C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone able to wire Battery Tender quick disconnect to side post battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvette999
On side post batteries, I've found that in order to get the most out of the threaded connections on the battery... I run this in until it bottoms out...3/8" course thread stainless Allen cap bolt.

But...prior to that, I thread on a stainless 3/8" hex nut and run it up against the back of cap head.

Then, I install the leads for tender and battery cable over the Allen cap bolt, thread it into battery connection till snug, then while holding Allen wrench I tighten the hex nut against the terminals. This gives you maximum thread engagement, gives you ability to add several eyelets for additional connections, on the non-corrosive stainless cap bolt and hex nut. Make sense?
I like this idea!
Old 02-04-2020, 10:17 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvette999
On side post batteries, I've found that in order to get the most out of the threaded connections on the battery... I run this in until it bottoms out...3/8" course thread stainless Allen cap bolt.

But...prior to that, I thread on a stainless 3/8" hex nut and run it up against the back of cap head.

Then, I install the leads for tender and battery cable over the Allen cap bolt, thread it into battery connection till snug, then while holding Allen wrench I tighten the hex nut against the terminals. This gives you maximum thread engagement, gives you ability to add several eyelets for additional connections, on the non-corrosive stainless cap bolt and hex nut. Make sense?

visit fastener supply such as Fastenal or interweb, get a couple Studs with a slot for screwdriver or an internal hex for allen key, I did something similar and used a Nyloc nut ... put it all together with dielectric grease, maybe the tender rings will slide over the stud.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:58 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 528 Likes on 357 Posts

Or get an Optima dual post battery. The main positive goes to the side post. All the accessories go to the top post. I have a battery disconnect hooked up to the negative and the bolt on that is long enough for the ground cable and all accessories that have a dedicated ground (EFI computer, fuel pump controller, fuel pump).

Old 02-05-2020, 02:16 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 964 Likes on 598 Posts

I used these ones, similar to ones mentioned in page 1.

work great for extra leads

Old 02-07-2020, 07:02 AM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rebel542
You can connect it to the large lug on the alternator.
That's what I did; I open the hood to plug it in during the Summer, and in the winter when the car is under a cover, I run the cord through the driver's-side front wheelwell.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Answering a 3 yr old topic again.

Quick Reply: anyone able to wire Battery Tender quick disconnect to side post battery?