C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!! I CANT SEE! HEADLIGHT GURUS IN HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! I CANT SEE! HEADLIGHT GURUS IN HERE!

A couple times ive driven at night. i have the original power beam headlights and halogen high beams and wow they aren't very bright at all. the reading im doing i get mixed results and i read a lot about aircraft lights. i don't want to have to rewire the headlight switch of have to add anything so guys what stock headlight can i get that will be brighter but not overload the switch?

note-- check these out. i like the idea of the euro style housing with the brighter bulb. maybe not the halo rings but the other. and opinions? i just want to be safe at night not stylish.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476
Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't go for those if I were you.
Leave those to the ricers.
Dug something up for you, pricey but good.
Good reading also:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html
Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...4&dept_id=1118

I've never had a problem seeing with the originals in mine.
Are yours just older and more of an orange color?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 PM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

yeah they appear to be pretty dim now. im just worried bout hitting someone walking or a deer or something.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I'd go with the OEM replacement bulbs first.
The older the bulbs get. The duller they become.
See if a fresh set helps.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:42 PM
BHRIG
Racer

I went to all halogen years ago and have had NO problems with wiring or headlight switch .The result is a much brighter and whiter beam.
When adjusted properly, on coming drivers are not blinded by your lights.
It is an inexpensive improvement with will help your nightime vision.
GOOD LUCK
Old 07-26-2009, 11:21 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

If you dont have good grounds to the headlights they will be dim. If the power to the headlights is low the lights can be dim.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 AM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Putting hotter bulbs in at this point will result in marginally brighter, yet still dim hot bulbs.

As DWncchs mentions, you need good supply current to the lights. Primarliy, two problems exist:
- 30+ year old wiring can have problems with dry cracking insulation, high resistance around connections, and corrosion.
- The headlight supply current is run through the dash wiring and the headlight switch. This is not the best design.

Here's a little about how I'm solving the same problem:
I bought 10 30A Bosch style relays on Ebay, a pack of inline fuses, and some 16Guage primary wire. I will be rewiring the new wiring harness using the circuit drawing below. Note all the wiring modifications can be done under the hood, you wont need to change anything in the dash.

I know people recommend 70A relays. Instead, I will by supplying each headlight with its own relay and inline fuse.

I'm also replacing the sealed beams with these economical alternatives from Styling Trucks
Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 AM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic replacement bulbs for headlight and fogs

www.hoen-usa.com

Last edited by greengo; 07-27-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get your self some Sylvania Halogen H5006XVs and you'll be fine 10 bucks at any auto parts store.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

When considering upgrading your lights, one of the most important aspects is the quality of the headlight lens which has probably more of an effect than the bulb wattage. Short of a quality lens, made of lead crystal lens, HID conversion bulbs would be the best (and they draw less amperage than halogens and run much cooler, but require some wiring. I have run Euro Hella halogens since the early 80's for all four headlights but don't drive much at night so I have stuck with them and they are terrific! I run 55/60 watt low beam halogen bulbs and 100 watt high beam bulbs with a relay for the high beams to reduce the amperage to the switch. Bear in mind that you can just replace the low beams and run sealed halogens for the high beams (OEM type headlight). When I converted mine 25 years ago, I originally could only run the 2 Hella low beams and one 55 watt high beam with one sealed beam since the headlight circuit breaker on my 78 would trip with all four hella hallogens with the 2 hella 55 watt highs. In the early 90's I added the high beam relay and replaced the lone sealed beam with a hella halogen and converted both high beam bulbs to 100 watts. Zero problems since then. Hope that this helps!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
Get your self some Sylvania Halogen H5006XVs and you'll be fine 10 bucks at any auto parts store.

that was originally my thought. but didnt want to risk burning out the head switch or needing any rewiring or additional hardware.

so 4 halogens of the correct part number should work fine then?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1nicecorvette
that was originally my thought. but didnt want to risk burning out the head switch or needing any rewiring or additional hardware.

so 4 halogens of the correct part number should work fine then?
That's what I'm running, no real increase in current, their just better lights. those are the low beams, the highs are the same type but a slightly different part #. Really makes a big difference. 5 min swap. Suggest some electrical grease (avail in the goops isle) on the contacts before install. actually a small bead at the connector inputs is better.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
paragonspirit
Advanced

Originally Posted by RunningMan373
That's what I'm running, no real increase in current, their just better lights. those are the low beams, the highs are the same type but a slightly different part #. Really makes a big difference. 5 min swap. Suggest some electrical grease (avail in the goops isle) on the contacts before install. actually a small bead at the connector inputs is better.
I run these as well (well, mixed since one parts store only had one and the other only had one)...no problems where there aren't wiring issues as well. If you replace yours with 4 of these and still have dim lights, then there are also wiring issues. Better to spend $40 and find out that the problem is the wiring and not the bulbs than to spend a bunch and find out it is the wiring. If you think you may want the more expensive options listed above, spend $20 and get one high and one low, put in each of the correct spots. If they are bright then the wiring is fine.

Para
Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That conversion Rob posted is the best low buck way to go and is a requirement for any real upgrade to the headlights. It is just 2 relays, sockets and a bit of wire, altogether about $20. It has the added benefit of protecting your existing harness and switch from high current lights. Cheap and easy, a very good mod
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

I did the headlight installation you found on Ebay and I LOVE them! That wacky blue color is an optional Halo that you can wire in separately. The actual headlights function normally and they are awesome! When I turn on the brights, it is literally instant daylight. I know there are more expensive options out there, but really, I can't see how you could possibly need anything more than this.

The Halo is completely independent of the headlight operation. You don't even need to use them if you don't want. I rarely use mine. The headlights themselves are a crisp, pure white color.

This is a write up I did. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...em-lights.html

The separate, very simple Halo circuit

The also simple High/Low beam circuit.

Last edited by guitarcrazy02; 07-27-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To help!! I CANT SEE! HEADLIGHT GURUS IN HERE!

Quick Reply: help!! I CANT SEE! HEADLIGHT GURUS IN HERE!