Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 owners thoughts on a C7

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:43 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

It's official. They killed the Corvette. If I had the money I would buy a Viper before that thing.

This looks tough and not like a Toyletta Celica street racer got his hands on it

Last edited by AdamMeh; 09-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 80Baby
What offends me is GM resurrecting the "Stingray" name. This car is not a "Stingray"; no how - no way. It's nothing more than a cheap marketing ploy by some GM suits. The car should have been given an identity of its own. It should have been called the 2014 Corvette "Manta Ray".
not a jab at you, but what is the Stingray name if not a marketing ploy. Its designed to get you to buy something. Thats its ONLY job.
It was then and is now, nothing else. It just so happens a LOT of us value that name because we like the old style (s) and may feel the name is devalued now if we don't like the new style.

While I don't like the Camaro look. that in of itself is psychological. Corvette lovers (myself included) typically feel the Corvette is a little less "blue collar" than the Camaro. That the Camaro has rear seats takes away from it so we dont like the rear of the new Vettes.
I have heard it said that in person the lights don't really look as close to the Camaro style as we are led to believe. I will hold judgement on that until I see one.

otherwise I like the cues taken from the likes of Ferrari and others. sharper lines than the C6 and a wide gaping mouth to suck in all that air its going to want.

Last edited by jnealg; 09-03-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

**** for performance / dollar spent. The design(to me) looks too busy and looks like the designer was trying too hard to make the car "look" fast.

Sometimes less is more, this design needs less! It kinda looks like some 13 year old kids had some input on what they thought was kool.

That being said, I would let it sit beside my 71 in the driveway.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
radray
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like most I like the car, not much on the tail lights and why the hell would you not put the word stingray on it instead of what looks to me like a guitar @ 10ft away
Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Chappie
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Punisher
I like the C7. Much better looking than the C6. But I think that stingray emblem is crap.
I love the C7 and all other Corvettes and have grown weary of the critics. I love the fact that many of the C7 elements came right from the C6R. Saw three C7s Labor Day weekend at the Grand Prix of Baltimore (where the C6Rs finished 1-2 in class) and love it even more now! My wife and I especially loved the yellow Z51 with the black wheels/spoiler/mirrors. The whole car is simply fascinating and exciting to look at.

I like the Stingray emblem too...doesn't anyone realize that emblem harks back to Bill Mitchell's '59 Stingray Racer? I've not seen any mention of that in MT, C&D, R&T, etc or Corvette Magazine or VETTE for that matter.

Now that the camo'd C7R has debuted when will the bashing start on the race car?

Love all Vettes ya'll.

Chappie

Last edited by Chappie; 09-04-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:50 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Chappie
I like the Stingray emblem too...doesn't anyone realize that emblem harks back to Bill Mitchell's '59 Stingray Racer? I've not seen any mention of that in MT, C&D, R&T, etc or Corvette Magazine or VETTE for that matter.

Chappie
I never knew this, just looked at some pics of this car and sure enough in the same position is that stingray emblem. Great catch!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...oto.aspx#photo
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Styling is highly subjective. Making any kind of break from tradition draws the ire of traditionalists and people who just don't like change.
I think the new C7 is a perfect example of a sporting car in the modern idiom - The surface detail that many have identified as "over styling" seems to me to be functional for the sake of aerodynamic performance and efficiency.
I can't say that I believe any modern Ferrari is a beautiful machine - certainly not like their historic pieces of sculpture. Maybe the new Vette isn't either. But, like the modern Ferrari, its capabilities and progress of engineering cannot be ignored.
Anyone who wasn't there the first time should go back and read reviews of the 1968 C3... It was called garish, overwrought, crass, lacking function and a number of other unflattering adjectives.
I call it stunning.
Surely, most of us would call it the quintessential Corvette.
Time will judge this new design to be a stellar feat of engineering and a clear triumph by a company who nearly ceased to exist a few short years ago.
Would I have one?
In a heartbeat.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
It's official. They killed the Corvette. If I had the money I would buy a Viper before that thing.

This looks tough and not like a Toyletta Celica street racer got his hands on it

Now that is an impressive car. Much more than the C7. Does Dodge still sell them?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM
Chappie
Instructor

Originally Posted by gdh
I never knew this, just looked at some pics of this car and sure enough in the same position is that stingray emblem. Great catch!

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...oto.aspx#photo
G-

I even once saw aftermarket copies a few years ago and thought of putting them on our '79, but now I cannot find them.

Chappie
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not a fan of the electronic technology. I want the throttle mechanically connected to my right foot and the brakes to do exactly what I command not obey some software. Yes I'm old school but I like what I can fix with a wrench. Would I take a C-7 if given to me? Sure, but I'm not parting with my C-3.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Chappie
Instructor

Originally Posted by paul 74
Now that is an impressive car. Much more than the C7. Does Dodge still sell them?
Yes they do, except that it is not a Dodge anymore. It is simply an SRT Viper. SRT sponsored the Baltimore GP and had the whole SRT family on display- Viper, Charger, 300, Challenger, and Grand Cherokee. All wonderfully beautiful vehicles.

If I had a choice I'd probably go with the Challenger....all white....with the vanity tag...KWALSKI.

SRT also showcased the 2014 SRT Viper GT3R, a $400k+ track ready race car. Wish Chevy would do something like that with the C7 because I would love to see more Vettes road racing in the upcoming USCR, Continental GT, etc. Hell! Bring back the Corvette Challenge!

Chappie

Last edited by Chappie; 09-04-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would buy one today if I had the money
Honestly, it's a bad a$$ car. No question.

Doesn't mean I don't LOVE my C3
Old 09-05-2013, 11:23 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

So you are impressed by the Viper? They are still using the truck based engine after all these years. I think it would be a very difficult car to drive daily, unlike the Corvette which does so many things extremely well. The corvette's potential market is small enough. The Viper's potential market is miniscule.

I think we can call this the Viper paradox. The only people that want to buy one don't have enough money. Those with enough money don't want to buy one. I wouldn't if I did.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM
E12n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
So you are impressed by the Viper? They are still using the truck based engine after all these years. I think it would be a very difficult car to drive daily, unlike the Corvette which does so many things extremely well. The corvette's potential market is small enough. The Viper's potential market is miniscule.

I think we can call this the Viper paradox. The only people that want to buy one don't have enough money. Those with enough money don't want to buy one. I wouldn't if I did.
Viper's are neat cars, but they aren't as practical or can do as many things as a Corvette. Maybe once they mature the design a bit more, it'll be a true rival.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PRNDL

So you are impressed by the Viper? Yes.

They are still using the truck based engine after all these years. And this is bad how?

I think it would be a very difficult car to drive daily, unlike the Corvette which does so many things extremely well. But you have driven neither of them.

The corvette's potential market is small enough. The Viper's potential market is miniscule. Marketing fan base has zero to do with a my decisions to buy any car.

I think we can call this the Viper paradox. The only people that want to buy one don't have enough money. Those with enough money don't want to buy one. Where does this info come from?

I wouldn't if I did. And that is what makes the car world go 'round. To each their own.
By the way - that "truck motor" puts out 640 horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque. Nice truck.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...By the way - that "truck motor" puts out 640 horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque...
And still gets beat by Corvettes.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Very possible Mike. Also possible that Corvettes lose to Vipers.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 owners thoughts on a C7

Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

By the way - that "truck motor" puts out 640 horsepower and 600 lb-ft of torque. Nice truck.
And it seems as though the C7 is only a few pounds lighter than the Viper.
(Funny, I always thought the Viper was much heavier.... maybe it just looks that way?)
Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I care so little about newer cars I had to go google to see what it looked like, yawn, big big yawn, looks like something from that company that uses a prancing horse emblem.....
Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 964 Likes on 598 Posts

The way I look at it is they have jump started the C7 for a new demographic.

Doing the same again would just result in slow decline as it would appeal mostly to the existing base of customers who are getting older.

So if GM wants the Vette name to continue and grow a change was what they needed.

They needed to link it to the past with certain styling and names etc.

I don't mind the look at all but to me if it turns on new customers and a new generation of Vette lovers we will be better for it.

Quick Reply: C3 owners thoughts on a C7