Sponsored by:

I Feel Sick...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:43 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default I Feel Sick...

About to let someone else work on my car for the first time. Not that it'll be the last but I was just hoping to do everything myself...
Now if someone asks if I did all the work myself i'll have to say no.

Getting the #2/3 body mounts welded on. I have a welder but not the time or skill yet to attempt it. I'd rather someone helped me, letting it get back on the road quicker.

Also, how bad, be honest. Easiest way to fix? I know they make replacement parts for this area but i didn't know if the welder could patch it together for a while longer till my skills got good enough to fix it... If it can't be patched i can tell you I won't be getting it fixed till I can do it myself....

Old 03-22-2011, 08:23 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm guessing the differential crossmember probably has a lot of weak metal in it also. Those areas you show in the pics are criticial structural points so a good repair is very important.

My original 72 frame looked similar. That's why I decided to replace the frame. I was concerned that the rest of the metal was thinner than it should be and might become a safety issue.

Rick B.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look for a replacement.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, it cannot wait... your entire rear suspension hangs from those pockets. I am of the opinion from looking at your photos that an effective repair might be a challenge seeing the inside of the "pockets" and seeing the rust induced swelling and separation in the structure. The only way I am aware of to repair such delamination is to cut it out and replace the damaged steel. I am glad you decided to seek assistance here and hope the person you have coming to look has previous frame repair experience. From where I sit this is not a simple "plate it from the outside and call it good" situation.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
HerFirstVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Seriously? Looks like you and I are in the same situation. The only difference is I felt *relieved* to drop my frame off with a pro, knowing that I wouldn't screw up the very foundation my entire project is based on.

With mine, I had some pack rust (just like yours) so I bought two new kick-up reinforcements from Paragon. Here's a link ---> https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...cement-lh.aspx

The fab guy cut the old ones off and removed the pack rust. While he was in there he cut in a few patches too. I have mine back now and I'm glad I didn't try to fix this myself. I don't regret it for a second.

I can take better pics if you're interested. Here's a few before and after pics....and yes, mine was much worse than yours appears to be.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM
BARRY L-48
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace the frame if you can,you'd feel alot more sick if rolling down the road one day,the rear end of your car passes you by!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

That's kinda why i didn't want to post these, not for the honesty but for some of the comments that I don't find fitting or useful.

OTHER than replacing i'd rather hear about option for fixing....as it's either sell what's left and not own it or fix mine with what i have at my disposal(other than my millions of dollars i'd like to keep to roll around in on my bed when i get lonely)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Not that bad. I've seen many frames worse. Weld in new metal. It will be fine and good for another 40 years.

Definitely seek a professional welder. Know your limitations and don't feel bad about getting help. This is 100% your project.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:07 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Clubby99
Not that bad. I've seen many frames worse. Weld in new metal. It will be fine and good for another 40 years.

Definitely seek a professional welder. Know your limitations and don't feel bad about getting help. This is 100% your project.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

I guess i'll throw a little more fuel on the fire....I'm taking it to an Amish welder
Old 03-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have worked with some Amish guys and they are very good craftsman. I would not hesitate to have them weld up the frame.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Spacecoast
Drifting

Check out GD70's thread and see what can be done..

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...y-vette-3.html

I am thinking this is very fixable after seeing the above thread.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I have worked with some Amish guys and they are very good craftsman. I would not hesitate to have them weld up the frame.
yeah. Everyone around here takes their stuff there and at $36/hr it's hard to beat. They'll do/fix almost anything with high quality from what i hear. I guess we'll find out next week...

It's just for the normal person with not much knowledge of the Amish probably don't picture them welding car frames....
Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

This might come in handy in the future...if you ever want a roof put on or a pole barn/shop built, it's hard to beat the Amish for speed, quality, and price.

BTW, I think your frame looks OK and very fixable. There's looks like a lot of solid metal there...and just being sandblasted you know exactly what is left is good. Hard to tell in the pics, but the fronts of the kickups and the rails look very solid too.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

If you have a mig welder already, it should take you about a week of practice to develop the skills to repair that yourself. A few dollars worth of scrap metals in the like thickness of the frame material from a local scrap yard will get you going. Talk to your welder for advice or direction if you need, then it will still be " all yours"
Old 03-23-2011, 02:44 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't look at this "sublet" as a setback or a show of you limitations, a real pro knows when to call in an expert and doesn't let his pride get in the way. You're on the right track having an expert do these inportant repairs.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:52 PM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Dont worry... Great frame to start with and in condition 9 of 10!!!!! Ive repaired a lot worse that shouldve been scrapped.... but done correctly and some extra strength welds put in and youll be fine...

Get notified of new replies

To I Feel Sick...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Slvr77
Advanced

The way I would look at it - the sooner you get help from the pro's, the sooner you will be on your way to driving it!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can buy a decent frame at Carlisle for about 900 bucks (I did in 2006, a '77 primed and painted), let that be your guide.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

$328.07

Quick Reply: I Feel Sick...