C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about changing dash instrument lights to LED. Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 09:49 PM
Fishinnut
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Thinking about changing dash instrument lights to LED. Problems?

I am thinking about installing LED lights in place of my factory bulbs for my instruments on my 69. The LEDs are brighter but was wondering if the dimmer works on LEDs. One guy said his didn't but was not sure if his switch was bad. I remember looking at LEDs for house lights and there was a special dimmer switch for LEDs.

Does your dimmer switch dim your LED instrument lights ?

Last edited by Fishinnut; 12-23-2023 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:40 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

Most LEDs won’t dim with our old car headlight / dimmer switches. I installed LEDs about three years ago and they are terrific. No heat and I love the very bright white light they give off. I used the non-polarized LEDs from Superbright. They have a very good converter where you enter the year, make, and model, then a few LED choices are offered. Be sure and get the color LEDs for the brake, red, high beam, blue, and green for the turn signals.
The following users liked this post:
Fishinnut (12-28-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 04:55 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 965 Likes on 599 Posts

I went with warm white so it looks factory but brighter. No dimming but the ones I chose are not super bright so it’s not an issue.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:35 AM
Fishinnut
Advanced

Thank you for the replies. This answers my questions. Mine is 69 427-435hp so I don't drive it much. Only had it for a year and a half.
Haven't driven it at night yet. Its just a fun car to drive. Summertime I am usually running back and forth to the coast offshore fishing and don't have much time to drive the car. But it's there when I want to drive it.
Old 12-23-2023, 07:57 PM
1860army
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 190 Posts

Only had it for a year and a half.
Haven't driven it at night yet.
If you don't drive it at night a lot, why switch to LEDs, why take the chance of disturbing 40-50 year old wiring to fix something that is not broke? I know many do it, and I see threads of electrical issues that are related to the switch, either directly or indirectly. I don't get the fascination with LEDs, it's a classic car with classic technology, that warm glow of the incandescent dash bulbs is part of owning an old car for me. They are big in the Harley world too, I bought a 30 year old soft tail that was "converted" to LEDs...Not any more... No right or wrong I just don't get it...

Fishinnut (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 08:16 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

It was pretty much a saftey issue for my old eyes. Tried new stock bulbs first, but not that not much difference. Did the center gauges too. They dim no problem.
Old 12-24-2023, 04:42 PM
1860army
Pro

Received 310 Likes on 190 Posts

It was pretty much a saftey issue for my old eyes.
John, Yeah my eyes have gone south too.... I've considered doing something to the tail lights, even bought another set in case I have to alter them. Maybe one LED on each side-if I ever have nothing better to do lol.... You know Jersey traffic, a cross between NY and PA with a dose of Jersey attitude.. I sit at a stop light and see some soccer mom coming up behind me, way too fast, in a way too big for her SUV, with a coffee in one hand and I know there is a phone somewhere close by. I always leave a lot of room in front of me so when they do stop, right on my A$$, I ease it forward a little, and of course they have to inch up again right on my bumper again...

Old 12-24-2023, 04:46 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 1860army
John, Yeah my eyes have gone south too.... I've considered doing something to the tail lights, even bought another set in case I have to alter them. Maybe one LED on each side-if I ever have nothing better to do lol.... You know Jersey traffic, a cross between NY and PA with a dose of Jersey attitude.. I sit at a stop light and see some soccer mom coming up behind me, way too fast, in a way too big for her SUV, with a coffee in one hand and I know there is a phone somewhere close by. I always leave a lot of room in front of me so when they do stop, right on my A$$, I ease it forward a little, and of course they have to inch up again right on my bumper again...

I know the feeling. Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2023, 05:15 PM
Fishinnut
Advanced

If you don't drive it at night a lot, why switch to LEDs, why take the chance of disturbing 40-50 year old wiring to fix something that is not broke? I know many do it, and I see threads of electrical issues that are related to the switch, either directly or indirectly. I don't get the fascination with LEDs, it's a classic car with classic technology, that warm glow of the incandescent dash bulbs is part of owning an old car for me. They are big in the Harley world too, I bought a 30 year old soft tail that was "converted" to LEDs...Not any more... No right or wrong I just don't get it...

My dashlights looked pretty dim in a dark garage. At some point I will drive it at night. Depends on whether I get a wild hair or not as to if I change the bulbs or not. If the LEDs are too bright when driving at night I will probably bag it. Doesn't sound like the LEDs work with the dash dimmer switch.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:38 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

My solution: I kept the incandescent bulbs in the tach and speedometer and installed LEDs every where else. I can still dim the tach/speedo lights. One main reason to install LEDs is that it keeps current through the factory dimmer reostat low. With all incandescents, the dimmer reostat overheats and appears to cause damage.
Old 12-27-2023, 11:44 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Another thing I did was when I had my center gauges and drivers dash out, was paint the backing of the small gauges and the insides of the tach and speedo housings white. Also put LED's in the 2 lower courtesy lights, the overhead light, and shifter light too.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:58 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

Fishinnut
I swapped mine out for LED strip lighting. Depending on much you enjoy playing with tools and wiring it's an entertaining task. Also, I'm no purist. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-tach.html
Fishinnut (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 01:22 PM
Kidster71
Highway Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 106 Posts

Incandescent bulbs gradually dim over time. I used new incandescent for the dimmable bulbs. Not only do they dim, I think they look better with the green tinge of my 1971. I used LEDs for almost everything else utilizing an electronic flasher unit for signals and hazards bulbs.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited by Kidster71; 12-27-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Fishinnut (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 01:30 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 355 Posts

Agree. OP have you ever had your dash apart??
It can sometimed be a real nightmare to get it back into place without breaking the 50 yr old fiberglass or wiring, etc.
On my '69, it was the worst job ever, and I've rebuilt or replaced the majority of the parts on the whole car.
Fishinnut (12-27-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 04:24 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,586 Likes on 2,766 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I've had the drivers side dash out a few times over the years. Geez guys, it's not that bad. Have you pulled apart a late model?
when I had issues with a couple lights, sockets, a few years ago. I looked into the wattage of the original bulbs. Which all you can seem to find is a part number. Well, I dug a bit deeper and found out the original speedo/tach illumination bulbs are rated at 3.8 watts.
I was doing this digging as the OEM type bulbs are not readily available in Oz. So, I found a standard replacement bulb, fit's the same socket. Has a smaller glass globe, (but who see's em) was rated at 4 watts. Readily available in auto parts stores fairly inexpensive. And you do need a handful to do them all. So..... in they went. And that lousy .2 of a watt makes a difference in brightness. I have mine dimmed down about a 1/4 of the range so I'm not blinded by the light at night. Perfect!
look like stock lighting, dim like stock lighting. More than bright enough for my senior eyes. And less expensive than factory replacement. And HEAPS cheaper than unreliable LED's.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4-vettes:
Fishinnut (12-28-2023), GordonR (12-28-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about changing dash instrument lights to LED. Problems?

Quick Reply: Thinking about changing dash instrument lights to LED. Problems?