C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new master cylinder and have a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
theesir
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new master cylinder and have a question

My 69 does not have power brakes. Is there anything I need to do special to remove the master cylinder, besides drain it as well as I can first?
A website I was at said to disconnect the master cylinder linkage from the brake pedal under the dash. I'm not sure I understand that and have not seen it mentioned anywhere else.

Before I begin, can anyone offer some guidance?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

No need to go under the dash. Remove the 2 tubes at the M/C then the 2 mounting nuts and out it comes. If you bench bleed the new M/C before install, you MAY not need to system bleed at all. At a minimum, the system bleed will go much easier with the M/C pre-bled.

Gary

Bench bleed setup.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM
theesir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duke94
No need to go under the dash. Remove the 2 tubes at the M/C then the 2 mounting nuts and out it comes. If you bench bleed the new M/C before install, you MAY not need to system bleed at all. At a minimum, the system bleed will go much easier with the M/C pre-bled.

Gary

Bench bleed setup.

Gary, what am I pushing with the screwdriver. I don't feel anything in there that has any piston-like play. Does there need to be fluid inside first for me to feel anything?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by theesir
Gary, what am I pushing with the screwdriver. I don't feel anything in there that has any piston-like play. Does there need to be fluid inside first for me to feel anything?
You are pushing on the piston. Check this thread (link below) out as it has some more pics of the inside of a M/C. It will move without fluid, if you push hard enough with the screw driver.

Gary

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-cylinder.html
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
theesir
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duke94
You are pushing on the piston. Check this thread (link below) out as it has some more pics of the inside of a M/C. It will move without fluid, if you push hard enough with the screw driver.

Gary

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-cylinder.html

Thanks, I was worried about pushing too hard

Get notified of new replies

To Installing new master cylinder and have a question

Quick Reply: Installing new master cylinder and have a question