C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vapor canister ( want to clean up under hood)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:22 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd
Nice ... Any other thread related information you might have to offer ? Because that covered every vac hose under my hood !!!
you attack me then ask if I have anything relevant to add I have never put anyone here on ignore but I think you are going to make that list.

I doubt with your attitude you're going to get much help, good luck to ya
Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

If you want to block me please do.It would be the only helpful thing you could do in this thread.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:32 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Nah, wont give you the satisfaction will just sit back and watch the stupidity.... Good luck to ya tough guy!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:38 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Amazing not one bit of info you posted was on topic . your good at calling names or flaming people is that with in the rules of this forum ? You might want to check and even delete your posts here as you have become the least helpful person I have yet to respond to.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
CTVETTE78
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Just wow. This thread has descended into a new low for the C3 forum.

OP, perhaps you can just tell us what you want to hear so nobody will offend you any further.

Alan71, this is probably a good place for someone without a dog in this hunt to just say thanks for sharing your build with us and for always being a gentleman.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CTVETTE78
Wow. Just wow. This thread has descended into a new low for the C3 forum.

OP, perhaps you can just tell us what you want to hear so nobody will offend you any further.

Alan71, this is probably a good place for someone without a dog in this hunt to just say thanks for sharing your build with us and for always being a gentleman.

I am not offended , if someone says hey I am starved any advice and people come by poke fun in 2 replies then post a pic of a mouth watering steak and not one of those first three did anything to get that person closer to food I say what on earth are they even doing posting at all ???

It is almost like asking a child DID you break that glass, and he holds up a pic of a perfect pitcher and glass set,, ha ha ha or a diff sibling comes to his defense and says how nice it was of him to show that photo ... ...it is exasperating it just amazes me how far off the mark so many can be to a simple question .. so not offended really it is more funny then it is serious but gee wizzzz one does naturally think an adult owns a corvette

Well except me .. I guess I should get color print glossy photos with pie charts and graphs and include them when i ask for some advice.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Listen. Alan has a spectacular car. I'd be scared as hell to even sneeze on the thing. I 100% honestly believe he was trying to be helpful.

Back to the original post...

Anything I have to offer below is from the owner of an honest to goodness Frankenstein of a Driver Corvette that has been beat and welded into submission. It looks pretty cool and is a hoot to work on, but "CORRECT", it is not.

Over the years, these cars are modified as a matter of NEED and not as a matter of DESIRE TO MESS THEM UP. Engines are pulled and replaced and, as a result, lines are run in more convenient locations, twisted, replaced, re-loomed, whatever. They END UP "looking like crap" not because that's how they started out, but because that's what happens over 30+ and 40+ years of people working on them and making 'convenient' fixes.

I am absolutely 100% in agreement with the focus of your project: CLEAN UP THE ENGINE BAY. Not even to the 'stock' condition. I mean CLEAN. Even in Alan's pictures you can see the (very, very correct) wires and such on the firewall. I don't even want to see that. I want to see next to nothing!

I have my engine out right now and I'm spending the next 2 months on a MISSION to completely rehab my engine bay. I don't know how close I'm going to get, but my GOAL is to have every single vacuum hose and wire turned and loomed STRAIGHT and PARALLEL, hiding them under the fender lip or wherever I can and, if I can't hide them, have them be so flat against the firewall/fender and straight (not crossing each other) that the engine bay will look downright roomy.

I want the ONLY focus in that engine bay to be the ENGINE!!!

I have no clue how to begin and I know it may be a painful process. I don't even know how close to my goal I will get, but I'm a Mechanical Engineer of German and Russian heritage, so I know how ****-retentive I am and believe I'll get close enough to make a difference in the overall appearance in the engine bay.

Stay with us, Mr. Diehrd. I don't think anyone was trying to be mean or superior. Honest.

Last edited by keithinspace; 11-06-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

As a follow up: I'm sometimes "Mr. Sensitive" on these forums and let things get under my skin too quick. I very much like to have good, pleasant, objective discussions on the forum since this is basically a "volunteer" thing and having folks being mean just sucks all the fun out of it.

THAT SAID: I understand where Mr. Diehrd is coming from.

He posts a question about cleaning up his engine bay. He's wondering how many are for emissions crap (that can be removed) and how many actually control engine functions. A little broad based and lacking in detail (year), but a perfectly fair start to a thread.

First response: Laughing.

Second response: Not sure, but it looks like it is a jab at the condition of the rest of the man's car.

Third response: My car is awesome. (With ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD to you, Alan. You are a very helpful member and your car is amazing, but I'm figuring the quantity of hoses the OP is dealing with in his car ('79? '80?) is far beyond yours or mine. Don't know that for a fact, but I'm taking a stab in the dark)

By my estimation, Posts 6 through 27 don't have anything to do with anything. Just Mr. Diehrd being upset by folks not "getting" what he'd like to do with his car.

So...does anyone have any pictures of an engine bay where they ATTACKED the wires and vacuum hoses with a vengence? I'm pretty curious also.

If nobody does, I'll post mine in January. Odd to think I'm "cutting edge" in this department, though.

Last edited by keithinspace; 11-06-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Thanks Kiethinspace.... A few members have been on point and very helpful and if anyone needs to see my wreck of a car just click my photo link under avatar .

I am set at this point a lot of it will become self evident once I dive into it and my biggest hope with this thread was that someone has pulled all those lines and re-ran only the 3 or 4 needed directly to there destination by passing that can in fender well
Old 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace

Second response: Not sure, but it looks like it is a jab at the condition of the rest of the man's car.

By my estimation, Posts 6 through 27 don't have anything to do with anything. Just Mr. Diehrd being upset by folks not "getting" what he'd like to do with his car.
You rang?

My comment was

1) the OP's post is barely intelligible from a grammatical, spelling, syntax and punctuation point of view. Many readers here instantly turn off when reading such posts and don't bother responding

2) there's no detail (as mentioned above) about what year, engine or transmission the OP has, or whether it's stock or modified. It makes all the difference in the world if he's got a base engine '68 with a four speed vs. an '82.

Despite further hints and requests, we're still in the dark. No, it's not the contributor's job to look in somebody's profile to find out what he's driving- so I have no idea if his car is a jewel or junk.

Maybe the above is why folks are not 'getting' what the Op wants.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,724 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Well, from my perspective, I would not offer any advice to you whatsoever....whether it might be of benefit to you, or not. I actually think you are correct, you would be better off going to some other Forum. People, such as yourself, are "takers". They come for advice, and if they like it, they take it and run. And, if they don't like it, they just rant, complain and act childish. So, PLEASE! do yourself [and us] a favor and bother some other folks.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
You rang?

My comment was..."I don't think that 'under the hood' is the first thing that needs to be cleaned up."
I really don't want to make a big deal of it. I don't have a dog in the hunt.

If you wanted to convey to the OP that his original post was short on detail or "barely intelligible", I would suggest you respond accordingly.

Had your response been, "Hey, OP, it would be helpful if you provide the year and a few other details on your car so we can direct the conversation this way or that way" is much more helpful.

From the OP's avatar, I can glean that he owns a later model C3. I don't know how much of a difference his transmission makes to the volume/orientation of his vacuum lines. It looks like he's going to have the top end apart soon and would like to take advantage of the extra "room" in his engine compartment to do some housekeeping.

The original post leaves a bit to be desired, yes, but I did an OK job of identifying with what he'd like to accomplish and, even if I didn't help him directly, demonstrated that there are others that are heading in the same direction as he is.

I'm just saying.

Seriously...you guys can have the run of the place. That is fine. I can honestly say, though, that I've not posted about SEVERAL things on my car because I don't want to get 'flamed' for doing this or overdoing that. Not that my crap matters. It doesn't. But for me to NOT want to post a thread is a real loss, in my opinion.

And for it to be OK to tell folks to leave and don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out...well...that's just not cool. I'd like to think the people that are making money off this forum (and there ARE people making money off this forum) by attracting new members and selling advertising space would be a little bummed for that to be 'the way it is'.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 967 Likes on 600 Posts

Wow.

I read through this thread and then went back and read the first post again.

My first take was you wanted to understand what was what so you could clean it up, meaning, make it work and make it neat.

Removing some stuff possibly but I have to agree your post could be taken different ways for sure.

I would suggest reading your posts after typing them and not assuming people know what you mean without explaining it.

The first replies were also probably misinterpreting what u were after but for you to go into attack mode straight away is just a joke.

Now I understand what your after, a clean uncluttered "non stock" engine bay I am sure lots of people could help with advice, however I bet most won't.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by CraigH
...but for you to go into attack mode straight away is just a joke.
I don't disagree with this point or Mr. CraigH's post.

Holy cow. Any chance anyone out there has some pictures of a "cleaned up" non-stock engine bay? I'd love to get back to the now-clarified intent of the original question.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

In my 77, I removed as much as possible under the hood to keep it not only clean and tidy but simple. Almost everything went. AC, cruise, vapor cannister, return lines, alarm and wiring, hood light wiring, and brought the washer hoses through where the alarm was mounted so there's less on top. In fact I may make the fan relays hidden so they cant be seen also. Also glassed over lots of holes in the firewall where wires and hoses went through.
Hope this helps some. Good luck.
Went from this :

to this:

Last edited by John 65; 11-06-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
You rang?

My comment was

1) the OP's post is barely intelligible from a grammatical, spelling, syntax and punctuation point of view. Many readers here instantly turn off when reading such posts and don't bother responding

2) there's no detail (as mentioned above) about what year, engine or transmission the OP has, or whether it's stock or modified. It makes all the difference in the world if he's got a base engine '68 with a four speed vs. an '82.

Despite further hints and requests, we're still in the dark. No, it's not the contributor's job to look in somebody's profile to find out what he's driving- so I have no idea if his car is a jewel or junk.

Maybe the above is why folks are not 'getting' what the Op wants.
So your saying" under the hood" was NOT JUST A SNIDE COMMENT IT ACTUALLY carried ALL THIS MEANING YOU NOW POST.

BECAUSE FROM YOUR ORIGINAL POST NO ONE COULD MAKE OUT THIS MEANING YOU SO CHEERFULLY POSTED 29 SPOTS LATER.

Last edited by diehrd; 11-06-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:23 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John 65
In my 77, I removed as much as possible under the hood to keep it not only clean and tidy but simple. Almost everything went. AC, cruise, vapor cannister, return lines, alarm and wiring, hood light wiring, and brought the washer hoses through where the alarm was mounted so there's less on top. In fact I may make the fan relays hidden so they cant be seen also. Also glassed over lots of holes in the firewall where wires and hoses went through.
Hope this helps some. Good luck.
Went from this :

to this:

Now that looks nice , when you did it could you have run the lines that go over the break boaster under it ?

Get notified of new replies

To Vapor canister ( want to clean up under hood)

Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Originally Posted by John 65
Sweet!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi dh,
This certainly wasn't my intent, and I'll fix it.
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Take a look at post #42 here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ts-seem-3.html

Then take a little something for the anger management. Finding this took 5 minutes on the search and no one got upset.

Quick Reply: Vapor canister ( want to clean up under hood)