C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porting heads and intakes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 AM
cappy781
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting heads and intakes.

High guys i am new here i have two cars. One is a 1983 trans am 383 stroker tko500 and dana 44 f.body rear end. Back on black i built this myself. The second car is under construction its a 1978 vette 350 stock and 4speed. I have been building hot rods my whole life i am a autobody man/painter by trade. I have 20 years in the business. I am 37 years old. I also port old iron and love the old intakes. I have a low hood on booth cars so i just finished porting my old edelbrock torker1 intake. The old x plane style. I have a torker two i can port up as well for the vette when i start the topend build. How do i add pics on here so i can show you my work?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...irections.html
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

In your reply box (which is what were typing in now) look at the icons
Youll see a smiley face then a paperclip. click on that and it will pull up pics from your harddrive.Click browse, it will pull your pics up. Click on the desired ones then hit upload. Go below the reply box and hit submit

Also a compulsive porter. TPI, LSx BBC you name it. Crazy obsession
Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Old intakes are not functional performance items. They were only larger runners without any thought about being a tuned length decreasing diameter port. The short plenums cause fuel separation. They were garbage.

People port matching small runners to larger heads have actually ruined the intake manifold.

Even Victor jr intakes were a poor excuse. You had to send them away to get flow bench ported and tested. Mine came back with air directors called turtles epoxyed in the bottom of the plenum
Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

id like to get back into it but probably on aluminum heads, i think i can still taste the iron grindings . i used to take stuff pretty far when i was 19 i put my first set of tubes in a set of small block heads. i had some really good teachers back then, and learned a lot.i agree in a lot of cases you will accomplish little with an intake manifold, but not every case.
i used to do certain parts like break up the top of the intake runner into sections then duplicate the same part on the rest of the ports to help keep it consistent. anything you can do to keep consistency will help.
i once had a big block chrysler head cut into sections so i could see where i could grind , my Dad was a licensed Mechanical Engineer ask me what i was attempting to do and then asked what about core shift? well that was another lesson. most of my stuff worked pretty well but stop leak was my friend, but i came to find out that wasn't unusual back then. good luck with you projects.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 PM
cappy781
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see the paperclip for the pics hmm. I want to post pics of my projects and things.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:22 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by cappy781
I dont see the paperclip for the pics hmm. I want to post pics of my projects and things.
create a photobucket account. copy to photo bucket and save to a library or album. Then open up the picture you want to post. In the photobucket right pane click on the img box It will flaash up copied. Then just paste it into the CF post.

Get notified of new replies

To porting heads and intakes.

Quick Reply: porting heads and intakes.