Sponsored by:

NEED HELP - '78 Fiero Seat Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Slix81
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NEED HELP - '78 Fiero Seat Install

Hey gang! I haven toying with replacing the stock seats in Vette for a while. So, I bought some 85 Fiero seats with speakers in the head rest. I know that Mr Mike sells seat covers and there is a local upholster in ATL that will make some for me, so I am covered on that front.

My questions actually are around the install of the seat themselves. There is an outfit in CA that sells some rails that allow you to attach your C3 rails to the Fiero seats. This requires butchering the old seats. I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. Has anyone installed these seats directly to the floor pan without too much modification? I assume I am goin to have to drill, but no worries.

Looking for some help please.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:57 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

install to the floor pan, no worries
Old 10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I posted this somewhere else here on the CF ... I took my stock seats in... They replaced all the hardware and backs with new.... Welded and repaired the frames.. Then built up the new foam with bolsters for side support ect.... No messing with adapting different brackets / frames...
Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

There is an outfit in CA that sells some rails that allow you to attach your C3 rails to the Fiero seats. This requires butchering the old seats.
The ones I looked at only required that you remove the seat tracks form the seats via 2 bolts per track. The original, (not butchering) seat tracks are then bolted to the rails and then that assembly is bolted to the Fiero seats. You could put the originals back in the car in less than two hours if you ever wanted or needed to. If you drill and attach to the floor pan you have made new holes and don't have the support built into the floor pan.

I have decided that I will have mine rebuilt with new moderate foam shaped bolsters and recovered in similar to original fashion.

Last edited by flyeri; 10-21-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:10 PM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did installed '85 fiero seats in my '78 and the only thing i did was welding a peice of flat bar on each end of my corvette track so i could bolt the fiero seats on them.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Slix81
Intermediate

Default A few more questions..

Thanks for all your information thus far guys. I would like to avoid utilizing and / or modifying my current seats and brackets. Three reasons, 1, in case I ever want a immediate swap, 2, in case I want to sell the original seats, 3, I also do not have the ability to create the aforementioned brackets for the fiero seats and do not want to shell out 100 bucks to have the brackets made either.

Is there any real documented disadvantage to drilling and installing directly to the floor boards? (e.g., chair height, support, extra stinking holes, etc.)

Thx!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

I would use some sort of plate to spread the weight . A 4" washer under each mounting spot on one or both sides of the floor, as an example, and it depends on the condition of your floors. you could even make your own seat frame adapter from pieces of strap metal and mount them to the vette mounting spots. hope this helps
Old 10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by den(thevetteman)78
I did installed '85 fiero seats in my '78 and the only thing i did was welding a peice of flat bar on each end of my corvette track so i could bolt the fiero seats on them.
beat me to it, excellent
Old 10-22-2012, 11:50 AM
78IndyPace
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed Fiero seats in my '78 by cutting adapters from 1/8" thick x 2" width steel bar stock bought at the local hardware store. No welding. No mods to my original slider rails. Use original seat mount holes in the floor pan and the original seat mount bolts. I'm 6' 2" and still have good headroom and legroom.

Adapter:

Adapters and slider rails on Fiero seat:

Detail of adapter bolted to seat and rear of slider rail:

Carriage bolts are used to fasten slider rails to adapters. The holes drilled in the adapters are filed square to match the square part of the bolt just under the bolt head. Carriage bolts are cut to length to allow clearance for sliding. Note use of lock washers. Bolts into the seat are a metric thread, but I don't remember the size.

Here's Mr.Mike's leather covers on the Fiero seats in my car:

Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
dmeesq
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 45 Posts

a very simple way to do this is listed here. This is how I did mine. Had a local guy make the leather covers.

http://corvettec3.ca/fiero.htm

Old 10-22-2012, 04:20 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The mods explained on post #11 are done to fiero rails. Check it out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...installed.html

Last edited by 929nitro; 10-22-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Slix81
Intermediate

Default Thanks!

Thanks! I just spoke with the guy who did the mods. Going to find a machine shop to help with the modifications.

Originally Posted by 929nitro
The mods explained on post #11 are done to fiero rails. Check it out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...installed.html
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Be sure and post pictures of your finished install.

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP - '78 Fiero Seat Install

Quick Reply: NEED HELP - '78 Fiero Seat Install