C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 72 is a 81...where do I learn body differences? NOOB here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:00 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks someone dropped a late model body on an old frame to me.

Probably wrecked????
Old 07-15-2011, 03:19 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,331 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74

I have $600.00 for a nice set if they are bolt-on and 8". I've looked but cannot find.
There have been 2 different sets for sale on Craigslist in NJ, in the last year. One set was for $600, and the other was $800. A friend of mine offered $500 for the $800 set (he knew someone who wanted a set, and was trying to make a couple bucks on them), but I understand seller got $650 or 700 for them.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

And so it begins.....when shes good and warm she idles rough and cuts out. Either a VAC leak or improperly adjusted carb ( I thing shes running fat at idle)

And I see that big blocks suffer from the same heat sink starter problem as the small blocks do! (Thank god I made it home...he s sitting in my driveway and wont even turn over) The amp gauge shows full draw when I try and kick it over, so Im going to let it cool and come back to it later.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So does the partial VIN on the engine match the VIN on the windshield pillar? A later body doesn't just drop onto a 72 frame without modifications to the rear of the frame. Boy, I wouldn't want to have to explain this car to a future buyer. That seller got really lucky.

Rick B.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
So does the partial VIN on the engine match the VIN on the windshield pillar? A later body doesn't just drop onto a 72 frame without modifications to the rear of the frame. Boy, I wouldn't want to have to explain this car to a future buyer. That seller got really lucky.

Rick B.
Yes, all the VIN's match. The tail is just a little off. A bit dimpled.

Yes, he did get lucky. I got the Corvette I always wanted at a decent price. I know the car is a mismatch.....but Im not a purist, so I dont care. Here in upstate NY, rust free cars bring a premium. The last mid 70's Vette I was looking at in my price range (under 8 grand) was totally rotted thru the frame.....
Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
There have been 2 different sets for sale on Craigslist in NJ, in the last year. One set was for $600, and the other was $800. A friend of mine offered $500 for the $800 set (he knew someone who wanted a set, and was trying to make a couple bucks on them), but I understand seller got $650 or 700 for them.
I tried last year but basically gave up. I do remember when Eckler's sold them but in contacting them last summer they had no corporate memory: no old stock or knowledge of the original source. Not a biggy for me, just a nice to have. Like a big632 gas lid.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Scottd
Drifting

UGHHHH!!!!! She wont start....wont turn over. Starter is drawing power but not cranking......hi torque starter going in ASAP.....
Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

She's telling you to post more pics.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,350 Likes on 2,781 Posts

Id ask how much this cost but I have a feeling I dont want to know.

An obvious question is: were the tops glass tops or were they painted? If they were glass, I understand keeping them to tweak the price. If they were just painted tops, then the seller is just insane, especially being so lucky as to sell a car so hard to sell like this one.

Given the custom stuff and the 81ish body and the reportedly 72 frame... does the VIN plate have a state issued "rebuilt" VIN tag? Many states require it on cars that were totalled like this probably was. I would also look at the title and see if it says, "salvage" "rebuilt" "flood" etc.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by Scottd
I checked the VIN, registration and engine block this morning....all are a 1972 with a LS5 engine, all match. I know the rear window is the large surrounding type, as in a post 78. The entire rear at least has been replaced. I didnt buy the car for accuracy, so Im not too concerned, Im just worried about matching parts. I wish I knew why somebody would do a body swap like that....??

I see you are from Webster? I live in Syracuse and bought the car from a guy just off Culver ave in Rochester!

What other pics should I post to help me dial in on what I have?
If you are interested in pulling the look together, throw away those sidepipes and hood as quickly as possible. Add some 80-82 alloy wheels and the car will suddenly be hard to tell from correct until someone looks closely. Glass tops will finish the look.

Pics of rear end under the car- interior-engine compartment
Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
If you are interested in pulling the look together, throw away those sidepipes and hood as quickly as possible. Add some 80-82 alloy wheels and the car will suddenly be hard to tell from correct until someone looks closely. Glass tops will finish the look.

Shoot me for saying this.....I like the pipes...I love the hood and Im keeping it all. Im not going for accurate...Im not going for period correct and Im not going for a 72/81....I wanted a 454 in a C3 body with as little mechanical work as possible. ( Ive redone every nut and bolt on My camaro....it gets old real quick. Especially after your 2nd blown engine. Im rough on these cars) Im not going to dump a shtiload of money into cosmetics on this car. It is what it is. But I totally respect that you guys are so hardcore about it. I will forever own the bastard child 72/81.....

Lastly....the tops were the original smoked Glass....the same ones that only fetch 200 for my Camaro! They were in mint condition and he didnt want to part with them. He wanted 7500...I offered 6, we settled on 7 without the tops. It may sound like he got the best of me....however.....he had it on ebay with 11 bids and 2 days left...this car would have fetched 8-9 grand on Ebay.....I did good. Ive been researching this for well over a year.

I know its a part together Vette...but Im hooked.....
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Outlawwed Z06
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fastback rear glass tells me that it has a 78-82 rear clip.
the knotchback rear glass is from the 77 and below years.

the front clip also looks 80ish.

hopfully the guy that sold you the car didint just swap the vins on you.

and its your vett, if you love it, thats all that matters.
I plan on building a 75 or older with a 82 front clip, greenwood GTO hood, and 82 rear bumper.
it will be a miss match vett also, but i will have all the things i love about all the C3 ever was in 1 car.

Last edited by Outlawwed Z06; 07-16-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:28 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Shoot me for saying this.....I like the pipes...I love the hood and Im keeping it all. Im not going for accurate...Im not going for period correct and Im not going for a 72/81....I wanted a 454 in a C3 body with as little mechanical work as possible. ( Ive redone every nut and bolt on My camaro....it gets old real quick. Especially after your 2nd blown engine. Im rough on these cars) Im not going to dump a shtiload of money into cosmetics on this car. It is what it is. But I totally respect that you guys are so hardcore about it. I will forever own the bastard child 72/81.....

Lastly....the tops were the original smoked Glass....the same ones that only fetch 200 for my Camaro! They were in mint condition and he didnt want to part with them. He wanted 7500...I offered 6, we settled on 7 without the tops. It may sound like he got the best of me....however.....he had it on ebay with 11 bids and 2 days left...this car would have fetched 8-9 grand on Ebay.....I did good. Ive been researching this for well over a year. I know its a part together Vette...but Im hooked.....
OK, it sounded like you were going for some sort of '81 cohesive look. My mistake.

Makes sense on the tops now.

Enjoy your car. All that matters is that you are happy.

However, anyone who would pay 8 or 9 on ebay would have to be institutionalized. I know there's tons of clueless buyers out there, but thats over the top. Dont get confused by ebay.

How exactly did you "research for well over a year" the market value of a '72 frame and engine with mostly 81 body parts on it? Answer, you didnt, its not possible. If you researched the market you would not for one second believe a car like that would (or should sell) for 8 thousand dollars. Did you actually research "parted together cars" (your words) for a year?

Anyway, drive it like crazy and have fun with it.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:07 AM
Scottd
Drifting

OK, it sounded like you were going for some sort of '81 cohesive look. My mistake.

Makes sense on the tops now.

Enjoy your car. All that matters is that you are happy.

However, anyone who would pay 8 or 9 on ebay would have to be institutionalized. I know there's tons of clueless buyers out there, but thats over the top. Dont get confused by ebay.

How exactly did you "research for well over a year" the market value of a '72 frame and engine with mostly 81 body parts on it? Answer, you didnt, its not possible. If you researched the market you would not for one second believe a car like that would (or should sell) for 8 thousand dollars. Did you actually research "parted together cars" (your words) for a year?

Anyway, drive it like crazy and have fun with it.
Ive been looking at C3's for about a year now. Everything I see on Ebay thats in decent running condition ends at around 7-9 grand, every time. Locally, I would occasionally find one for 6 grand, but they were usually rotted, partially gutted and worn out. Location is everything....you just dont find these cars in this shape in abundance up here.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you seen this car ?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...r-this-is.html
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What is your VIN? All Corvette VINs designate the model year. Based on the pics, I'm guessing you have an 80-82.

Fairly good reading here.

Any of the Corvete histroy coffee table books will have pix.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:39 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
WOW....its almost identical...I had to look twice to be sure it wasnt the same car.

Easy Mike: My VIN (both frame and engine) are a 72. This much is confirmed. I have a 72 with extensive 81 parts. As someone stated earlier, I assume the car had been wrecked previously and someone installed the 81 stuff as a replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To My 72 is a 81...where do I learn body differences? NOOB here.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 AM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

??????? He can't afford to pay the extra $500 bucks to buy the T-Tops , and he should throw the sidepipes away (and replace with a set of duels ? ) ....throw the hood away , and get a replacement and remember to add paint? Get some alloy wheels ? And get some glass tops too? Lets gets the calculator out and add that all up.

And who are we trying to fool? It is what it is. Its something he wants. I've read some of these post and a lot of them are kind of bashing him and putting him on the defencive - for buying something hes taken a year to look for, Come on now kids. Detroit has never made a perfect corvette, so if he found one - I say - good on him.

So good on you Scottd. Welcome to the group - and nice car !

Last edited by couperdecar; 07-16-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by couperdecar
??????? He can't afford to pay the extra $500 bucks to buy the T-Tops , and he should throw the sidepipes away (and replace with a set of duels ? ) ....throw the hood away , and get a replacement and remember to add paint? Get some alloy wheels ? And get some glass tops too? Lets gets the calculator out and add that all up.

And who are we trying to fool? It is what it is. Its something he wants. I've read some of these post and a lot of them are kind of bashing him and putting him on the defencive - for buying something hes taken a year to look for, Come on now kids. Detroit has never made a perfect corvette, so if he found one - I say - good on him.

So good on you Scottd. Welcome to the group - and nice car !
Thanks man. Honestly, no offense taken. Like I said, Im not new to this circuit and I know how opinions may vary on these boards. My only major concern over the 72/81 issue is parts fittment. So, with all the introductions out of the way, let me test some of the more technical aspects and knowledge of the board...

How hot should my 454 run? My manual says a 180' T-stat, and the car runs between 190-210, but I havnt had it out for any extended runs in any kind of hot weather. Has anybody had any experience switching to a 190 or 200 degree in order to keep the coolant in the radiator a little longer for cooling purposes? (No I havnt checked timing yet as a source of extra heat, as the car runs fine....)
Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Thanks man. Honestly, no offense taken. Like I said, Im not new to this circuit and I know how opinions may vary on these boards. My only major concern over the 72/81 issue is parts fittment. So, with all the introductions out of the way, let me test some of the more technical aspects and knowledge of the board...

How hot should my 454 run? My manual says a 180' T-stat, and the car runs between 190-210, but I havnt had it out for any extended runs in any kind of hot weather. Has anybody had any experience switching to a 190 or 200 degree in order to keep the coolant in the radiator a little longer for cooling purposes? (No I havnt checked timing yet as a source of extra heat, as the car runs fine....)
Scott,

It is what it is, and you appear comfortable with that, so just enjoy it! It is obviously licensed by you for the road so the DMV did not kick out a "stolen" ticket when you registered and purchased plates. So it may be a hybrid but a legitimate one.

As for running between 190-210*F I would consider that normal. I would not fool about with the thermostat. You are not far south from me and it looks like 90-93*F ambient tomorrow. That will be a good test of your cooling system (and mine for that matter!).

Quick Reply: My 72 is a 81...where do I learn body differences? NOOB here.