Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 AFTERMARKET: What support do you want?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 PM
0RPP_Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 AFTERMARKET: What support do you want?

As a few of you know, I spent the last couple years designing a fixed position projector headlight system for the C4. You can see pictures on the forum at:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...-shipping.html
or at our website at:
www.riceperformanceproducts.com

I am currently working on a couple designs for the C5 Corvette and looking into DOT certification for HID in the C4 design. I am now on my fourth C4 and the aftermarket support for the car is not what I would like. I am working on a spoiler for my ZR1 and a few other parts, but I would also like to know what everyone else would like and what a reasonable price would be. To set the groundwork, I do not price like a large corporation because I do not have the overhead and I take a unique approach to product development.

Here are some of the projects I am considering for the C4:
-Carbon dash panels for analog gauges
-Carbon trim pieces
-Carbon Dash pad with satin finish
-Carbon door panels
-Carbon Door Sills
-Redesigned mirrors with three optional extentions
-Carbon Lip Spoiler
-Redesigned fog lights
-Door handles
-Lexan rear window with standard attachments
-DOT LED tail lights
-DOT LED side lights
-Redesigned Carbon Racing Seats
-Battery Relocator kit
-Carbon roof panel (maybe with quick release)

I would like some feedback on what everyone would like and price ranges. We all live in the real world so please be realistic about price expectations. So far I have been able to beat the Corvette premium by about 50 percent, but Mustang prices are not realistic for Corvette sales volume.

And a picture from the last project:
Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

my vote, redesigned fogs/turn signals, to complement those
Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM
jonboy194
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lip spoiler would be awesome..
Old 10-06-2012, 05:09 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

better (faster) ECM's for the early cars to accomodate tuning much easier (if this is possible).

carbon fiber interior parts sound nice, but also sound expensive; having said that, these cars could use better interiors than the factory gave them. I guess that is one of the things that kept Corvette prices down from Ferrari's/Lambergini's
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A fixed stubby antenna for my 90 like the C5's have so I can ditch my power POS!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Willymo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForceOne!
A fixed stubby antenna for my 90 like the C5's have so I can ditch my power POS!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM
0RPP_Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
better (faster) ECM's for the early cars to accomodate tuning much easier (if this is possible).

carbon fiber interior parts sound nice, but also sound expensive; having said that, these cars could use better interiors than the factory gave them. I guess that is one of the things that kept Corvette prices down from Ferrari's/Lambergini's
The ECM idea is interesting. How many want something like this and at what price. There are several ECMs available but I understand that nothing is plug and play. I could probably develop such a product and I was working toward this for my 90 ZR1 eventually.

As far as carbon parts being expensive, maybe. I get really good prices on carbon and can be more competitive than you might think. They won't beat mustang and civic prices, but I refuse to use vinylester. Epoxy and good clear coat is the only way to go in my opinion.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
VeryUnoriginal
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPP_Corvette
-Redesigned mirrors with three optional extentions
-DOT LED tail lights
-DOT LED side lights
-Carbon roof panel (maybe with quick release)
I like those ideas! If you can beat the price of other LED tail lights (the ones that I'm looking at are priced at about $250, even though I think they're ugly http://www.corvettemods.com/1991-199...ts_p_5967.html) and make them look good, not just 3 rows of 5-7 LED's the taillight, we might just have a deal! I like the looks of smoked tail lights, but I still want to make sure people can still clearly see my brake lights, so I want to convert them to LED's before I smoke them. But the bad thing, is that all the C4 LED Taillights are ugly. I have not yet seen one that looks good to me.

I'm REALLY interested in the quick release targa roof. Ever since I cut my hair (19" gone), I can use my targa top now without having to deal with putting my hair back and wearing a hat. I can enjoy it now, but the screws are becoming a pain. The previous owner must have used it a lot, because the screws are very worn! It's also great that people recognize me as a guy again, it gets annoying to have to listen to people apologizing constantly for mistaking you for the opposite gender!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

LED tails that have the "halo" capability would be the way to go - different from what other vendors offer and a more modern look. $200 or so?

I'd certainly be up for some LED side markers that are at least as bright as stock. $75 for a set?

A complete plug-n-play HID backup light kit would be cool. $75-$100?

I'd like to see a GOOD x-brace replacement. PM me if you like and I can share my ideas with you on what I have in mind. $250 or so?

How about a set of roller bearings that are press-in replacements for the rear suspension bushings? It would be much more cost-effective than the Banski kit (no offense to them). $250 or so?

A realistically priced improved rear toe rod kit. $175 or so?

For "improved" fogs, I'd like to see an option to replace the fogs with pencil beam driving lights for the range improvement. $150 range?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:06 PM
JDooley
3rd Gear

The ability to tune the ECM for a little more hp would be great!
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 AM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

I'd vote for the carbon top!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 AM
0RPP_Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mcm95403
For "improved" fogs, I'd like to see an option to replace the fogs with pencil beam driving lights for the range improvement. $150 range?
Any type of projectors will likely cost $100 for just the projectors since there are only 2. LED is an option, but it will mean expensive molds and independent DOT testing. Fog lights aren't meant for increasing nighttime visibility. Good headlights will do the job. Still, I put it on my consideration list.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

*Quick release top
*Stubby Antenna
*Battery Relocator kit

Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by AirForceOne!
Better yet one that you can unscrew the antenna from they had those back in the 80s during the bug/minitruck craze. Least they wont rip your quarter panel up trying to break it off if it isnt there.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:05 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Carbonfiber rear defuser, CF interior trim would be nice, CF fender flares with export extentions, CF fuel rail covers, CF fan shrowd, CF ASR cover, CF expansion tank, CF coolant fill tank, cheaper CF hood (<1,000)..... That's all I got now get to work
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

carbon lip spoiler and a lexan hatch would be nice ..
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
0RPP_Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by red L98
carbon lip spoiler and a lexan hatch would be nice ..
Here is what I am working on for my car. It is a 90 ZR1. The spoiler still needs a few days worth of smoothing and some paint before I make a mold. I am planning to make a 2 part mold with a center seam to bond two carbon sections together. That will enable adding mounting points for bolting the wing on. I tried to stay low profile so the entire surface is only 7in long.

For those that want new C4 or any relevant parts, email
rppcorvette2@gmail.com . We are creating a product demand list to decide what to create and to notify customers with updates.
Name:  C4_corvette_spoiler_project_e.jpg
Views: 8529
Size:  52.7 KB

Get notified of new replies

To C4 AFTERMARKET: What support do you want?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

say it aint so, grasshopper, not to a ZR1
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I believe more than a few companies tried to make quick release hinges for the targa top. They take A LOT of abuse and torque, so they'd need to be super strong. But if you can build it, even if it's a bit pricey, I bet you'll sell the crap out of them. I'd like to see a bolt in battery relocation kit to go underneath the passenger side rear of the car. Even if it requires an optima or solid cell battery. Just make it easier to get to as I hate taking that side panel off.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Speaker grilles and windshield wiper arms.

Quick Reply: C4 AFTERMARKET: What support do you want?