Notices
C3s for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used C3 Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:24 PM
MauiVacation
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking to buy

Hello everyone. Thought I would make my first post here about the fact that I'm in the market for my first C3. Exactly what I'm looking for is more along the lines of I'll know it when I see it. However I will let you know what I want is a C3 that needs nothing. All I will have to do for many years (hopefully) is routine maintenance. I prefer a car that is as original as possible and in excellent condition. My first choice is a convertible second would be t-tops. I lean towards the 70-73 c3's those however may be out of my price range with the quality I'm looking for. Again I have no problem with later models if it makes my heart flutter. I've seen a few on Ebay I've thought about but in the end I would rather buy from someone who has both the time and patience to work with me as this is a learning experience for me. my budget is in the 15k-20k range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Maui
Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW Maui is located in Kentucky.

Welcome to the forum. The more time you spend here learning about these cars before you buy, the LESS you'll wish you would of known after you buy.

I bought my second Corvette about 6 months ago. Even after learning that lesson the first time my second purchase was still a good healthy dose of impulse! And for all those things you wish you would of known, you're pocket book and time can make up for

But that's half the fun of owning one of these beaut's. Good luck.

BTW I have a '72 numbers matching for sale in Mississippi if you're ever down this way.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:46 AM
MauiVacation
Intermediate

Thanks Nomar, Yes I am in Ky Northern part actually about 10 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio if that helps anyone.
Saw on your profile your a Naval Aviator Happy memorial day too you. I have been a member of the USAF for just over 21 years currently I'm a Reservist out of Wright Patterson AFB in ohio. In fact I'm on my way to Europe later this week for my annual tour.
Anyhow that is part of why I decided to become a member here on the forums, hopefully I can make a few friends and perhaps some of them will be willing to help me find that c3 without making any major mistakes along the way. I really don't want this to go badly in anyway I'm hoping this can be a one time thing buy it, enjoy it on nice days with the wife, then leave it to my sons someday. Again thanks for the welcome.
Maui
Old 05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MauiVacation
Thanks Nomar, Yes I am in Ky Northern part actually about 10 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio if that helps anyone.
Saw on your profile your a Naval Aviator Happy memorial day too you. I have been a member of the USAF for just over 21 years currently I'm a Reservist out of Wright Patterson AFB in ohio. In fact I'm on my way to Europe later this week for my annual tour.
Anyhow that is part of why I decided to become a member here on the forums, hopefully I can make a few friends and perhaps some of them will be willing to help me find that c3 without making any major mistakes along the way. I really don't want this to go badly in anyway I'm hoping this can be a one time thing buy it, enjoy it on nice days with the wife, then leave it to my sons someday. Again thanks for the welcome.
Maui
Take a look at my 70 listed here on the forum. Specs & pics.
Glenn
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...l-my-70-a.html
Old 05-31-2010, 04:13 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by MauiVacation
Hello everyone. Thought I would make my first post here about the fact that I'm in the market for my first C3. Exactly what I'm looking for is more along the lines of I'll know it when I see it. However I will let you know what I want is a C3 that needs nothing. All I will have to do for many years (hopefully) is routine maintenance. I prefer a car that is as original as possible and in excellent condition. My first choice is a convertible second would be t-tops. I lean towards the 70-73 c3's those however may be out of my price range with the quality I'm looking for. Again I have no problem with later models if it makes my heart flutter. I've seen a few on Ebay I've thought about but in the end I would rather buy from someone who has both the time and patience to work with me as this is a learning experience for me. my budget is in the 15k-20k range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Maui

Have you driven any of these cars? You should, before you start handing over money. If you were to drive a coupe and end up liking it over a convertible, you could narrow your focus quite a bit and get a lot more car for your money. You need this information when shopping.

Also, I would offer that if your budget is $15-20k and you are looking for a car that essentially "needs nothing," convertibles in this range should be few and far between. You may find a 73-75 that someone is trying to bail on, but look closely.

If I were you, I'd try to get a better handle on what you really want.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
10caipirinhas
Pro

I'm with Vettebuyer.......a budget of $15K-20K for a 40 year old car that "needs nothing and can be driven for years with just routine maintenance" is a little like saying......."I am just going to walk down to AMARC, pull the shrink wrap off one of the remaining B-52D's and fly it around the world without stopping"........

I am back in the market again for a C3 myself, but with a budget of $15-20K all I'd expect is a rust free frame and birdcage with below average to average cosmetics, in the wrong color, and a functioning but NOM engine/tranny, upon which I'd potentially, and be willing, to spend another $20-30K to make it right.

You can do what you desire with either a 1974-77 or a 78-82 model year car.........but even then, you'll still have to be really careful with your selection.

Don't buy a thing until you've got 100+ hours of researching and reading posts here, especially every single one under the heading of frame rust, birdcage rust and or frame/birdcage repair........use the search function.

Last edited by 10caipirinhas; 06-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
MauiVacation
Intermediate

Thanks Vettbuyer for the advice I have not explained fully what I'm looking for, not really specific... will know it when I see it. But I appreciate your sentiment.

10 Not really with you I have seen a few in the year I've been looking taking my time and learning. Granted most have been of the 78-82 year but I've found a few much earlier that I'm confident would not be much trouble for the long term. Thanks anyway for your advice.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Nomar116
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 10caipirinhas
I'm with Vettebuyer.......a budget of $15K-20K for a 40 year old car that "needs nothing and can be driven for years with just routine maintenance" is a little like saying......."I am just going to walk down to AMARC, pull the shrink wrap off one of the remaining B-52D's and fly it around the world without stopping"........

I am back in the market again for a C3 myself, but with a budget of $15-20K all I'd expect is a rust free frame and birdcage with below average to average cosmetics, in the wrong color, and a functioning but NOM engine/tranny, upon which I'd potentially, and be willing, to spend another $20-30K to make it right.

You'll can do what you desire with either a 1974-77 or a 78-82 model year car.........but even then, you'll still have to be really careful with your selection.

Don't buy a thing until you've got 100+ hours of researching and reading posts here, especially every single one under the heading of frame rust, birdcage rust and or frame/birdcage repair........use the search function.
Sounds like my car, ha.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Hey Maui!

Welcome to the forum :

I'm not far from you, down in Verona. I don't know if you've looked at many C3's, you're welcome to look at my '68 and see if it's the kind of car you want. I don't have it for sale (although the wife has commented on how much she likes the new Grand Sport Coupes )

Bud
Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 PM
MauiVacation
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Poppa Bud
Hey Maui!

Welcome to the forum :

I'm not far from you, down in Verona. I don't know if you've looked at many C3's, you're welcome to look at my '68 and see if it's the kind of car you want. I don't have it for sale (although the wife has commented on how much she likes the new Grand Sport Coupes )

Bud
Yes that would be fantastic! I'm closer than you think to you (Independence). I will be out of the country for a few weeks after friday but I will Private message you when I get back with my name and phone #. I really appreciate it. See ya soon.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I think for $20K you could find a '76-'80 car that essentially "needs nothing", They didn't make convertibles in those years, so we'd be talking about a coupe, and no chrome bumpers. A car like that probably wouldn't need a lot of repair, especially relative to her older sisters, but wanting to go years "only doing regular maintenance" is a challenge with new cars in my experience, much less something thirty plus years old.

A '73-'75 convertible in decent condition could be had at that price, especially if you are OK with NOM. I doubt I could find one that "needs nothing" at that price though, even in this down market.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:17 PM
smonska
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have something close to what you want, it's a 74' and not a 73', but it has new paint, motor/trans, interior, a bunch of other new/rebuilt stuff like windshield, power steering setup, etc. Pretty much a frame-on resto. I'm asking 16,900, and you won't be buying someone else's money pit :-) . Check out my post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...ean-frame.html
Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 PM
vettemike1
Intermediate

For your interest
F/S: 1977 Corvette--26k miles--$16,000 (Gulfport, MS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1977 Corvette, L-48, 4 speed manual transmission with dark blue (28) exterior and blue leather (272) interior. Options include: AM/FM Stereo, A/C, pwr windows, tilt column, luggage rack, aluminum wheels and sport mirrors. Matching numbers, original components, excellent body and mechanically sound also have original tires/rally rims (not on vehicle). Four owners/some documentation, clear title $16,000 OBO (228) 328-0072 or email contact: vettemike1977@aol.com (photos on Craigslist)

http://gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/1690875282.html
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I was looking for basically the same thing, and wound up with a non-original-color but otherwise numbers-matching '71 base 350/auto t-top that would have been at the bottom of your price-range.

It has needed what I would consider minor work (suspension wear items: ball-joint, leaf-spring bushing, etc), which have been single-afternoon jobs for me, but that's basically what you're going to get in the price-range you're talking about.

If you truly want a car that is genuinely care-free, then you're looking at a frame-off restoration where all components have been refurbished and replaced. That is going to cost you the $30k for the small-block version, or lead you to the '74-'79 models in your price-range.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:04 PM
ohfiver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

On the high side take a look at the C-3s at West Cost Corvette, after viewing you will get a better idea how cars in the hight dollar field look like! From there down the C-3s in your price range would most likely be in the 74-78 range with your requirements. Best of luck and keep us posted on what you come up with.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 AM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I may have what you need...

The car is true documented 38k miles, and has been a California show car all its life, garaged and covered. The car is not only spotless but is rust free inside and out. Mechanically it is All original, All Numbers matching, Never needed any repairs or service outside of normal preventative maintenance and drives like brand new right off the showroom floor. It has a Custom Show Quality Black paint job that is now over 20 years old and looks amazing! The car is driven only on the weekends and never has seen rain or snow. Reliable and strong for a daily driver or weekend cruiser!

Willing to share with you all I have learned over my 10 years experience, anyone who likes Corvettes and serves our country is good by me!

GLWS (good luck with search) and PM me with any questions or for more pictures.

Happy Easter!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM
boltnut
Drifting

i found my 73 convertible that has a numbers matching drivetrain the really "needs nothing" for well under 20k. its a driver car and is in great shape. keep looking, youll find one.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
aocm77
Instructor

Default Maui

Check out my 78 S/A GREAT shape for a GREAT price. Asking $12,200. Have pic's on the fourm and any details I can provide let me know.

AOCM77

Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 PM
MauiVacation
Intermediate

Thanks Beautiful car. I will PM you to get more details.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie looking to buy

Quick Reply: Newbie looking to buy