C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding a Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:27 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rebuilding a Master Cylinder

My master cylinder is leaking on my 73. I have a chrome MC and would like to keep it. I see that Zip Products has a MC rebuild kit for $27. Are they reletively easy to rebuild or is this a futile operation?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

They are very easy to rebuild. If you've never done it, we can walk you through it. I have one on the bench and can take pics if you need them.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:41 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agee, I did mine last year and had no problems. I bought a kit from NAPA.

Bill
Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke94
They are very easy to rebuild. If you've never done it, we can walk you through it. I have one on the bench and can take pics if you need them.

But if there are any pits inside you might want to consider sending it out and and have a SS sleeve put in.If it came from Stainless Steel brakes it might have already been done.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Any help would be much appreciated. Pics would be great! I'm not a mech yet fairly handy. Any special tools required? I was going to look in my Haynes manual tonight, but I'm usually disappointed with the instructions in that book. I think I'm getting a 1973 Shop Manual for Christmas from Santa?
Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2006, 10:53 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Originally Posted by TopGunn
I agee, I did mine last year and had no problems. I bought a kit from NAPA.

Bill
How much was the kit from NAPA?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c3andc5
How much was the kit from NAPA?
$29.99
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...r+Cylinder+Kit
Old 12-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DWncchs

But if there are any pits inside you might want to consider sending it out and and have a SS sleeve put in.If it came from Stainless Steel brakes it might have already been done.
If it's not SS sleeved it may leak after the rebuild.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

for what it costs to sleeve one I think you could buy a new one.....maybe even two new ones.
...redvetracr
Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
for what it costs to sleeve one I think you could buy a new one.....maybe even two new ones.
...redvetracr
His is chrome.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Default M/C rebuild lots of pic.

Here ya go.

This is the M/C that is being rebuilt.

Clamp the MC in a vice and push the piston in slightly to releive the force on the snap ring. Use a small screw driver and pry out the ring. Note that some MC may have a Tru-Arc ring which will require Tru-Arc pliers (hardware store item).

Remove the 1st piston and discard, there will be a complete new piston assembly in the rebuild kit.

Turn the MC on end and rap it on a piece of wood to get the 2nd piston out.

Here is all the parts you removed. Note the direction of the lip seals.

You will get new seals for the 2nd piston with the kit but most likely not the piston itself. Remove the spring, retainer and seal. Replace with new parts from the kit. NOTE, depending on the type MC, there may be a thin washer between the seal and the piston flange. There will be 6-8 holes drilled radially around the piston flange and the washer covers them up.

Remove the two seals on the other end of the 2nd piston and replace with those from the kit using clean brake fluid as a lubricant. Pay attention to the direction of the seals on the piston.

Reverse the sequence to reassemble. Liberally lube the pistons and bore with clean brake fluid during assembly.

BE SURE TO BENCH BLEED THE M/C BEFORE INSTALLATION. This will greatly improve the system bleed. Use a couple short pieces of tubing (copper shown here) and connect one end to the M/C ports and the other end into the reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fresh brake fluid. The tubes MUST be submerged in the brake fluid. Slowly push and release the piston until air no longer comes out of the tubes. Remove the tubes and install the cap.

Also as others have suggested, check the condition of the bores. If there is any pitting due to corrosion, you'll need to buy a new MC. I'm sure others will chine in if I missed anything.

Good luck.

Last edited by Duke94; 01-27-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added more info
The following users liked this post:
vrazumihin (02-13-2022)
Old 12-23-2006, 05:35 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Here ya go.
Clamp the MC in a vice and push the piston in slightly to releive the force on the snap ring. Use a small screw driver and pry out the ring. Note that some MC may have a Tru-Arc ring which will require Tru-Arc pliers (hardware store item).

Remove the 1st piston and discard, there will be a complete new piston assembly in the rebuild kit.

Turn the MC on end and rap it on a piece of wood to get the 2nd piston out.

Here is all the parts you removed. Note the direction of the lip seals.

You will get new seals for the 2nd piston with the kit but most likely not the piston itself. Remove the spring, retainer and seal. Replace with new parts from the kit. NOTE, depending on the type MC, there may be a thin washer between the seal and the piston flange. There will be 6-8 holes drilled radially around the piston flange and the washer covers them up.

Remove the two seals on the other end of the 2nd piston and replace with those from the kit using clean brake fluid as a lubricant. Pay attention to the direction of the seals on the piston.

Reverse the sequence to reassemble. Liberally lube the pistons and bore with clean brake fluid during assembly.

Also as others have suggested, check the condition of the bores. If there is any pitting due to corrosion, you'll need to buy a new MC. I'm sure others will chine in if I missed anything.

Good luck.
Thanks Duke94. Those are perfect instructions. I'll get my girlfriend working on that right away. We'll see what the condition of the bores are when I get it apart. Hope I can keep this MC.
Merry Christmas!
Chris
Old 05-06-2021, 11:12 PM
Skootter14
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

sorry for the revive but @Duke94 would be able to either 1) reload the pictures you posted since they are showing up as "Sorry, this image is currently unavailable" (I have no idea why some pics do that on this forum, it seems like after a certain period of time elapses since upload, the forum whites out the pic and puts that message???) or 2) send them over to my build thread page: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Whichever would be easiest for you! Thank you in advance. I am currently searching how to re install the plungers/springs back in the cylinder (a friend disassembled it for inspection and cleaning/painting and I did not see the order of the parts as he pulled them out)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:16 AM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 146 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

Photobucket probably removed those pictures 15 years ago when this thread was valid. Try starting a new thread....
Old 05-07-2021, 07:02 PM
Skootter14
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-CYa
Photobucket probably removed those pictures 15 years ago when this thread was valid. Try starting a new thread....
Thanks. another member came through on my build thread and sent a pic of the MC with pistons. I should be good to go!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:10 PM
Turn4811
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been following this and another master cylinder rebuild thread. Thanks for the info.

My MC looked a lot like the OP's with one exception. My bore is pitted. I also have the booster that looks like brake fluid has leaked into it. I am in the process of pulling it. I am going the rebuild route through Rock Auto.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Skootter14
sorry for the revive but @Duke94 would be able to either 1) reload the pictures you posted since they are showing up as "Sorry, this image is currently unavailable" (I have no idea why some pics do that on this forum, it seems like after a certain period of time elapses since upload, the forum whites out the pic and puts that message???) or 2) send them over to my build thread page: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-thread.html

Whichever would be easiest for you! Thank you in advance. I am currently searching how to re install the plungers/springs back in the cylinder (a friend disassembled it for inspection and cleaning/painting and I did not see the order of the parts as he pulled them out)
When you respond to threads from 15 years ago, you get posts without pictures. Try starting a new thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding a Master Cylinder

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a Master Cylinder