C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Considering first Corvette/1984/Advise please

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 AM
RED UFO
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering first Corvette/1984/Advise please

I currently restore 70-83 Datsun Z cars as a hobby. I am in Michigan and I am equipped to do this 12 months a year in my garage. I would like to start a project on a domestic car. My wife saw the following car while on a walk and told me about it. Yes my wife told me about it even thought I have one project in the works and one waiting in the wings. I had to pinch myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming.

A neighbor around the corner is selling an 84 coupe. He recently lowered the price to $5500. It looks a bit rough. The red paint is faded and there is a little cracking where the quarter panel meets the roof pillar. The rear tires are worn bald. The interior looks pretty good. I don't know the mileage yet but I assume it is high. I have a call in to talk to him but no response yet.

What is the value of this car if I want it as a project or would would be a good offer to make? Is it worthy as a project car or should I wait until something better comes along? As with my Z cars I am not in it for the money, I am in it for the joy of rebuilding it an making it mine.

If I continue to consider this car is there anything I should be looking for which would eliminate it as a project car.

Thank You,

Al
Old 09-02-2007, 08:20 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

First find out if its a Z51 car. Those numbers should be on the storage tray behind the back seat. If it its, be prepared for a harsh ride , but be also prepared to drive a car that will out handle any Z car you ever put together or rode in.The crossfire is not as fast as the 85 TPI car and is in the 15 second range depending how well its been kept, probably still faster than most Zcars you put together. However the 84 has been know for its problems being the first year of the new body style. Expect digital cluster repair (you really cant do this stuff yourself unless you great with electronics) along with suspension rebuilding if mileage is high. Z51 parts are NOT cheap if you want to keep it original.Electrical problems are also known to be troublesome to some high mileage cars. Paint is expensive as you probably know unless you have the skill and place to do it yourself.Tires are no problem with the 84 and can be purchased for as low as $109.00 each if you can mount them yourself. Driving a Corvette is nothing like driving a Datsun (Nissan). Its a whole different feel and a whole different car which IMO no Nissan can compare to.Its expensive however so if your looking for and investment that will make you money or hoping to brake even someday you in the wrong market. You should be able to get the price down if paint is as bad as you said and mileage is past 100K.High mileage unrestored 84s should be about $1000.00 less than the asking price of the owner.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 AM
RED UFO
Pro

Thanks for the advise.

I do my own paint. I am pretty well equipped. The only thing I haven't done is rebuild an engine. I lack that experience. I am a learn as you go guy. My thinking is, if I pay some one to do it, I might as well buy the tools and directions to do it myself and then do it as often as I want.

As I mentioned I am not into this for the money just the joy of building cars. As much fun as I have had playing with these Z cars (cheap to do) I would like to restore a domestic car so I can go to the Woodward Dream Cruise some day without worrying about getting an egg tossed at me, LOL.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 AM
pnsher17
Racer

Some pics of this car would help me to answear your questions. Also do you plan to restore the car to original condition or do your own thing?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:29 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Not trying to flame 84's, but the facts of the market place are, that's a $2000 - $3000 car. You will most likely not be able to recoup your time and materials. If that doesn't matter, fine, enjoy! (been known to do that myself) You may want to look for a newer model, 88-92's in that condition are in that price range. The old joke is, that if it rides like s****, it's probably a Z51.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by just wondering
I currently restore 70-83 Datsun Z cars as a hobby. I am in Michigan and I am equipped to do this 12 months a year in my garage. I would like to start a project on a domestic car. My wife saw the following car while on a walk and told me about it. Yes my wife told me about it even thought I have one project in the works and one waiting in the wings. I had to pinch myself to be sure I wasn't dreaming.

A neighbor around the corner is selling an 84 coupe. He recently lowered the price to $5500. It looks a bit rough. The red paint is faded and there is a little cracking where the quarter panel meets the roof pillar. The rear tires are worn bald. The interior looks pretty good. I don't know the mileage yet but I assume it is high. I have a call in to talk to him but no response yet.

What is the value of this car if I want it as a project or would would be a good offer to make? Is it worthy as a project car or should I wait until something better comes along? As with my Z cars I am not in it for the money, I am in it for the joy of rebuilding it an making it mine.

If I continue to consider this car is there anything I should be looking for which would eliminate it as a project car.

Thank You,

Al
I'm no expert and I have no pictures to gauge the condition of the car but if you say it's a bit rough and you're not a Corvette guy then I have to assume a Corvette guy would call it very rough. The reason I say this is because we already know what parts and bodywork cost on a Corvette so I would have to say a good running C4 that needs cosmetics, paint and slight body work should hang out in the $3k to $4k range.

Just because you're knowledgeable enough to do the work yourself doesn't mean you should pass that deal over to the seller. If you're gonna do the work yourself YOU should reap the rewards in your own pocket. Personally I'm not a fan of the '84 but a lot of people on this forum love theirs and enjoy them.

Good luck, I hope that helped

When you finally decide to purchase a Vette remember to wave
Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 AM
RED UFO
Pro

I will get pics if I get more serious about it. All of this advise has been very good and I will listen. I was also thinking if he gets closer to $3000 it will more interesting. I think you are right when you say, in the eyes of a Corvette guy it looks like a parts car.

I would guess it won't be sold very soon, not at the current price unless the buyer is wearing a blindfold. I will sit and wait.

All of your advise has been very helpful.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:00 AM
blackbear bob
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Al,
I am in a similar situation. I am a professional mechanic/shop owner.
I like the car hobby for what it is, a hobby. I repair cars every day, but still find some enjoyment in fixing my own. I can appreciate almost any car. For the longest time(since puberty maybe) the Porsche 911 has been my passion, particularly the early long wheelbase cars(69-73). In 1999 I bought one and did it up. It has been a fun ride. Early this summer, I bought a 1984 z-51 car in Fla. and drove it back to Maine.
Over the summer I redid some essentials, brakes, exhaust, interior, etc.
I must say this car is more enjoyable than my 911, love the v8 rumble. It is a very addictive song and something an import can not sing LOL.
If the passion is there, by the car and enjoy it for what it is. Yes the Z51 ride is stiff, but this aint no dam Caddy.
Bob
Old 09-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Louvers
Burning Brakes

I know that you are doing this for fun ... but just to see how a restoration investment would stack up on a car like the one that you are considering here's some information that you may or may not find useful:

Corvette prices based on CPI (Cars of Particular Interest) Black Book values.

Below are prices you might reasonably expect to pay for Corvettes in #2 condition; that is, restored correctly though not to a national concours level, and ready to be enjoyed.

Series: C4
Body Type: Coupe
Yr. Made: 84
# built: 51,547
Price Ranges: $6,700 - $10,600

This doesn't give you a lot of room to work with from a resell standpoint. I would say that if you go for it, pay as little as possble for it (of course) and really scrutinize the mechanics the most or you could end up with one serious $$$$ pit.

Last edited by Louvers; 09-02-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would drive several of them to get a feel for each. C4s each have a different personality depending on year and options (and how well its been taken care of). GM made improvements on the C4 every year and power went up in 85 with the introduction of the L98 engine, then again in 92 with the introduction of the LT1. Don't be afraid to check cars.com, autotrader.com, even ebay to get an idea of whats out there. Typically you will find a better deal if you look around a bit. If you're going to put work into it and make it your own, you'll want to start out with the best car you can find to start with. If it is a Z51, find out whether the suspension is still original. Most have been softened over the years. An original Z51 makes the car more valuable because the 84 Z51 has been considered by many to be the best handling C4 ever made. Use the search function, there has been a lot of threads on what to look for when buying a C4. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:17 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Not trying to flame 84's, but the facts of the market place are, that's a $2000 - $3000 car. You will most likely not be able to recoup your time and materials. If that doesn't matter, fine, enjoy! (been known to do that myself) You may want to look for a newer model, 88-92's in that condition are in that price range. The old joke is, that if it rides like s****, it's probably a Z51.
If you can find any 84 that is all together and runs for $2000 you should grab it up. Parts alone will net you a profit. Try purschasing a crossfire air cleaner and see what the going price is.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:42 PM
vettowner1994
Instructor

1984 has the lowest power of the C4's, roughest ride and refinements made over the years in the C4's are non existent. If thats all you can afford its still a Vett though. They are still a good time compared to a Z car. Good ol american v8 power and sound and good handleing too.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by zr1fred
$5500 for a rough 84 is way too high.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:55 PM
daddue11
Racer

Being an owner of an 84 I can tell to look seriously at the interior since you say that the exterior is in need of some tlc,I say this because I have found out that other than high performance mods the Interior is the single most expensive restore project that you will do,used parts are very very hard to find and realy expensive and the new ones are almost as hard to find and cost ungodly prices.If the interior is Really good like almost mint condition and the motor and tranny are good I would say CONSIDER it a possibillity,If not Forget it,the man is making a killing at that price.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

The 82 and 84 Crossfire cars are quirky from the intake on up, but there are a few good places to answer your questions about them and how to work/fix and make them perform well.
http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/
http://www.thirdgen.org/

Since you paint your own, you should know how much work/time is involved with that process along with the money, you be the judge on adding that to the price of the car. $5,500 isn't too far off depending on the rest of the cars condition.

The interior package can be exspensive so do your homework on the total car. The digital dash can have issues as stated above, but nothing that can't be fixed. The Z51 option is the best for handling, not long distance cruising.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:30 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

There is an 89 in the for sale section that might be just want you want! 6spd, $3500, in Michigan. Easy fix hood>
Old 09-02-2007, 05:55 PM
RED UFO
Pro

Blackbear Bob has me pegged.

Again, all great advise. You have given me a lot to think about.

After all this helpful advise you have given me I am going make my next project a Vette if not this one it will be another one. I was considering a Mustang but after seeing how helpful the members of this board can be I can see a Corvette in my future.

I will try to find the 89 in the classifieds.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering first Corvette/1984/Advise please

Old 09-02-2007, 06:10 PM
ARMAN72
Racer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1775552

there is the 89 for sale!
Old 09-02-2007, 06:19 PM
RED UFO
Pro

Thanks

I just found it. At least the guy is honest. You know what you are getting.

I have never done fiberglass repair. Is it difficult? The engine problem he is describing, is it common? If it were a head gasket I could fix that.

The interior looks rough. The 84 I am looking at has a better interior and except for the faded paint the body is in better shape.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:45 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Any 6speed is a rare car. Head gasket problems are very common on alluminum head cars. The fiberglass repair is very easy. If you can do bondo, that is. (always makes for a good thread ) I'm not trying to sell the car for him, but when you are done, the car will be a lot faster, and worth alot more. Now the car may in fact be a POS, but it is a good indication of what fix up cars are going for. JMO

Quick Reply: Considering first Corvette/1984/Advise please