C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chassis stiffening on c3 'vert

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Default chassis stiffening on c3 'vert

Hi guys, my vette is turning into a pro tourer, anyone used any aftermarket braces or any tips on where to stiffen up the chassis on my '71 vert, i've got the front strut brace (havent installed it yet), also interested in rollcages, anyone got one in a 'vert? does it help much, i'm guessing you cant get the hood up once its in place, or can you? would an unboltable one be any use, it has been known to rain in England! thanks. Aaron
Old 01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ge-photos.html
Old 01-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

If you do not want a roll bar or cage I put in a Shark Bar on my vert. It really stiffened up the body. I use to have all kinds of shakes and rattles before the bar. Now it is very tight. Also gave me a place for my 5 point harness. http://www.vetteworksonline.com/6873...ness%20bar.htm

You can get it with or without hoops.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard of an install is that shark bar? How much cutting, any welding, etc?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by KevinK
How hard of an install is that shark bar? How much cutting, any welding, etc?
Pretty simple. It bolts in with no welding. Just some minor carpet trimming and I had to trim the trim pieces slightly.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I know how much difference the spreader bar made in my car. Just reading Gordons review of the sharkbar makes me want to get one for my vette.

So many good ideas on this forum. Once you think you have almost reached a finishing point, you still find there are several things you might like to add. Thanks for the pic Gordon.

One question Gordon, would the bar interfere with my seat belts. I have the camaro belts coming through the opening in the trim.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
One question Gordon, would the bar interfere with my seat belts. I have the camaro belts coming through the opening in the trim.
Yes they do interfere. You cannot run the Camaro belts on the Verts due to the bar mounts to the shoulder harness bolt hole. That Heim jointed bar running at a 45 through the trim piece bolts to the shoulder mount hole. That is why I run the 5 point harness. My son wants the Camaro belts back in. He says they are more comfortable. I have to agree and much easier to use but the 5 point really holds you firm in the seat. I can barely roll up the window or reach around the steering wheel to turn the car off when I am snugged down by the 5 point. Just the way I want it. You don't move an inch on the autoX or the strip.

Last edited by Gordonm; 01-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Crud! Not exactly what I was wanting to hear. I wonder if the rear mount with the heim could be modified to move heim over toward the fender. You could move the heim on the other side of the mount on the sharkbar, toward the outside of the car. Cut the tab off and move the tab on the bracket toward the outside of the car, toward the fender also. This may give more room for the camaro seat belts. I hope this makes sense.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:32 AM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Crud! Not exactly what I was wanting to hear. I wonder if the rear mount with the heim could be modified to move heim over toward the fender. You could move the heim on the other side of the mount on the sharkbar, toward the outside of the car. Cut the tab off and move the tab on the bracket toward the outside of the car, toward the fender also. This may give more room for the camaro seat belts. I hope this makes sense.
In my opinion the main advantage to this sharkbar setup is it allows you to run the 5pt harness at its best mounting points for saftety. A side benefit is it stiffens the body slightly...body not frame. The bar mounts to the birdcage, so you're stiffening the birdcage, the birdcage is mounted to the frame via the bodymounts, so you still have whatever flex between the birdcage and the frame that the body mounts allow. If you're running rubber body mounts then the extra stiffness that you may gain from the sharkbar is not worth it in my opinion b/c only a fraction of that improvement will actually get transfered to the frame past those body mounts. In my opinion you're better off spending the $$ on a strut tower brace (ties your front a-arms together), larger sway bars or if you need a significant improvement in frame stiffness go to a real rollbar/rollcage that is directly mounted to the frame.
If you're still cookoo over the sharkbar then it doesn't matter much where you mount that rear support strut with the heim joint b/c that is there to prevent any forward movement of the sharkbar if in the event your 5pt harness is put into use and pulls that bar forward. It may slightly help against a twisting motion in the body but the rear support struts are only mounted to the fiberglass body so there isn't much strength there in a mounting surface, its there to prevent pulling force. Since you won't be using the sharkbar for a harness you won't be pulling the bar anywhere so the rear support bar isn't really needed, or you can mount it whatever way you want, just know that if you are to use the sharkbar to mount a 5pt harness in the future that you do mount that rear support strut securely and at the best angle that doesn't jeapoardize the functionality of the sharkbars stability under significant pull forces forward.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
...In my opinion you're better off spending the $$ on a strut tower brace (ties your front a-arms together), larger sway bars or if you need a significant improvement in frame stiffness go to a real rollbar/rollcage that is directly mounted to the frame...
Agree that a true roll bar, or partial or full cage system which mounts to the frame would be the best way to go. And, if you're somewhat serious, I'd strongly consider at least a 6-point of chrome moly w/removable side bars (something I'm planning for my SA). It appears highly desirable for the main roll hoop to tie in ahead of the kick-up, especially with only a 3 or 4-point roll bar.

Spreader bar is a no-brainer worth adding to any C3, where possible. Additionally, I'd make sure the body mounts are solid and install solid engine mounts. Further, IMHO some extra bracing in the floor plane of the chassis is a good idea.

FWIW, it should be noted that going larger on "sway" bars, while increasing anti-roll stiffness, does not stiffen the chassis itself.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 01-22-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

mine is a Vert and I have a cage. The cage is designed so that the soft top opens and closed perfectly and the cage is NHRA legal and certified to 8.50

Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

5 point really holds you firm in the seat. I can barely roll up the window or reach around the steering wheel to turn the car off when I am snugged down by the 5 point. Just the way I want it. You don't move an inch on the autoX or the strip.
As a Good friend and Pro Stock driver told me "Buckle in as if you plan to crash"
Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks guys, loads of great info, i think i'm leaning towards a 6 point cage with removable bars, i've just ordered a TKO 600RR and ali prop so the cage will have to wait a while!
p.s- the day i ordered the box i heard a news report that said the pound had fallen to its lowest level against the doller for 25 years! Dooooh!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:05 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
As a Good friend and Pro Stock driver told me "Buckle in as if you plan to crash"
That's a keeper. Another similar piece of advice, "If you've got a $10 head put it in a $10 helmet." Evel Knievel
Old 01-26-2009, 02:23 AM
jordan126
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharkbar 1980

does anyone have a pic of the sharkbar installed in a 80-82 vett? i am ordering it today for my 80 project car as a birthday present to myself,i am wondering if it can be installed first,or if it is a better idea to ahve 82 c.e rear pop up window installed first?it is a 1980 and the hinges on the top of the glass have to be mounted to the car,i am not sure if on the 82 c.e this was riveted in?i also have to have something made to mount the window struts,where windoe struts mount to the car it looks liks it is in same location as sharkbar,speeddirect lists the sharkbar for 78-80-81-82
Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jordan126
does anyone have a pic of the sharkbar installed in a 80-82 vett? i am ordering it today for my 80 project car as a birthday present to myself,i am wondering if it can be installed first,or if it is a better idea to ahve 82 c.e rear pop up window installed first?it is a 1980 and the hinges on the top of the glass have to be mounted to the car,i am not sure if on the 82 c.e this was riveted in?i also have to have something made to mount the window struts,where windoe struts mount to the car it looks liks it is in same location as sharkbar,speeddirect lists the sharkbar for 78-80-81-82
The Sharkbar Series 2 is a removable bar.
Dan
Vetteworks
253-223-4968

Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

This four point roll bar from Autopower really helped to stiffen my chassis, but its's welded in, not bolt in. I had them custom make a shorter version for me so that it could fit in the C3 behind the seats. I think the one in the catologue is for C2s.
Bee Jay
Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
This four point roll bar from Autopower really helped to stiffen my chassis, but its's welded in, not bolt in. I had them custom make a shorter version for me so that it could fit in the C3 behind the seats. I think the one in the catologue is for C2s.
Bee Jay
What was the cost? Did it cost extra due to it being custom?

And how much was it to install, in your neck of the woods?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

Autopower did not charge me extra to make a lower bar. I think I paid a welder friend of mine $100, but that was 15 years ago.
Bee Jay

Get notified of new replies

To chassis stiffening on c3 'vert

Quick Reply: chassis stiffening on c3 'vert