Audio - C3 Front kick panel speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 01:40 PM
LTC_Ret
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio - C3 Front kick panel speakers

Hello,

First, I want to thank everyone for their kind and patient input on my previous posts. I'm new to C3 Corvettes and this forum has been very helpful.

I'm restoring a 1972 Corvette (that currently has no front speakers) and I understand if I had them, they would be installed behind the LH, RH front kick panels. My question is, what size are they supposed to be? Can someone please include a pic with their response?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:41 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

ASSUMING they're the same size as the '68's... Pioneer 4x6's were what was in mine, obviously NOT the oem speakers.

I found a same-size pair at Advance Auto parts. $40.

picture to follow

Old 09-12-2023, 03:45 PM
pmr2000
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 75 coupe so not sure if same - I just installed 4" Rockford Fosgates R14X2's. That's all that would fit. Connected to a cheap Customautosound USA 230 radio. Sounds o.k. but not much volume at speed.

I have factory speakers up in dash that I disconnected sounded worse!
Old 09-12-2023, 04:03 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

IDK if you can fit some 4" or 5" round speakers in there that would be a bonus. Pretty much every guy who knows their car stereo 'stuff', like experienced installers, seem to say 4 or 5" round 2-way speakers beats out a 4x6 any day. I was just reading the Car Stereo Cookbook the other day and funny that author said the same thing. But I haven't personally done listening tests myself. I'm going to experiment with some I think though. But I've been reading some car stereo forums and the OBS forums have some knowledgeable car stereo guys on there who say the same ...based on their yrs of experience. Something to look into perhaps.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:23 PM
LTC_Ret
Navigator

Thanks, are your speakers in the kick plates?
Old 09-12-2023, 04:27 PM
LTC_Ret
Navigator

Perfect, thanks!
Old 09-12-2023, 08:08 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
IDK if you can fit some 4" or 5" round speakers in there that would be a bonus. Pretty much every guy who knows their car stereo 'stuff', like experienced installers, seem to say 4 or 5" round 2-way speakers beats out a 4x6 any day. I was just reading the Car Stereo Cookbook the other day and funny that author said the same thing. But I haven't personally done listening tests myself. I'm going to experiment with some I think though. But I've been reading some car stereo forums and the OBS forums have some knowledgeable car stereo guys on there who say the same ...based on their yrs of experience. Something to look into perhaps.

Interesting. I think I'll put in a call to Crutchfield, see what they think.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:31 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Interesting. I think I'll put in a call to Crutchfield, see what they think.
Definitely! Let us know what they say. There's not enough room in the dash for round speakers (w/o modifying), but in the kick panels there should be. Ask Crutchfield about Component speakers too (separate tweeter n woofer). Another pro-installer tip seems to be components are higher quality and almost always sound better than combo speakers. Let us know.

When I go to re-do my C3 car stereo I'm *planning* to follow a tried and true plan of putting some larger speakers in the rear, a sub, full-range speakers in the dash (maybe), tweeters on the A-pillars ...and either speakers in the door (if I get new door panels, by the knee area), or worst case kick panels (not as ideal, but less cutting). And an amp.

Every car I own (and have owned) that has a true kick-butt factory stereo seems to use a similar speaker lay-out.

Last edited by Mark G; 09-12-2023 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:33 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

I actually put 6-1/2" speakers in the kick panels of my '73. They had to be mounted on top of the kick panels rather than behind them. I had to carefully measure the pocket in the bird cage to make sure the speaker magnet would fit. I also had to measure carefully before cutting the kick panels. This was back in 2009 and I used Boston Acoustics speakers model #SL65. I also put their S75 4"x6" speakers in the stock dash location and custom built a subwoofer enclosure over the rear wheel behind the drivers seat. I used the head unit to drive the dash speakers and installed a 4 channel amp for the others. Bridged the amp for 2 channels to drive the subwoofer and let the other two drive the kick panel speakers. All in all, I get great sound out of it. Now I just need to tame an exhaust drone so the sound doesn't compete with the stereo.

The speaker grills overhang the door panel just a bit but have caused no issues.

I sourced the entire system from Crutchfield.

DC
The following 2 users liked this post by DC3:
Mark G (09-12-2023), Tranz Zam (09-13-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:38 PM
LTC_Ret
Navigator

Awesome, it looks great. Very clean install...
Old 09-12-2023, 08:54 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by LTC_Ret
I'm restoring a 1972 Corvette (that currently has no front speakers) and I understand if I had them, they would be installed behind the LH, RH front kick panels. My question is, what size are they supposed to be? Can someone please include a pic with their response?
Actually, 1970 - 1972 Corvettes used two 4x6 speakers under the upper dash pad. The upper pad is perforated to allow the sound to pass unhindered (unlike the 1968 - 1969 dash pad which was not perforated). 1968 - 1969 Corvettes used two 4x10 speakers in the lower kick panels behind the plastic trim piece (which was also perforated). These speakers/locations were the same regardless of whether a mono or stereo am/fm radio was installed. Also of note is that these speakers were rated at 10 ohms to work correctly with the Delco radios of the period.

Having said this, you have some options. You can stay with the stock system, you can upgrade the speakers/head unit using the stock speaker locations, or you can upgrade the speakers/head unit and use additional/alternate locations. Going to an aftermarket head unit also opens up your speaker options.

What’s your pleasure?

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 09-12-2023, 08:57 PM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G;1607038017 4 or 5" [b
round 2-way speakers beats out a 4x6 any day
Yep.

Totally in agreement. You put even tiny 4" rounds in a resonant cavity --- like a door panel, you can get amazingly good sound. Kick panel isn't sealed like a door, but you might be able to
mount 5 inchers there.

Had a 1964 GTO with a crappy 8 track, low-cost equalizer, and 5" rounds in the front doors sounded as good as anything I've had since at much higher $$$.

Or did it? We were stoned a lot back then...
Old 09-13-2023, 10:10 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

A lot of stereos sounded "great" back "in the day". Esp on ears tuned in on am radio ...lol

Side note: It amazes me how top end factory hi-fi systems continue to get better with each generation.

Old 09-13-2023, 10:55 AM
LTC_Ret
Navigator

Thank You!
Old 09-13-2023, 05:43 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Definitely! Let us know what they say. There's not enough room in the dash for round speakers (w/o modifying), but in the kick panels there should be. Ask Crutchfield about Component speakers too (separate tweeter n woofer). Another pro-installer tip seems to be components are higher quality and almost always sound better than combo speakers. Let us know..
Called Crutchfield, spoke with Dante:

He had no opinion one way or another as to round vs. oval. However there was but one round separate component choice with a 4" speaker and a separately mounted tweeter and that was an

Infinity Kappa 463XF

He said great speaker but don't expect any low end performance. Pricey, so that's about all I can share so far.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:28 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,228 Likes on 1,736 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Just sayin-

Oval speakers were used by car manufactures to maximize space-
They are lousy in reproducing bass as you have different distances from the center to the edges- this can cause flex -adding distortion.
You won't find them on home speakers (except if used as a passive driver - I think Polk did that)

No matter what speaker you mount in the kick panel- DO make sure you don't have an "Acoustic Short Circuit."
Sound waves from the front of the speaker are 180º out of phase with the sound coming from the back of the speaker and cancel each other out- Very noticeable in the lower frequencies( bass )

So if surface mounting- make sure you cover the perforations-

The following 4 users liked this post by Richard454:
427 BMF (10-03-2023), Bikespace (09-14-2023), Mark G (09-13-2023), Tranz Zam (09-14-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 10:36 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,718 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Speaker phasing is important; all speakers in the car need to be wired in-phase. Also, speaker impedance needs to match what the head unit wants to see. If you have a stock Delco unit, they want to see 10 ohm speaker impedance. They will work fine with 8 ohm speakers...BUT NO LESS THAN 8 OHMS or you risk frying the power output section when the volume is turned up. Most modern amps/head units want to see 4 ohm speakers.

P.S. Putting high frequency speakers in the kick-panel areas is a TOTAL waste of effort and money. Hi frequencies need to travel directly to the ear...not bounce around (they just dissipate to nothing). That's why Corvette designer put the speakers in the dash pad--so the sound would bounce off a HARD surface (windshield) and be directed straight to the listener. You can replace the mid-high speakers in the dash with better units; but keeping them there is a plus.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (09-14-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Audio - C3 Front kick panel speakers

Old 09-14-2023, 06:18 AM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Received 732 Likes on 410 Posts

In my 78 I'm running Kicker 4 inch rounds in the dash, 6 inch components in the kick panels, and 6x9s in the rear all running through an 4 channel amp. For the bass I have a single Kicker 10" running on a big mono amp.

The car is loud as hell, but the stereo will drown in out no problem. It'll rattle anything that isn't bolted down tight lol
Old 09-14-2023, 06:50 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
P.S. Putting high frequency speakers in the kick-panel areas is a TOTAL waste of effort and money. Hi frequencies need to travel directly to the ear...not bounce around (they just dissipate to nothing). That's why Corvette designer put the speakers in the dash pad--so the sound would bounce off a HARD surface (windshield) and be directed straight to the listener. You can replace the mid-high speakers in the dash with better units; but keeping them there is a plus.
I scrolled down the add this, and saw it already eloquently written.

There's lots of room in the back for round bass speakers, or even a sub. But keep the high frequencies at ear-level. You'll notice that many modern cars do this in the a-pillar.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:27 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 967 Likes on 600 Posts

I agree with what’s been said re speaker locations.

Put some good speakers eg 4x6 separates in dash that produce mid and high and in the kicks some rounds for mid bass. A sub in the rear if you want as well.

You Just need to split the signal properly for clear sound so your mid tweeters don’t get bass.

All depends on how good a sound you want and remember once your moving the engine and exhaust sounds will be in constant battle with your music 😀

Quick Reply: Audio - C3 Front kick panel speakers