Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Hi Stan;

Good info, thanks.

I was pretty sure I recalled that the orange car was born as an orange car.

Gracias Amigo.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:49 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Whittington
Amazing to me that after all these years the tank sticker shows up for the white car. All there was prior was the letter from the original owner. The L/88 would pull 535 to 565 hp at 6,500 rpms, in stock trim with dyno headers. The ZL-1 would pull a few more on the dyno, but due to the distortion of the cylinder walls when the engine got hot, it would actually pull about 10-15 hp less than the L/88 when both were prepped identically.

I don't know much about the cars, but I bought my first L/88 engine in early 1970 and have owned one or two of the cars.
There is no way a ZL1 puts out 100hp more than a second design L88. I would bet that the L88 would put out slightly more power for the reasons Dick stated. As for the documentation, if they have not been carbon dated, then I would question their authenticity.
BTW I have a couple of friends that own ZL 1 camaros and it dynoed at 540hp with headers. That same person dynoed his L88 and it put out 557hp on the same dyno.

Last edited by SBR; 09-22-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
Hi Stan;

Good info, thanks.

I was pretty sure I recalled that the orange car was born as an orange car.

Gracias Amigo.
Had this issue come up earlier, we could have asked John the question directly- he was at the VH site at Carlisle with Clem.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:54 PM
BoeingDriver
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
If I had Donnally's money and dropping several million dollars on a 1969 Corvette was an option, the only car that I would make an offer on (at this point in time) is the Daytona yellow car that Roger owns.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Don't forget about Donnally's ultra fine 69 L89? Dubious ownership history but everything else is 'Right On'
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 263 Posts

You son of a...

Regards,

Stan (I want my car back) Falenski
Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has any one every tryed this method??

figuring how many ZL-1s were made.
then seeing how many went into Camaros, chevells (dont know if they went into them)
how many for sure went as crate engines. how many went MIA ie Zora took them to his skunk works.

then seeing how many went to for sure known ZL-1 vette and dealer converted cars. after all that see whats left over and then you should have an idea how many ZL-1 vettes could be out there give or take an few either way.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A good idea if one motor/one car applied. It does not however as many were used in Can Ams, hydroplanes and drag cars (often more than one as they were built on the edge for racing and blown up). That being said, aluminum is easier to fix than steel, so how many were written off by top teams, sold as scrap to second or third tier teams and salvaged (using two or more to get one good one)? /:\
Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Blue71vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rowdy Rat
Ed,

Good to see you posting here!

Was that the first or second tank sticker this car showed up with?

I did a pre-purchase inspection for a gentleman who was interested in buying this car a few years ago. The trim tag was the real deal and was definitely coded for Monaco orange... End of story.

What I have learned from my research:

Chevrolet records indicate two ZL-1 optioned Corvettes were produced for sale during the 1969 model year.

There is no supporting evidence that these Chevrolet records are 100% accurate or complete.

The ownership history and documentation on the Daytona yellow car is sufficient to convince me that it was originally built as a ZL-1 Corvette at the St. Louis assembly plant.

There is no supporting evidence that the Daytona yellow car is one of the two that Chevrolet claims that they built for sale. It might be, but there is no documentation to prove that it is.

The remaining cars (Monaco orange, Can Am white, and Lemans blue) have issues to varying degrees. That doesn't mean that they were not originally ZL-1 cars, but it does create doubt as to what they originally were built as.

I am unaware of a Riverside gold car. Not to say that there wasn't one, but in 30 years of fanatically tracking Corvettes of this era, I think that I would have heard something about it.

If I had Donnally's money and dropping several million dollars on a 1969 Corvette was an option, the only car that I would make an offer on (at this point in time) is the Daytona yellow car that Roger owns.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Stan,

Thanks for your comments.

The red ZL1 press demonstration car was a coupe not a convertible. This further reinforces your comments above about the Monoco Orange convertible.

Sincerely,

Greg Fadler
Old 11-26-2009, 07:00 PM
COPO TOM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you know all about these cars and engines how do you not mention (or seem to know)that there were two versions of the L-88. Why was the ZL-1 engine having to be slipped out of the factory in corvettes, when they were putting ZL-1's in camaros? I believe I remember magazines of the period telling of RPO ZL-1, (RPO meaning Regular Production Option), and giving a list price for it when ordered on a 1969 corvette. Too many questions for me to buy into all of this. I guess it doesn't matter as I have never had the money to play in this league, but I don't like to see false / mis-leading information put out either. Like the time (about 1971) I heard about a cop car that was special ordered with a ZL-1 engine, and the factory built it. It was suppost to be in a junk yard near where I was living at the time, and the motor was still in it because nobody knew what it was. Yeah right. Because of that rumor, there may still be someone who believes there were cop cars built that way.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

In the Spring issue of Muscle Cars Magazine The White car was featured. The build sheet then showed the engine as L88 at $1032.15.
In the Dec. 1991 issue of Vette magazine, the Orange car was featured. The article doesn't say Mr. Maher ordered the car. It says that he got a call from a salesman at a local dealership asking if he would be interested in a ZL1 powered Vette. Since it had a Turbo 400, he said yes.
At the time of the article, the tank sticker showed the engine as a
ZL-1 "Special Turbo-Jet" 427.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Big Block 69
Racer

Since alot of us are not able to go to high profile car shows and talk to the actual owners due to geographic location or scheduling conflicts, etc. we have to rely on what is printed in magazines.
The Corvette Fever article and the Vette Magazine article were worlds apart on what was said about the Orange car. One said that Mr. Maher Ordered his ZL1 from Don Yenko and traded his 68 L88 on it. Then someone from Gulf had to get involved with Chevrolet to make sure the car got built.
The other article (I'm sure there were more than just these, but that's all I have seen) says that Mr. Maher sold his 68 L88 to Don Yenko, then later got a call from a salesman at a local dealership to see if he would be interested in a ZL1 that they already had.
While these articles didn't say exactly the same thing about how the car was aquired, they did say the paper work showed the car as a factory built ZL1.
The "ORIGINAL" paperwork on the White car seems to have changed from the mid-80's when it said L88, then it was lost for a while to now when it shows ZL1.
All the articles I've seen on the Yellow car seem to start at the beginning and say basically the same thing.
The Blue one and Gold one are nice surprises & It will be very interesting to hear their stories. But with companies advertising their services to reproduce engine pad stamps & broach marks and other companies offering "aged" paperwork, anything can pop up now.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Block 69
...Since alot of us are not able to go to high profile car shows and talk to the actual owners due to geographic location or scheduling conflicts, etc. we have to rely on what is printed in magazines....
Read with interest, yes. Rely upon, no. It doesn't take long to learn some of the media authors have no real knowledge of what they are writing about. They know of Corvettes without knowing about Corvettes. They tend to regurgitate hackneyed Corvette phrases and quote Corvette Black Book statistics. The photo spread might be nice, but the text won't say much.

Thankfully, there are several Corvette authors who know their stuff. Those are the folks you can rely on. I always check the author before delving into the text.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Big Block 69
Racer

Easy Mike,
You are exactly right! I am often guilty of thinking "I read it in a magazine, so it MUST be true". I need to get rid of that mindset. Often different Magazines contradict each other with articles about the same car. My problem is that even though an author has some facts mixed up, he still knows more than I do.
Forums such as this one are a great tool for learning & I appreciate the help I receive from everyone.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Big Block 69
...I am often guilty of thinking "I read it in a magazine, so it MUST be true"....
Live and learn.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Iliad
Racer

Default Re: Zl-1

I have a copy of the March 2006 Corvette Fever Mag. with the article on John Maher's Orange ZL-1. The original tank sticker is shown with the legendary ZL-1 engine option with Auto Trans and ordered in Monoco Orange. If this tank sticker is indeed the original then this proves that this is an original factory installed ZL-1. I heard that John sold this car recently, can anybody confirm this?

Last edited by Iliad; 01-13-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 AM
ZL1Johnny
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious as to the BLOCKS in these cars...were they all 3946052's? I have a ZL-1 / Can Am Prototype block, Casting:0-294550, Stamp Pad: 70065 53-W. Was wondering of the possibility of this block ever being in a test mule. Ii's a 427 (sleeved (.040 over) Mech fuel pump provision, dry sump, no date). I've also acquired some NEAT paperwork from GM engineering with the casting numbers and Build Work Order numbers listed...as well as "PROCURE MARK IV ALUMINUM CYLINDER AND CASES For test (1969 Corvette)"...Program 28600 (Nov. 1967). Design Ordere No. 17230-133 / (Interestingly, the same Build Work Order Number). Also have docs dated '68 regarding "18 Aluminum L-88 type 427 cu. in. engines"....subsequently changed to Quantity of 44 in March '68 (Design Order number 19950-17 / Build Work Order: 70065-53 (MY BLOCK's STAMP PAD NUMER). Zora's, Piggins, Devine, Ellis, Polkinghorne etc..involvement. ANY help on this block would be GREATLY appreciated. ZL1Johnny@YAHOO.Com
Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 71 zr2
Yes he sold it last year, It's in a Museum
Too bad! .. at least Maher was showing/driving the car, now it will stay in a museum for the rest of her life.

Do you know how much he sold it for? it should at least be a 7 figures.

Get notified of new replies

To Missing ZL-1?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:48 AM
1968-72 Corvette PR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddyvet
I am considering writing a book about the ZL-1s as their story is truely unique and quite interesting.
Please DO write the book !! I ENCOURAGE you to write the book !! Your book is BADLY NEEDED !!! Writing the book is the step in the correct direction ! If you do write the book, which I hope, I CERTAINLY will buy a copy of it !! Please write the book !!

By the way, my avatar is the 1969 Corvette ZL1 Saturday Night Special, the test car that later got the 454 LT2 prototype engine that never saw production. What do you have to say about the Corvette in my avatar ?

Once again, please DO write the book.

Have a nice week end !

José, from Puerto Rico
Old 08-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomi72
You can spot the yellow #2 Corvette in Steve McQueens "Le Mans" movie a couple of times (just for a few seconds though). The pieces of actual race footage used in the film were filmed at the 1970 race.
You sure about this? As far as I remember it was a T-Top in the movie. And that particular car (L-88) belonged at the time to Jo Siffert, a Swiss Formula 1 driver. That car is still alive and kicking. Looky here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-corvette.html

Yodeling greets from Switzerland ,

Martin
Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

And don't forget this one, a Motion ZL-1 (suposedly)

Quick Reply: Missing ZL-1?