1973 interior door panel

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 09:37 PM
ConnorBeaton1973
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1973 interior door panel

Hello,
Is there an easier way to place on the interior door panel? Theres gotta be an easier way! Either the door handle gets in the way or something else. And I do not want to crack or break the panel. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2023, 09:48 PM
RU7376vettes
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

There is a screw in the backside of the inside door handle that holds it in the latch 'slide'. Once you get the screw out then you have to slide the handle to get it out of the latch. It is a pain, but it can be done, just be patient and don't force it. Make certain you have the door panel loose as you have to wiggle it around to get the handle off.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:06 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 964 Likes on 598 Posts

there are lots of ways people get it done but I fitted mine with the handle off then using a hook between the door and the back edge of the panel pulled the door lock bar (that comes from handle) back and the mechanism moves allowing the handle to go on easily. Then do up the screw.

it can help to have someone pull the bar while you put the handle on.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:37 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

If your “door card” is original, it’s a bad idea to try and install/remove it with the door open handle left in place. There are many posts on the subject, everyone has their personal method, use Google. Here is my technique. First I install the door card an attach the hard vinyl handle along with the four screws. Now that the door card is in place, it’s time to install the chrome handle. To install the handle, I use a very large Blade Screwdriver or a chisel inserted into BOTH Ridges ( if the screw driver does not touch both ridges you can brake one of them, like I did) on the receiving lock mechanism. Next move the pot metal receiver piece to the full open position. Then I insert a large plastic trim tool (or some other non marring wedge) to Hold Open the pot metal receiver. Then Gently slide the lock handle on to the pot metal receiver. Insert the screw and your done. Once the door lock handle is on, I attach the window crank handle and door lock **** (it will only go on one way).
Old 02-01-2023, 01:10 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

"Door card"

Jaguar forum lingo.

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 interior door panel

Quick Reply: 1973 interior door panel