum. First is this car worth a repaint? I'm a competent amateur painter so the only cost would be materials. Should I just enjoy the car as a bone stock, great running,albeit stylish "beater"? If a repaint is warranted should I repaint in the original color? Also, any suggestions on the repaint would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
Congrats on the purchase! Once you begin driving and enjoying the car you will definitely want to paint it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:15 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new '84 Vette...

I certainly would repaint the car and in OEM color, especially if you like doing it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Tvspi
Cruising

Originally Posted by aussie_g
Well if your like me, you will really enjoy the car & it will be worth the effort to paint it.

You said "I'm a competent amateur painter" so go for it. there are plenty of video's and tips on the internet regarding painting corvette's.

And believe me, If I thought I had any chance, I would paint mine. but im most definitely not a 'competent' painter.

Im a new corvette owner too, and my 88 needs a paint job.
Hello Aussie, I just finished a repaint on my 1992 Mercedes Benz 400e that had failing clear coat albeit not as bad as the Corvette. I refinished it in the original code 199 black pearl metallic . I shot 3 coats of new color followed by 3 coats of clear and it looks "spectactular" (not my description; but several MB club members who have seen it since the reshoot)! My only hesitancy is that I will probably have an additional $1000 in material and wonder if a C4 is worth the investment. Thanks,

Last edited by Tvspi; 04-28-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

Congrats
Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

My only hesitancy is that I will probably have an additional $1000 in material and wonder if a C4 is worth the investment. Thanks,
It's really hard to find a car that isn't going to depreciate every year. Your '84 isn't going to depreciate, so you can easily rationalize that your new paint job is well worth the investment! The fun factor for the car will be multiplied by a huge number! Have fun, and enjoy your new '84!!

(ex-white '84)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Congrats and you're not too far from me.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:22 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Welcome and congrats, your never to old to enjoy a Corvette.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 AM
aussie_g
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Aussie, I just finished a repaint on my 1992 Mercedes Benz 400e that had failing clear coat albeit not as bad as the Corvette. I refinished it in the original code 199 black pearl metallic . I shot 3 coats of new color followed by 3 coats of clear and it looks "spectactular" (not my description; but several MB club members who have seen it since the reshoot)! My only hesitancy is that I will probably have an additional $1000 in material and wonder if a C4 is worth the investment. Thanks,
Based on the price you paid, and the condition in your description, I think you would be well under the value.
Even on the low end, a good condition 84 with low miles could see 5K or more.

I think you should drive it a little, either you will love it & then the paint will definitely be worth the effort, or you wont like it & you can sell the car.

If you keep it, you would be much happier if the paint was right.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Paint

I hear you on the paint jobs. I met a shop owner that does Vettes the other month, he said if I would drop my Vette off and they did everything, a complete paint job would be $13K roughly. Too much for my budget.

On a side note, I once knew someone that had the local tech school do some bodywork and paint on a car in years past in their auto class. He worked out a deal with them, he had to leave the car the whole school year, but they did an incredible job. The shop teacher oversaw everything and I was told certain panels were done more than once to insure it was perfect, about all he paid was for the materials and body panels. Now this was a metal body car so it is different and definitely discuss all aspects of your car if you decide to pursue this option. No guarantee they'll take it on but then again, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I don't know if I'd do it due to the nature of the fiberglass body but if done correctly it definitely could be an option. Maybe see if they have ever done a Vette and know the differences in the body panels and how to work them.

On a side note, if you repaint the same color, you may not have to tear it down quite as far because you won't necessarily have to redo the doorsills etc if they are still in good condition.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Welcome to the hobby!

I understand "a little" about the aspect of having a Vette painted - going through the final post-paint, re-assembly beginning today.

Before Brett (Blue Flame Restorations) lent his expertise and assistance, I'd shopped my Z around for painting estimates, and $8-10K (turn-key) is the "rate" 'round here, depending on if it was a color change or not. That would give one pause before restoring an 84 Vette that might go for $5-6K in good condition.

I'm NOT a competent amateur painter, but I've painted a couple cars - 20 years ago, and the feeling of personal satisfaction made it an enjoyable, worthwhile experience for me. So, for the cost of materials, and doing your own labor for the personal satisfaction...yeah, knock yourself out fer sher!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-29-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Oldballs65
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by aussie_g
Based on the price you paid, and the condition in your description, I think you would be well under the value.
Even on the low end, a good condition 84 with low miles could see 5K or more.

I think you should drive it a little, either you will love it & then the paint will definitely be worth the effort, or you wont like it & you can sell the car.

If you keep it, you would be much happier if the paint was right.
Totally! Enjoy yer car dude!

Congrats n welcome to the forum.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

First is this car worth a repaint? I'm a competent amateur painter so the only cost would be materials. Should I just enjoy the car as a bone stock, great running,albeit stylish "beater"? If a repaint is warranted should I repaint in the original color? Also, any suggestions on the repaint would be appreciated. Thanks to all.
I would if you know how to paint. Going back to the original color won't add any value to the car (unless there was something unique about the car), so I'd go with a color you like. But repainting it certainly will add some value to the car and like someone else said the car isn't going to depreciate much more at this point.

If anything I think 84's will appreciate in coming years, especially well maintain ones! It's the model year that kicked off the C4 and saved the Corvette in general from going into a production hiatus because of it's strong sales though most of the generation...so an 84 holds a special place for many of us C4 fans!

Welcome to the club!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Tvspi
Cruising

Originally Posted by bac22
I would if you know how to paint. Going back to the original color won't add any value to the car (unless there was something unique about the car), so I'd go with a color you like. But repainting it certainly will add some value to the car and like someone else said the car isn't going to depreciate much more at this point.

If anything I think 84's will appreciate in coming years, especially well maintain ones! It's the model year that kicked off the C4 and saved the Corvette in general from going into a production hiatus because of it's strong sales though most of the generation...so an 84 holds a special place for many of us C4 fans!

Welcome to the club!
Thanks everyone for the great input! The consensus seems to be "paint the car". That was my gut feeling; but I wanted the collective wisdom of the other C4 enthusiasts in the forum. The suggestion about the tech school is a great one! I just took advantage of that opportunity with the MB. In our community the CC tech school is free to anyone 65 years of age and older. I signed up and reshot the Benz. I got access to a nearly new facility, with a beautiful down draft paint booth with "baking " capabilities,a $700 Iwata HVLP spray gun,and all manner of body tools. The only material costs I incurred were for sealer, color,and clear paints. Of course, I supplied the labor. It was a bargain. If I shoot the Vette I will take advantage of the facility again. Now for another question. As for the car being special, I don't think it is;but for a slight variation I've uncovered in the VIN. The VIN checks out perfectly as a 1984 coupe,but, it contains the 07 code that was supposedly only in the 82 model "special editions". Also the car absolutely has a "silver" interior not gray or graphite ! The seat leather is "silver" as are the door panels and console cover the carpets are a "silvery" gray. Any thought from the experts? Thanks again to all!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you post a picture of it ?
Old 04-29-2014, 12:27 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

it contains the 07 code that was supposedly only in the 82 model "special editions".
The 82 was a C3, there were a few pre-production 83 C4's, otherwise not sure what you mean by the 07 code. If you want to know more about the car you have look up the RPO codes

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...4-rpo-faq.html

Get notified of new replies

To New Corvette Owner

Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM
mtnmanut
Racer

Welcome to the vet club; at that I have an 84, bought it 7 yrs ago as a good running ,interior and paint trashed for two grand. Since I do a lot of restorations and custom builds as my hobby taking the time to repaint,redo the interior,replacing all rubber,doing the mechanicals ,brakes, wheel bearings all body bushings ,I did this over a yr or so's time , when time allowed from other projects. Since everybody wastes money somewhere why not on a vet. Go on vacation for a week to ten days the moneys gone. Redo your vet and drive it forever. Better then sex and I guarantee it lasts longer. just my 2 cents Oh ya and I have 5 other hotrods in my shop that some folks think I have wasted money on. 32 ford,56 Studebaker GH, 72 nova,66 falcon, and a 66 ranchero. Talk about wasting money I am hopfully going to paint the ranchero tomorrow ,weather pending. It will never be worth what we have in it between interior complete , mechanicals, and paint , but if its enjoyed its worth it. again just my 1 cent,i'm broke now already spent the other 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
hdrydr1051
Intermediate

Bought my first vette in Jan of this year. Joined the forum shortly afterwards. Tell every one I couldn't afford a Hemi Cuda. It's an 85. I too have clear coat pealing on mine. Local auto body/paint shop who painted my new fiberglass top, acrylic top cracked 3 weeks after getting it, said 2k to paint body. I have since been working on replacing both door panels, weather stripping, MAF, brake master cylinder, complete tuneup, fluids etc. Car runs and drives great and the wife and I have been on some nice rides into Georgia in it. We live in Florida and have started going to the once a month cruise nights on the 4th Sat of each month here in Jacksonville. I am 62 and it brings back old memories of cruising in Calif where I grew up. Enjoying the car every time I get in it.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Tvspi
Cruising

Originally Posted by mtnmanut
Welcome to the vet club; at that I have an 84, bought it 7 yrs ago as a good running ,interior and paint trashed for two grand. Since I do a lot of restorations and custom builds as my hobby taking the time to repaint,redo the interior,replacing all rubber,doing the mechanicals ,brakes, wheel bearings all body bushings ,I did this over a yr or so's time , when time allowed from other projects. Since everybody wastes money somewhere why not on a vet. Go on vacation for a week to ten days the moneys gone. Redo your vet and drive it forever. Better then sex and I guarantee it lasts longer. just my 2 cents Oh ya and I have 5 other hotrods in my shop that some folks think I have wasted money on. 32 ford,56 Studebaker GH, 72 nova,66 falcon, and a 66 ranchero. Talk about wasting money I am hopfully going to paint the ranchero tomorrow ,weather pending. It will never be worth what we have in it between interior complete , mechanicals, and paint , but if its enjoyed its worth it. again just my 1 cent,i'm broke now already spent the other 2 cents.
Hello all, I checked the VIN with both the Illinois Secretary of States office and the local Chevy dealership. Checked out as a 1984 coupe. Another small anomaly I found in the VIN was it contains an AY instead of a YY designation. Numbers match on the title VIN sticker at the windshield and the VIN tag under the console door. All info I can find is that a silver interior was not available in 1984 but the interior is "silver" and there is no evidence that it was replaced or dyed. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks to all again.

Quick Reply: New Corvette Owner