C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys I need expertise on deciphering a car. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 AM
Doc Sab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys I need expertise on deciphering a car. Help.

Guys.
I am a learning neophite. I have put a large deposit on a 69 vette. It is a Daytona yellow convertible with a black soft top.
Here is what he says .....
A 1969 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ROADSTER.* NUMBERS MATCHING 427CI/390HP, LM SUFFIX CODE, CASTING NUMBER 3963512, VIN 194679S720930, 4 SPEED MUNCIE, CORRECT SIDE MOUNT EXHAUST SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE TO 1969 C3 CORVETTES.* DAYTONA YELLOW WITH BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR AND BLACK SOFT TOP.*

Was this car born a big block ? The pad is stamped and everything looks ok. The seller says it was genuine. Anything you can supply me with would help me. Thanx a million!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Mad Vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fourth digit in you vin a 6 means it's a convertible and the engine casting number 3963512 is a later half 69 427. You need the vin derivative off the stamping pad to know for sure if this car has the original engine.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Restamps/clones/fakes that will fool 90% of casual observers are easyish to do and are very common. Post a clear picture of the engine pad here to let people see if this one is even a 'maybe'. There was an LM pad photo posted here the other day that was just laughably bad. Possibly the same car..........

For ANY car, spend a couple hundred bucks and have a professional inspect it for you before you buy not after.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Here's the engine codes. What does the Trim Tag on the door pillar say? The VIN will also be stamped on the trannie case.

Gary

Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DS,
I guess if you've put a 'large' deposit on this car, the PRICE will be LARGE too!
I really agree with Mike that you need to find and pay someone who's VERY knowlegable about 69 BB cars to help you evaluate this car.
It could well be a GREAT car but it might be a nightmare (or somewhere in between). There are good people out there to help you. The small amount you pay them will be well spent in the long run.
Regards,
Alan

PS: No one has mentioned the MOST dreaded word in old Corvettes...RUST!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Doc Sab
...Was this car born a big block?...
That's anybody's guess. The VIN will not identify the original engine. You will want original documentation with the car and perhaps an expert appraisal.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 460 Likes on 272 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Curious about the price / documentation / owner history / ????
Old 10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've given a "large" deposit and still have questions this elementary about the car?
Do you realize how many people there are trying to scam people like you out there?
Hopefully, you're dealing with someone with a reputation in the Corvette community.
You'd better be in church early tomorrow!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:24 PM
2bubbas
Drifting

Originally Posted by schmegeggie
You've given a "large" deposit and still have questions this elementary about the car?
Do you realize how many people there are trying to scam people like you out there?
Hopefully, you're dealing with someone with a reputation in the Corvette community.
You'd better be in church early tomorrow!
Was thinking much the same thing myself-
Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Doc Sab
Advanced

Schmegegie and the gang. I could not find anyone in Missouri to look at the 69. The person is a reputable dealer. The underside has normal underside grime. There looked like a picture of the side pipe in your response. Is it the same car? I asked the dealer about rust and said the entire car was solid and that the car was not tampered with. He relates that the car had a large build up of paint and he scraped the vin pad to see it clearly. Then he shot orange over it to keep it protected.

How is anyone sure about anything one buys if you were not the original purchaser? Maybe if u bought it from an old lady original owner. Documentation is faked too.

Who has the pic of the stamp pad of the car mentioned and can someone repost it so I can tell? Is it the same vin number?

Last edited by Doc Sab; 10-24-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Schmegegie and the gang. I could not find anyone in Missouri to look at the 69. The person is a reputable dealer. The underside has normal underside grime. There looked like a picture of the side pipe in your response. Is it the same car? I asked the dealer about rust and said the entire car was solid and that the car was not tampered with. He relates that the car had a large build up of paint and he scraped the vin pad to see it clearly. Then he shot orange over it to keep it protected.

How is anyone sure about anything one buys if you were not the original purchaser? Maybe if u bought it from an old lady original owner. Documentation is faked too.

Now I am scared to move in any direction.

Who has the pic of the stamp pad of the car mentioned and can someone repost it so I can tell? Is it the same vin number?
I believe this is the post.

Gary
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-thoughts.html
Old 10-24-2009, 01:13 PM
427-390
Drifting

Now I am scared to move in any direction.

I don't know where to begin after seeing this reply. Doc Sab, there are plenty of Corvette enthusiasts in all 50 states. People on the CF, local Corvette clubs in the state you reside or where the car is located, the NCRS. All of these resources are there and for a nominal fee, will be happy to examine and inspect a Corvette for you. I don't know about you, but when making a large purchase of any kind, real estate, appliances, vintage Corvettes, etc... it is best to find as much information possible about the item in question BEFORE you lay down the money. There is a saying that goes like this "When in doubt, there is doubt". After reading your reply above, it looks like you now have doubts. I am not here to bash, but you should have started here first or by contacting a Corvette enthusiast site or club to gain information on these cars and to have it inspected before you put down a deposit. I truly hope the car is in good, if not in great shape, but taking the word of a dealer as your only source of the quality of a car could cost you a lot of money if it isn't what it's purported to be. Right now, I would be making friends and contacts to have the car inspected before you finish the transaction. Good luck and I hope that it turns out well for you.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Doc Sab
Advanced

Duke Thanx for that... my pad stamp look original I will try to post it.. How can I?
Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 427-390
I don't know where to begin after seeing this reply. Doc Sab, there are plenty of Corvette enthusiasts in all 50 states. People on the CF, local Corvette clubs in the state you reside or where the car is located, the NCRS. All of these resources are there and for a nominal fee, will be happy to examine and inspect a Corvette for you. I don't know about you, but when making a large purchase of any kind, real estate, appliances, vintage Corvettes, etc... it is best to find as much information possible about the item in question BEFORE you lay down the money. There is a saying that goes like this "When in doubt, there is doubt". After reading your reply above, it looks like you now have doubts. I am not here to bash, but you should have started here first or by contacting a Corvette enthusiast site or club to gain information on these cars and to have it inspected before you put down a deposit. I truly hope the car is in good, if not in great shape, but taking the word of a dealer as your only source of the quality of a car could cost you a lot of money if it isn't what it's purported to be. Right now, I would be making friends and contacts to have the car inspected before you finish the transaction. Good luck and I hope that it turns out well for you.
and the reputable dealer should supply you with tons of pics of EVERY aspect of the car. I would demand it. If they send pics to you, post them se we can give you a better assessment of the Vette.
Good luck and I hope you can get your deposit back if it's not what it's represented to be.
Glenn
Old 10-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Doc Sab
Advanced

Why Do I need to go to church? I didn't do anything wrong. I am learning. I paid for the car after about 100 pictures were sent to me. I feel fairly confident... as confident as most could be. There is no perfect car.. even at a million dollars. I am paying a fair price.. if it turns out to be a good driver.. so be it.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Doc Sab
Advanced

Originally Posted by GD70
and the reputable dealer should supply you with tons of pics of EVERY aspect of the car. I would demand it. If they send pics to you, post them se we can give you a better assessment of the Vette.
Good luck and I hope you can get your deposit back if it's not what it's represented to be.
Glenn
Thanx Glenn.. I have done so.. and he sent me about 100 pix. How do I upload here to show the stamp pad?
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Doc Sab
Advanced

Originally Posted by GD70
Glenn
Originally Posted by 427-390
Thanx Schmeg!

Get notified of new replies

To Guys I need expertise on deciphering a car. Help.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Doc Sab
Advanced

How can I Upload a photo without a URL associated with it? I have pix... but can't figure out how to show you.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:54 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanx Glenn.. I have done so.. and he sent me about 100 pix. How do I upload here to show the stamp pad?
Open a free account on photobucket.com
Once set up, through photobucket, download the pics from your PC. After they have downloaded, copy the IMG codes & paste in the post. That's it.
Glenn
Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Ravine Speed
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why Do I need to go to church? I didn't do anything wrong. I am learning. I paid for the car after about 100 pictures were sent to me. I feel fairly confident... as confident as most could be. There is no perfect car.. even at a million dollars. I am paying a fair price.. if it turns out to be a good driver.. so be it.
Then why are you asking for our help.

You should have done some diligence, including inspecting the car or having someone else do it before you freaked out and came here.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Guys I need expertise on deciphering a car. Help.