Print Wikipost

87 Rear View Mirror Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM
nivensid
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 87 Rear View Mirror Alternative

Anyone replaced their rear view mirror with map lights from another GM model? My 87 mirror has faded to black in spots and difficult to find another one. Would one from a C5 work? I would think some fab work on the mounting bracket would be needed on which ever one is used?
I have seen the replacement glass online but it says it is for a Donnelly mirror. I looked on the back of my mirror and did not see that name so I am not sure the glass would fit? It is the factory mirror with the map light.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Yes, you'll need a different mount

See this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...h-compass.html

I'm not sure if VetteMed has more of these or not ...
Old 07-27-2013, 04:34 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I bought a map light mirror from a Chevy S10 pickup from a vendor on eBay. He said they're all the same and it would fit. He lied. The S10 has a "shoe" glued to the inside of the windshield that the mirror slides into. Corvette mirrors attach to the top windshield piece. The mounts are completely different. I made it work but it took a lot of filing, fitting and drilling a mounting hole.

Another problem is the wiring. Some mirrors are made to light up when you open the doors. Others light up when you turn on the courtesy lights with the headlight switch. The internal connections are different. In my case the map light can only be turned on if the ignition is turned on.

One more thing: connectors. In my case the S10 connector did not match with the connector in the harness. I soldered the wires into the harness to make it work.

All that said, I saw a post a few years ago where the person took the mirror to a glass shop. They were able to cut and grind a mirror to fit.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Here is a listing for a s/h mirror and below that a listing for just the glass, and another listing for a repair kit, not sure if it will fit the map light mirrors or how difficult it is to replace just the glass.
Hope it helps you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-Corvette-Rear-View-Mirror-/221258786216?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33840d25a8&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1987-C4-CORVETTE-INSIDE-REAR-VIEW-MIRROR-GLASS-/170704130645?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item27bec25255&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1996-C4-Rear-View-Mirror-Repair-Kit-Glass-Bezel-NEW-Corvette-/321162716976?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item4ac6ca2730&vxp=mtr
Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM
nivensid
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Here is a listing for a s/h mirror and below that a listing for just the glass, and another listing for a repair kit, not sure if it will fit the map light mirrors or how difficult it is to replace just the glass.
Hope it helps you

C4 Corvette Rear View Mirror | eBay

1984 1987 C4 Corvette Inside Rear View Mirror Glass | eBay

1986 1996 C4 Rear View Mirror Repair Kit Glass Bezel New Corvette | eBay
Thanks man but that mirror looks as bad as the one I have now. The repair kit is what I talked about in my opening post. Not sure it will fit, my mirror does not have the Donnelly name on it as the kit explains.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:24 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by nivensid
Thanks man but that mirror looks as bad as the one I have now. The repair kit is what I talked about in my opening post. Not sure it will fit, my mirror does not have the Donnelly name on it as the kit explains.
Yeah i had a look at my mirror with the map lights, it is a two piece so most likely the tabs on the bezel will get damaged removing the bezel and glass hence the repair kit with a bezel.
It should be the right one for your vette.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 Rear View Mirror Alternative

Quick Reply: 87 Rear View Mirror Alternative