C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 gas tank removal question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 75 gas tank removal question

My bladder has collapsed I can only hold 11 gallons.
I purchased another 75 tank with bladder in tact from another forum member (for a great price) and will be swapping soon. I have searched the posts and dont see anything about dropping the tail pipes, only the spare. Idealy, I would like to get the tank out without dropping the pipes. I am hoping I can slip it sideways enough to get it down and out.
Last August I had a 2.5'' custom system made and it is welded thruout. Mufflers welded to the pipes and to the hangers. I would have to cut the tailpipes to get them out of the way, then have welded back on when tank installed.
Can the tank be removed without moving the pipes

Also...this new old tank has been in dry storage removed from the car for the last 15 years and is clean and complete. Should I remove the bladder before installing. .. ..or, if I cant drop the tank without messin with the pipes should I just remove the bladder from my original tank. If this is the case I will be putting this new old tank for sale for cheap.
any advise will be much appreciated.
btw I am hoping to get the build sheet
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You can loosen them at all the hangers and the manifold and let them hang, that's usually enough depending on how they were bent around the tranny.
My favorite is to just cut them behind the tranny crossmember with a sawzall and use these ss sleeves, pipes just butt together. There will be other times when you will want to drop the exhaust, front or back.

Your call on removing the bladder, I do. If so, save and cut into strips for the tank supports. You have to drop the tank either way. To make it easier, just cut the old hoses and replace with new.
The built sheet should be on top of the tank shroud, but it's a good time to remove it and clean and paint the area.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

so the answer is no the tank cant be dropped without moving the pipes out of the way. rats...
so you think I should remove the bladder as well on the replacement. I aggree. I would hate to go thru all this only to have the same thing happen again down the road. The clamps are a good idea. I will still have to have the rear hangers rewelded. what do these ss clamps run?$12-15 each? I know the guys at the shop would reweld em up for nc
Old 11-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just so you know, the bladder is there for your protection in the event of a collision involving the gas tank. The bladder's job is to help prevent fuel spillage and potential fire in the event of an accident. These (the bladder making them a fuel cell) are safer than normal gas tanks. I believe it was a Federal mandate that these be installed in certain Vettes.
A little more on the subject:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...upgrade-2.html

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 11-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, the bladder should be kept & you can expect at least the mufflers will have to be removed to drop the tank.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

thanks Jud, that was great info with pics. Really lets see what I'm getting into.
ya know that was the main reason I bought the tank that had a good bladder in it. I know they put the bladder in there for safety reasons and it was a gov mandate. I remember all those Pinto's bursting into flames in rearend collisions in the 70's. I do want to keep the bladder. I will use the new old tank.
Ganey, I will try just removing the mufflers and see how it lines up, still going to have to cut them though, might as well just make 1 cut each for each pipe to give me the room required.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:02 PM
noonie
Race Director

Originally Posted by ctroadster
so the answer is no the tank cant be dropped without moving the pipes out of the way. rats...
so you think I should remove the bladder as well on the replacement. I aggree. I would hate to go thru all this only to have the same thing happen again down the road. The clamps are a good idea. I will still have to have the rear hangers rewelded. what do these ss clamps run?$12-15 each? I know the guys at the shop would reweld em up for nc
I don't know why anyone would weld the hangers to to the car, They can just be bolted.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
myk7
Pro

I pulled the tank in my 75 vert not too long ago. I only had to remove one muffler.. pulled it from the slip joint at the cross member.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

Originally Posted by noonie
I don't know why anyone would weld the hangers to to the car, They can just be bolted.
yea they welded em to the hangers, it was like that when I picked up the car...too late at that point. It wasnt discussed or even thought about by me. I suppose I could unbolt the stock hangers from the frame but looks like a tight fit to get a wrench up there
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

Originally Posted by myk7
I pulled the tank in my 75 vert not too long ago. I only had to remove one muffler.. pulled it from the slip joint at the cross member.
good point, I will try this method first. did you have the car up on jack stands or a lift?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM
myk7
Pro

Jack stands. I did it by myself, but another set of arms would have been much better.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You can loosen them at all the hangers and the manifold and let them hang, that's usually enough depending on how they were bent around the tranny.
My favorite is to just cut them behind the tranny crossmember with a sawzall and use these ss sleeves, pipes just butt together. There will be other times when you will want to drop the exhaust, front or back.

Your call on removing the bladder, I do. If so, save and cut into strips for the tank supports. You have to drop the tank either way. To make it easier, just cut the old hoses and replace with new.
The built sheet should be on top of the tank shroud, but it's a good time to remove it and clean and paint the area.

da dumb question about these splicers--does it require re welding the pipe or just tightenng the bolts? I have my gas tank free except it is hanging up on the mufflers. I loosend the left side muffler hanger and nut/bolts behind tranny crossmember(?) but still need to drop about four to five more inches in order to remove tank. The only visible solution is to cut the pipe to remove muffler.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 PM
myk7
Pro

Those band clamps are bolt on, no welding. It's really a shame you have a one piece exhaust pipe. I'd cut it in front of the cross member, so that the bracket on the crossmember supports the exhaust pipe instead of the band clamp holding it.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:01 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by myk7
Those band clamps are bolt on, no welding. It's really a shame you have a one piece exhaust pipe. I'd cut it in front of the cross member, so that the bracket on the crossmember supports the exhaust pipe instead of the band clamp holding it.
Thanks--that was my next question where to cut the pipe. Yep, is it one long pipe. I'll order those clamps.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM
myk7
Pro

You might be able to get a coupler. I've seen them at autozone, they might leak a little if not welded, but all the band clamps I've used leak a little too.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:07 PM
noonie
Race Director

I always cut them just to the rear pf the tranny xmember. Plenty of room there. Mark the pipe on each side of the cut to keep the orientation.
When needed, you drop each side or both completely and for reinstalling you loosely hang the pipe with the two hangers at the muffler and attach the clamp last.

To prevent any leaks, wrap the joint a couple times with 2oz fiberglass mat under the clamp and then tighten. They won't leak this way. Do not install with the bitumen goop that comes with them.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 PM
bhk2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I always cut them just to the rear pf the tranny xmember. Plenty of room there. Mark the pipe on each side of the cut to keep the orientation.
When needed, you drop each side or both completely and for reinstalling you loosely hang the pipe with the two hangers at the muffler and attach the clamp last.

To prevent any leaks, wrap the joint a couple times with 2oz fiberglass mat under the clamp and then tighten. They won't leak this way. Do not install with the bitumen goop that comes with them.
very clear instructions, thanks!
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

I havent started this project yet but I will get it going after the holidaze...there is just been too much going on. I can see that the mufflers will have to come down to remove the tank. The orientation marks for cutting the pipes are a good tip thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 10:45 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ctroadster
My bladder has collapsed I can only hold 11 gallons.
It must take you a looooong time to pee! I'd bet my bladder woudn't even hold a quart!!!

I know, absolutely zero constructive info here on this post, but, c'mon, how was I supposed to resist that? I can't believe nobody made that joke before I did!

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To 75 gas tank removal question

Quick Reply: 75 gas tank removal question