C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

SunVisors

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 09:25 AM
robsball
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SunVisors

Ok we've all had the sunvisor replacement cost shock. After giving it some serious thought I have decided to re-cover mine. They are in really bad shape.

It just so happens that I know a lil sumtin sumtin about sewing and do own a sewing machine. I like the finished look of the thread edging vs. using clamps and adhesive. I could probably hand stitch them as well.

So here's my question. I'm would ask if anyone has tips to please post what they may be. Anything at all. Also, what type of material for inner or outer seems to work best.

My self imposed project may be a failure but I owe it to myself to try. When I start this I'll make sure I do before, during and after pictures to post, cost of materials, my time spent.

Thanks in advanced.
Robin
Old 05-13-2011, 09:39 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I think I found a place that sells them cheap for around $35. If I can find it I'll post it later. Generally the cardboard inside goes causing the outside fabric to go, although, sometimes the sun rots them.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:51 AM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

How often do you actually use them? I removed mine, and being a tall guy, was great for improving visibility. Must always keep sunglasses though! I was just thinking if you want to fix them because they look nasty and you don't want to look at them anymore, it's easy to just take them off. Maybe wait for a nice set to come up on ebay?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM
robsball
Advanced

Originally Posted by zr1fred
I think I found a place that sells them cheap for around $35. If I can find it I'll post it later. Generally the cardboard inside goes causing the outside fabric to go, although, sometimes the sun rots them.

That would be great, Thank you - then I could use the time I had planned on recovering them to gaze at my baby some more.

Originally Posted by ninetyfivevette
How often do you actually use them? I removed mine, and being a tall guy, was great for improving visibility. Must always keep sunglasses though! I was just thinking if you want to fix them because they look nasty and you don't want to look at them anymore, it's easy to just take them off. Maybe wait for a nice set to come up on ebay?
I don't use them much, and I had thougnt about your suggestions already, but they are really nasty looking, and being the **** creature that I am(IT Professional) they need to stay on the car but need to be repaired.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Stickrz
Intermediate

Default sun visor recovering

Robin,

If you go the self repair route, maybe the following will help:

I use an old Pfaff with metal gears, #14 needle, and "E" thread (upholstery grade, nylon), usually available at any JoAnn's Fabric. The machine will walk thru most anything (I used mine for repairing parachute harnesses, and never had a jumper fall out of their rig). Any machine that has a good steady feed and plenty of pressure on the presser foot.

I also belong to the El Camino Forum, and remember a thread where someone recovered their own, finishing up with sewing the edges down. Basically it's just a matter of patience: slit the old visor along it's outside seam; (carefully) separate the cloth from the interior cardboard; use the old cloth as a template. A few temporary hand stitches here and there (and/or pins) will help to keep everything back in place while you place a neat machine stitch around the outside. But it sounds like you have some experience, so the above might be pretty elementary to you.

[fwiw; I hate cardboard in cars; a handy substitute are those thin semi-stiff plastic 3-ring dividers, you can cut them with a decent knife or heavy scissors, drill holes for fasteners, and a #14 needle can s-l-o-w-l-y punch thru it, yada yada]

best of luck, post some before-during-after pix.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I did mine. It really wasn't that difficult, but hand stitching is hard on the fingers. Linky
Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Corvette central has them for $119.00 for the pair. It will probably be the cheapest replacement part you will need for your Corvette.In case you have not noticed these cars are expensive to own.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 PM
robsball
Advanced

Originally Posted by ps374
Corvette central has them for $119.00 for the pair. It will probably be the cheapest replacement part you will need for your Corvette.In case you have not noticed these cars are expensive to own.

Naw ps374 your wrong about the replacement parts. Purchased more than several so far, and the sunvisors were still the most expensive for what they are. Thanks for the heads up though.

I don't mind paying a price if its worth it, but some fabric and cardboard? I don't think so, especially when I think I have the skill and patience to make them right.

Obviously its a conspiracy theory of some sort.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:56 PM
RVH1994
Intermediate

Default Sunvisors

Robin, Glad You have the talent to do some sewing! Im frankly a lazy retired 59 yr. old. O/O truck driver!! As I have sent several "private" messages to You - as You are learning Vette Parts "cost a lot" ! Hey again mabie see You in the Fredericksburg area soon---Best,Ralph(RVH1994) P.S.-YOUR RIDE LOOKS NNIICCEE!!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

If I had the skill I would start a business rebuilding just the visors. It could be a profitable hobby.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 PM
robsball
Advanced

Originally Posted by pkazsr
If I had the skill I would start a business rebuilding just the visors. It could be a profitable hobby.

You know pkazsr I'd thought about that because really the cost is just flipping crazy. I knew going into buying it things would be expensive and for most part I can understand and I'm ok with it. But if I can do it and it looks good, I would certainly offer my services at a reduced cost that would be affordable for those who feel like I do.

I went to the fabric store and found a black head liner about 3 x 8 ft for under 4 bucks.

I'll know more after I get them off the car and start the project. I looked at the removal of it today and I'm going to need some instructions for SunVisor Removal for Dummies.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:07 PM
LT4 F45
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetyfivevette
I did it too! Looks cleaner with top off and i was not using them anyway...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 AM
95fxdwg
Intermediate

Default Sunvisors

Any local trim shop will recover them in the correct material for about $25.00 each , much easier than doing it yourself and wasting time and money , you can pull in and let them remove them and while they repair them your still driving your car .When done they will reinstall in about 15 minutes and your on your way with a professional job and little expense . can't find anyone to do them ? I will for 20.00 each plus shipping !

Get notified of new replies

To SunVisors

Quick Reply: SunVisors