Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calibration point for 'what's this car worth' posts

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Ricknhis69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The market you are in has everything to do with price. I think one thing overlooked here is what I call the checkbook/IRA factor. Those buyers that have (or had) an IRA portfolio that did very well and all of a sudden they are flush with cash and trying to relive their youth and a few (or ten) thousand dollars doesn't really matter to them. There are a LOT of these people out there and they are the ones that have driven the muscle car market to where it is today. I mean $150K for a '67 427? What makes that car worth that much except for the fact that someone wants it bad enough to pay that much. It doesn't even make sense.

As a sidenote you can usually identify them first by the fact that they know very little about their cars, never participate in forums such as this, and never do any of their own work. They show up at car shows to display their prize (which usually has a very high level of desirability which is designed to impress) for a while until they become bored and the nostalgia wears off and then you never see them again. I realize that not everyone is capable of doing their own work and there are exceptions to every rule, but there is (in my book) a big difference between an enthusiast who loves the car and is willing to search high and low for exactly what they are looking for and someone with a lot of disposable cash who is just looking for a fashionable toy. Why do you think you see the same Shelby Mustang 500KR or Hemi 'Cuda sold at auction almost annually to a new buyer?

These buyers would never spend time on an ebay auction, or drive to a barn somewhere to locate a rumored car, or even make a trip to across our northern border to make a purchase. They drop in by appointment to places like Protxxm Corvette with a fat checkbook and do some onestop shopping. Why else would a place like Protxxm be able to command such prices. Because they provide onestop shopping for high quality cars for wealthy people. It's a service. If you have what they want you can double your asking price.

I've been a muscle car enthusiast for nearly 30 years and I spend my days working in the wealth management industry. If you want to see to see this first hand go spend some time at the Bloomington Gold show outside of Chicago. There's a lot of disposable income there and a lot of highly collectible cars. The money flows and hard to find cars are abundant and gorgeous.

(The sad note to all of this is the number of guys that can't afford to own the cars they love because throwaway money for some and classic car dealerships have driven up the prices.)

The point is for every ebay auction you can show me where a C3 just sold dirt cheap I can show you one that sold for $60K and a dealer asking $90K. It's just a matter of supply, demand, the local market, and exposure.

Just some food for thought here, what happens when a lot of this money loses interest or becomes too old to get into a '67 roadster? What happens when a lot of the collectors out there start dying off? (The collectors market for Lionel and other toy trains made in the 1930's & 40's is feeling this effect now.) Or even worse, what happens if there is a big push to do away with the fuel that these cars burn? Ethanol is already an issue as is octane levels. The government out of the blue decided to ban light bulbs, do you think they couldn't do something drastic that would affect this market?

There are too many factors at work here to ever have callibration points.

IMHO

Last edited by Ricknhis69; 04-11-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:40 AM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Default overseas factor

One other thing that I left out...

Many wealthy overseas buyers for these cars in Denmark, Germany etc.

I have personally seen 8-10 cars over the past year on consignment through dealers that were crazy overpriced that were all sold to overseas buyers.

Not sure of final selling prices...but add taxes overseas and container shipping of at least $1500-$2000 and you get the point.

72 vert BB 4 speed AC car needing paint with $60k asking price sold.
70 vert BB 4 speed AC car missing all AC components with $72k ask
68 vert BB Auto car AC car converted to 4 speed with 65k ask
68 vert 400 horse AC car that ended up being restamp with $90k ask.

You get the point...its not just factors in the US that are driving the market.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:36 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

I am always amazed at the way that vintage Corvette owners do their level best to talk down the prices of their cars. I'm not sure what the operative issue is here, but it seems like most of us are ashamed of our rides or something. In a world where Camaros, Novas and Chevelles are going for monster prices, us Vette afficianados continue to hold that line against price/value creep. That 68 was just one example.

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-11-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I am always amazed at the way that vintage Corvette owners do their level best to talk down the prices of their cars. I'm not sure what the operative issue is here, but it seems like most of us are ashamed of our rides or something. In a world where Camaros, Novas and Chevelles are going for monster prices, us Vette afficianados continue to hold that line against price/value creep. That 68 was just one example.

The reason to a degree is that they are enthusiasts and they love their cars. The price going up does very little to benefit an enthusiast unless he is also a buyer and seller. I remember many people through the late '70s and the '80s getting excited about how their cars were worth so much more than they bought them. But soon, they found out what that really meant.

On the plus side, the hobby became very profitable for suppliers, so virtually every part you ever needed became available. No more searching junkyards and boxes of junk at Bloomington to find a part that might be serviceable. You could get a new part. However, as the price on cars climbed, so did the price on parts.

When your paint finally faded and you wanted it like new again, you discovered those $500 paint jobs we had when these cars cost little were now $5000.

When you sold yours because you grew tired and were ready for that next one, you were thrilled at the huge profit you made, but soon you discovered you didn't sell it for nearly enough to get into the next one.

It is kind of like surfing. As long as you stay on the wave, you can ride it and have a good time. But fall off the wave, and you have to put a lot of effort into getting back on.

If these stayed the $3000 sports cars they were 30 years ago, most investors would have stayed out of the game. The prices would stay about the same, and the enthusiasts would have been able to have their '79 for awhile, then the '69 they loved in high school, then trade for a '66 like they remember their uncle having, and so on. Car enthusiasts would have continued to lose money on their hobby, but that is how hobbies are. You spend money to be happy and have fun, not to make a profit. Then you are a business.

Today, you might get that '79 for $10,000 but when you sell it, you have to put some serious bread with it to get the '69. And when you sell it, it is going to take a lot more to get that '66.

The Chevelle and Camaro guys haven't figured that out yet. It is still great to sell this piece of rusted out junk they bought for $500 and sell it for $5000. Or the decent old driver they have had for 20 years and paid $5000 for it then and discover they are getting $30,000 for it now.

But when they try to replace it, it will be every dime they got going to get the next one.

Of course, you can buy every single piece you need to restore an old Camaro or Chevelle today. But at what price?

When a '67 Corvette was just an old car and cost about $2000, any car nut could have one. But when they became collector items, only the rich can afford them at $100,000 and more.

True, the rich could always afford them, but as just old cars, they didn't want them. As collector items, they do.

A lot of this is why the current generation of car nuts are driving Hondas, Toyotas, Suzukis, and Mazdas. They buy them for under $5000, put $2000 - $3000 of go fast parts on it, and have a car that will eat your $60,000 collectible for lunch, from any stop light, all day long.

Personally, I wish they all went back to being $3000 old sports cars, like the old MGs, Triumphs, and such still are. I'd drive a different Corvette every 6 months if they were. Personally, I think that would be a lot neater than saying my C3 is now worth $xx,xxx.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
The reason to a degree is that they are enthusiasts and they love their cars. The price going up does very little to benefit an enthusiast unless he is also a buyer and seller. I remember many people through the late '70s and the '80s getting excited about how their cars were worth so much more than they bought them. But soon, they found out what that really meant.

On the plus side, the hobby became very profitable for suppliers, so virtually every part you ever needed became available. No more searching junkyards and boxes of junk at Bloomington to find a part that might be serviceable. You could get a new part. However, as the price on cars climbed, so did the price on parts.

When your paint finally faded and you wanted it like new again, you discovered those $500 paint jobs we had when these cars cost little were now $5000.

When you sold yours because you grew tired and were ready for that next one, you were thrilled at the huge profit you made, but soon you discovered you didn't sell it for nearly enough to get into the next one.

It is kind of like surfing. As long as you stay on the wave, you can ride it and have a good time. But fall off the wave, and you have to put a lot of effort into getting back on.

If these stayed the $3000 sports cars they were 30 years ago, most investors would have stayed out of the game. The prices would stay about the same, and the enthusiasts would have been able to have their '79 for awhile, then the '69 they loved in high school, then trade for a '66 like they remember their uncle having, and so on. Car enthusiasts would have continued to lose money on their hobby, but that is how hobbies are. You spend money to be happy and have fun, not to make a profit. Then you are a business.

Today, you might get that '79 for $10,000 but when you sell it, you have to put some serious bread with it to get the '69. And when you sell it, it is going to take a lot more to get that '66.

The Chevelle and Camaro guys haven't figured that out yet. It is still great to sell this piece of rusted out junk they bought for $500 and sell it for $5000. Or the decent old driver they have had for 20 years and paid $5000 for it then and discover they are getting $30,000 for it now.

But when they try to replace it, it will be every dime they got going to get the next one.

Of course, you can buy every single piece you need to restore an old Camaro or Chevelle today. But at what price?

When a '67 Corvette was just an old car and cost about $2000, any car nut could have one. But when they became collector items, only the rich can afford them at $100,000 and more.

True, the rich could always afford them, but as just old cars, they didn't want them. As collector items, they do.

A lot of this is why the current generation of car nuts are driving Hondas, Toyotas, Suzukis, and Mazdas. They buy them for under $5000, put $2000 - $3000 of go fast parts on it, and have a car that will eat your $60,000 collectible for lunch, from any stop light, all day long.

Personally, I wish they all went back to being $3000 old sports cars, like the old MGs, Triumphs, and such still are. I'd drive a different Corvette every 6 months if they were. Personally, I think that would be a lot neater than saying my C3 is now worth $xx,xxx.
Interesting take on the matter. Do all 66, 67, or 69 Corvettes sell in the price ranges you quote? Strikes me some of the prices you quote are for collectible, numbers cars. If an enthusiast just wants an old Corvette to drive, aren't the non originals significantly cheaper?

The huge increase in cost of a paint job is most likely traceable to the EPA and regulations imposed on body shops. I was just informed by a body shop that a complete paint job could easily cost $20k. I was also told that it's becoming tougher for non trained individuals to obtain quality refinishing products, fear of liability, only sell to professionals. A trend?

So far as talking down prices it seems to me much depends on what the poster's interests are, what fragment of the Corvette market they are in, original, non original, chrome bumper, rubber bumber, convertible, coupe, etc. When someone talks down a price I suspect they're not talking about what they own. More likely talking down someone else's car. Some owners can be very passionate about the group they fall into, view the others as inferior?

Are the other markets as divided as the Corvette market appears to be?

So far as value increase not buying us much, that's true if we stay in the game, sell one buy another. A bit like our homes. If we're thinking we'll get out of them one day, never buy another, the increase could be looked at as a way to repay us for what we spent on them during the period of ownership.

I'm not so sure this market will keep going up. Much depends on whether the current interest level increases. These cars mean the most to people who grew up with them. The younger generations may not see them the same way.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM
elealusaf
Advanced

I'm not so sure this market will keep going up. Much depends on whether the current interest level increases. These cars mean the most to people who grew up with them. The younger generations may not see them the same way.

I don't believe we do... if im going to spend 50K on a car its going to be on doing something like this maybe not as extreme but i'd much rather have that than a numbers 69 IMGHO

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...tom-coupe.html

Second a car shouldn't be an investment just like a house shouldn't once you take into consideration finance charges and maintenance you never come out ahead... especially these cars don't 'invest' and put money into your car for the resale or let it sit in the garage ... i see it as a disservice to your car, yourself as well the general public to let these cars sit in a garage and not see pavement and not get washed more than once a year...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...and-water.html
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by elealusaf

I don't believe we do... if im going to spend 50K on a car its going to be on doing something like this maybe not as extreme but i'd much rather have that than a numbers 69 IMGHO

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...tom-coupe.html
That's what I was thinking. The importance of 'originality' may be of interest only to those collecting the cars as rare antiques. If this is the case, the number of buyers interested in paying mega $$ for originals diminishing, new buyers looking for restomods, we may see a flip in pricing between 'originals' and restomods? It may be interesting to see which way the market goes in the next 5 to 10 years. Will originals recover from the slump we've seen in the last few years and keep climbing as some expect or have they peaked and may continue to slide down?

Originally Posted by elealusaf
Second a car shouldn't be an investment just like a house shouldn't once you take into consideration finance charges and maintenance you never come out ahead... especially these cars don't 'invest' and put money into your car for the resale or let it sit in the garage ... i see it as a disservice to your car, yourself as well the general public to let these cars sit in a garage and not see pavement and not get washed more than once a year...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...and-water.html
If we assume the prices will keep climbing, the assumption is this will offset the cost of ownership, possibly make some money. I think this is what many owners are after. There may be some who regard a rare version to be like a painting, keeping it parked for the most part. I agree, if investment were the major goal, better find something else to invest in.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Interesting take on the matter. Do all 66, 67, or 69 Corvettes sell in the price ranges you quote? Strikes me some of the prices you quote are for collectible, numbers cars. If an enthusiast just wants an old Corvette to drive, aren't the non originals significantly cheaper?

The prices on '66 and '67s are all over the map. You find some C2s in the low $30,000 occasionally (moreso now with the economy) that would be fun drivers. Typically, you find most in the $50,000 range. You get into big block territory and prices can jump all over. My old '67 coupe sold a year and a half ago on eBay for $67,000. Real big block car, just not original engine, I'm 95% sure. In 2007, it sold around $100,000, so prices can jump all over. Some 435 hp cars still bump the $150,000 mark and above. And a lot depends on the venue - Barrett Jackson seems to boost the price significantly.

For a '69, it varies a lot on model, options, and so on. You might find them on the very low side in the low teens but typically jump into mid $20s and one up to the mid $40s for the right ones.

Throw an L88 or an L89 into any of these and the price becomes what are you willing to spend.

This is one reason car guides like Kelly Blue Book and others have numbers people quote as "value" are ridiculous to consider.

As to the prices dying off, they will. The economy is changing so there aren't daily millionaires being made and people aren't making $200,000 windfalls on their houses so spending $100,000 on a Corvette has lost a lot of priority.

Many who wanted one when new but couldn't afford it, had a family, etc. bought while flush with cash a few years ago, but now, those people are in their 60s and 70s and are not as likely to be buying like they were. They need to save what they have to ensure not eating cat food before they die, thanks to the new economy.

This has already happened with Model Ts, where those who grew up with them are dead and gone. You'd be amazed at the ones on eBay for under $15,000.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...c0.m282&_rdc=1

The same with Model As. The ones that are high are a few very rare and professionally restored cars and many hot rods. This is where Corvettes will no doubt go in another 10 years, the resto rods will be the big bucks and the restored cars will be way down.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

My old '67 coupe sold a year and a half ago on eBay for $67,000. Real big block car, just not original engine, I'm 95% sure. In 2007, it sold around $100,000, so prices can jump all over.
Funny how the market has evolved over the last 30 years. I also had a 67 big block NOM, a roadster. So far as I know it was a real big block car. I ended up driving it to Carlisle one year, no real plans to sell. The paint was very rough, chassis needed a lot of tightening. Motor I believe was an LS6 454 (wish I kept it). Throughout the day I had people waiting for me by the car to ask if I'd sell. I ended up selling it for something like $8700. The fellow who bought it claimed he could sell it for $15K with new paint. Good for him, I had no shop to work in at the time so painting wasn't an option for me. Funny to hear of these cars going for $67K or $100K now with non original motors....

It seems the C3 market is much more sensitive to being original than the C2 market? From what I read there seems to be a big price difference between a big block C3 which has the original block vs one which does not. It also seems the C2's are way ahead of C3's in price, even if we limit the C3's to chrome bumper years.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Manuel Azevedo
Looking at this car seeing rust but not bad on the bottom seats coming apart, parts missing under the hood,(smog pump for one) paint peeling I believe for the most part alot of people here would've been saying prices about 10 to 12 grand tops!! This is really a rough car and will look even rougher in real life also. Just my .50cents!!

If someone had put this one up in a "What's it Worth" thread, there is no way I would have said anything near $20,000. I think of good condtion sb '68 - '69 verts as $20,000-$22,000, and this car is far from good condition. If the motor was done right, that is worth some bucks, but with that paint and interior, I'd never get back to $20K no matter how much I threw in for the motor.

No doubt though, it is easier to gather data on asking prices, than selling prices.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
dry
Instructor

I pretty much agree with all that was stated and very well put by the way!!

What really suks about this thread is the HARD TRUTH! You either have alot of disposable cash or you don't "By the way I don't" and that ultimately determines where we all are able to play at in the Muscle car or collector car market. As it has always been said "He with the GOLD makes the rules" or in the Muscle car market sets how high the bar is.

I am not saying having excess cash is bad, but if everbody had it the out of site values of any muscle car wouldn't even be a concern. In that case only the True Rare Cars would be commanding out of site $$$ because those truly rare cars are in very very limited numbers meaning everybody couldn't have one regardless how much much money you have. Remember there were only a handful of limited production cars to begin with "That is the real collector car market in my opinion".

Nothing has really changed over the years it has always been "you can only play with what you can afford to pay" and that is what has always seperated those in any hobby market from entry level project or driver all the way to the NCRS or Even FOOSE Pro street car.

Whether we have tons of personal wealth or not we must not loose sight of what it is we all have in common and that is the HIGH we get off the Muscle Car from back in the day (It shouldn't be about how much it is worth, it should be about am I fortunate enough to be able to own one in any condition as a Hobby), because here again we all are trying to achieve one thing and that is as much VETTE as we can actually afford to own. Probably for most we hundred dollar bill ourselves to death trying to get one on the road or looking sharp enough for small time local car shows or cruise worthy!! .......

Just my 02 worth...

Quick Reply: Calibration point for 'what's this car worth' posts