C3 or C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 08:20 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
I'm talking percentage here. C3's have already started to go back up. Some are quite expensive. C4's are at the bottom of the price cycle. You can buy the best C4 they ever made for $30K. Go try and buy a mint L88 for $30K.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:42 AM
freewayflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Meyer
I have got a lot of advice, now that I have reciever the advice an other question came to mind. I have had 2 back operations & the cutch on the Zo6 did not bother me.
Is there any difference in the amount of pressure between the C3/C4 to depress the clutch. Also does one shift better than the other...comparing the C3 to a ZF trans in a C4.

Thanks...it feels good to be back to the Forum.
Hi Don,

Because of your back issues, I'd reccommend a later C4. It would require less tinkering and the trans/clutch are easier, as I recall based on a test drive of an '89 I took a long time ago. Also, the seats are lot more supportive in a C4. My other piece of advice, is wait a bit to stash a few more bucks away. If you're willing to spend mid/upper teens, you'd get a much better vehicle.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:02 PM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

C3's are better for picking up chicks when cruising the retirement homes.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:11 PM
okinawa86vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I'll throw my hat in the ring....

I'm 26 and I've owned 6 vettes.... 85, 2 86's, 88, 96, and a 72.

Right now, I've got my 72 and I just picked up the second 86 with the intent to sell it, but I'm strongly considering keeping it. It would take a lot for me to get rid of my 72.

Because both generations were so long, it's difficult to say all C4s are this and all C3s are that.

Early C3s are good, pure machines. Not much in the way of emission controls, depending on the motor, they've got plenty of get up, and will do nothing but go up in value. But, they're not the plushest cars to cruise around in. Even so, I think my 72 is plenty comfortable to drive around in all day.

Later C3s got a lot of hits for their power, but they're good touring cars and are really pretty comfortable to ride in. You'll be able to get a pretty decent one for the money you want to spend.

Early C4s are loads of fun to drive. Stiff, torquey and a pretty abusive, the seats are really supportive and make you want to drive the car. As far as the pure and simple driving experience goes, these are my favorite. They're plenty fast to keep it fun and they simply handle amazing. Maintence wise, you'll be tinkering with it almost non stop like you would with a C3. Remember, these cars are all 20+ years old.

Later C4s are very comfortable, have good power, modern styled interiors and are generally good running. My 96 was the best running vette I've ever owned. I didn't have to put a dime into it other than routine maintence. Naturally, this bored me and I sold it......

All C4s are a bit hard to get into and out of. That may be an issue. I've had back surgery as well and I don't have a problem with getting in and out or driving either style. The seats are great in the early C4s and I was out driving my 88 within a couple weeks of having a couple vertabae fused.

The bottom line is it's all a matter of taste. There are some things one person may absolutely have to have and to others they're negotiable. Styling is a matter of taste, but doesn't really matter if you're buying the car for you and not to impress people.

Drive a number of cars from varying years to get a feel for wha you like. Inevitably, you'll fall in love with one and you'll have your answer.

Chris

Last edited by okinawa86vette; 04-22-2007 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

C4's are a bitch to get out of for us "older folk". C3's are MUCH easier.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 PM
72 LT1
Racer

freewayflyer
My other piece of advice, is wait a bit to stash a few more bucks away. If you're willing to spend mid/upper teens, you'd get a much better vehicle.
I vote for a C4. A '92 and NEWER 6spd would be a great car. With there 300hp LT1 engines, the '92 and up C4's offer a lot of performance AND comforts for the money. Just my .02
Old 04-22-2007, 09:39 PM
SEVNT6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,837 Likes on 831 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

As much as I love C3s...............
C4. A buddy of mine who's in the market for a C3 called me today about a '95 Coupe in the paper. We went to look at it and it's a beauty. Two owner, 85k, never hit or winter driven, very well taken care of. Asking price: 12K. That's alot of bang for the buck....

He might not be in the C3 market anymore..................
Old 04-22-2007, 11:02 PM
nuck
Burning Brakes

I just made sort of the same decision. Sold my Z06 winter of 05 and bought an 02 Viper last year. I sold the Viper last fall and decided I was not going to drop any money for a while on fast depreciating late model cars, so I ended up buying a C3 vert this winter. I love the look and the thing turns as many heads as my R/T 10 did but they are primitive. I took my Z06 on holidays one summer. I would not consider that with the C3.
The 69 is a weekend car only. The ride, the retro interior, the raw exhaust and mildly squirrelly steering all combine for the vintage experience, but like the Viper, not something I could deal with every day. All you have to do is feel the door mechanism as you enter, the seatbelt fit as you put it on, the road feel pounding up through the suspension, and you know you are in a 35 year old car. With a built motor, especially if you aren't concerned with matching numbers collectability, you can make her into a missile but it still won't be a car that you can commute in like the Z.
I ended up buying a 96LT4 coupe. Very nice, low mileage mid 90s coupes can be had for mid teens. 30mpg, readily available parts and nothing much worn out yet, and as good a commuter as your Z with the bonus of the targa top. Much less culture shock to a C5 owner.
If you want a weekend car I would go chrome bumper C3 just because of the resale. Tough to find one that doesn't need money into it for under around 14k though. If you want a car you can drive regularly I would stay away from the C3s. A low mileage late L82 car might not be bad but these are collectable and will run more money than LT1 C4s without the same performance or comfort. Also, even the less expensive late C3s are over 30 years old so they can soak up a bit of money before you get them right, and the base engine cars have under 200hp.
I chose the C4, at least for this year, but keep in mind that unlike the C3s, the C4s are still depreciating. On a 10k budget I think you can find a decent C4, with the decision being higher mileage LT1 vs lower mileage L48.

Last edited by nuck; 04-23-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:33 PM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Get the C3. IMHO, the C4 will be pretty much skipped over as classics down the road. They look too much like the Trans Am and Camaro models of the same years. Nothing holds a candle to the lines of a C3, they drip sex appeal and look like they're haulin a$$ even when they're standing still.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 AM
nuck
Burning Brakes

Okay forget what I said about the L82s being too pricey. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1677394
You would have to travel a bit but this seems to be an extremely good price for a car that is climbing in value. I am not generally a fan of the plastic bumper C3s but they have better interiors than the early cars and the L82 is the one to get.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

This is my first post since selling my Zo6 less than a yr ago. I miss the Vette world & want to buy another one that is less expensive & need some advice. I am now living on a retirement income & can only afford $10K max.
Would the C3 or C4 be better for my circumstances? I can do fiberglass & paint work (I have a paint booth, hyd. lift , mig & tig welders etc.)so my main concern is the reliability & maintence. I need to buy a driveable car w/manual trans. Please advise.

Thanks Don
Did you ever get that GMC finished?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Don Meyer
Instructor

No, I did not get the GMC done. Found out the frame was bent & had to start over from the frame up. Pretty depressed for a while, but I am still working on it. It's been 3 yrs. now.......I need a Vette badly to have a car to drive vs. working on one everyday.

www.meyerbrosrods.com

Some very good advice on this thread. I'm sure many people will benefit from reading it.

Don Meyer
Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 AM
CLINTR79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I Would Get A C3 I Bought Mine A Few Months Ago 1981 I Drive It On Nice Days Not Perfect But Not Bad It Had New Paint On It Before I Bought And Interior Looks Good For 5500 With 87000 Miles
Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

No, I did not get the GMC done. Found out the frame was bent & had to start over from the frame up. Pretty depressed for a while, but I am still working on it. It's been 3 yrs. now.......I need a Vette badly to have a car to drive vs. working on one everyday.

www.meyerbrosrods.com

Some very good advice on this thread. I'm sure many people will benefit from reading it.

Don Meyer
I remember you running into the bent frame problem. Good luck getting it on the road.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Don Meyer
Instructor

I drove a 94 C4 vert today & was disappointed. It drove, shifted & rode great, but there was a lot of cowl shake, rattles & it was hard to get ot of. The interior was also of poor quality. I do not know if a coupe would be better.

I think I will look for a C3. I'll be looking for one in good mech. condition, but needing fiberglass/paint work. It's been 28 years since I owned a C3.

Don Meyer
Old 04-26-2007, 04:00 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by randommj
HARSH

c4 would be a better daily driver, c3 better looking and all arround more fun to drive (MY oppinoin)
Miles

I would suggest driving both.

I have one of each (a 69 and a 93). I can tell you the C4 is more comfortable and rides and handles much better, but the C3 gets all the .

If you have, or are starting to have any problems with mobility I can tell you that the C3 is much easier to get into and out of than a C4. Those high side sills can be a real pain.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:39 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have both and for you I would say a C4 will better suit you. you can get a lot of C4 for 10K, I paid 8K for my 93 a few months back and it is clean and had 94K miles, C4 is not my favorite generation but it is a nice car for the $. 10K should get a low mileage 93-94 or fairly nice 95-96
Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 PM
msb184
Instructor

Default Best

It sounds like you are a good "old school" mechanic. I now own a C-3 & a C-5,but I've had a couple of C-4's in the past. IMHO the C-3 is the better looking car that lends itself to repair more easily than a C-4. The C-4 is a transition model. The C-3 is the last of the old low-tech 'vette's. The C-4 was very difficult to maintain & repair. Everything on those cars seemed to require some special knowledge or equipment to test or repair. The C-4 rode, drove & handled better than the C-3. In spite of that I enjoy my '70 BB 5 speed more than either of my C-4's. It "feels more like a Corvette" to me. The C-5? Well... it's definately high tech but it feels like a Corvette again.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Don Meyer
Instructor

Because of the ease of repair & the ease of getting in & out, I am going to go for a C3.
I am hoping to get a driveable car that I can afford. Anyone know of a C3 that might meet my expectations?(Florida car)

Thanks Don Meyer

Quick Reply: C3 or C4